Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Is the RC still in a hallway ?

Is the resort fee charged to Diamonds ? Charged for FFN stays ?

--
I was at the hotel a few weeks back and it is still one of my favorites.

The RC is not in the hallway. There is a relatively large room with a few small balconies in the main room and a large terrace across the hall with lots of seats outside -- I don't recall seeing any tables in the hallway.

There is no charge for resort fee for FFN. I'm not sure about paid stays.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:23 am

Diamonds (at least this one!) definitely pay resort fees on $$$ stays.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:28 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971
RC is indeed nice, especially the big balcony opposite from the entrance.
Just finished a 4 night stay here.

Really enjoyed the RC here, breakfast spread was terrific IMO (fresh cut fruit, lox/bagels, great granola made by the pastry chef as well as well made pastries, juices)

for sure, the large balcony was great, especially as it was in the 60's which for most was "too cold" but for us was fantastic so we always had the balcony to ourselves.

Wasn't impressed with the evening snacks, very mediocre overall, some decent cheese selections, grilled asparagus and marinade mushrooms were the best items imo. No hot selections.

Didn't inquire about the bikes like subdawg used, we hiked or had good walks everyday we were there.

Adult pool is quite relaxing and QUIET, Even the cell phone "I'm so important" folks got it and either didn't take calls or were courteous and went elsewhere to talk^^^ Service at the pool was terrific & prompt, poolside menu leaves a lot to be desired, not many choices.

Room has mini bar but also a spare fridge to keep items chilled^^

I don't think we received an upgraded room as Diamond but didn't care as we don't spend time in the room except to sleep. Bed/pillows are wonderful, very good quality.

Self Parking was easy for us as we were on the wing near the self parking area, I don't recall if there is parking on both sides of the resort, I can imagine it might be a bit of hike if coming from the other side of the resort.

Perhaps the title of this thread needs to be changed to Hyatt Grand Champions - Indian Wells CA (Palm Springs) ?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:29 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I too finished a brief one night stay here.
Diamond treatment was excellent(great upgrade to suite though no view) Team members rarely remember the Diamond amenity at check in.
I just call GP and have the points added.
Have completetely given up asking for it and putting the agents on the spot.Its not that important anyway.

Regency Club excellent and I agree the granola is excellent though the granola at the Park Hyatt in Philadelphia is still better though not the hotel.
Here is proof that a hotel can still do a great breakfast in a bad economy and give perfect reason to return.
On the other hand the Hyatt Regency La Jolla is doing a terrible job in the Regency Club(not as good as some two star properties) and Hyatt allows for the extreme lowering of past standards
I know avoid the hotel at all costs
When I do choose a Hyatt in San Diego I almost always choose Mission Bay ^
Which also does fairly nice job
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
According to hyatt.com, the RC will be closed over the summer again, at least for 2 months, as they did earlier this decade.

Please note, Regency Club Closed will be closed July 6th - September 3rd
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Resort fee now $25 ??

I just booked three nights next week via priceline at $60.00 which I am quite happy with.

I knew there would be a resort fee, though according to hyatt.com, the fee is now $25.36 per night?

9.250 Percent tax
25.36united States Dollars Resort Fee/Levy Assessment 2percent USD Other Charges

Anyone ever have any luck negotiating the fee? Something around $15.00 is fair I suppose, but a resort fee nearly half the nightly rate I'm paying plus another ten a night for wi-fi.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: Various
Regarding extra fees etc at this property:

The resort fee is $25+ as stated per day. This fee includes the use of all pools and jacuzzis, fitness room, spa facilities (even if no paid treatment is taken) and wireless internet (but not use of business center)

Also, in the past the resort fee included self parking, parking fees are now ADDITIONAL. Self Parking $10 and Valet $25 (each per day).
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Definitely hit up the spa facilities if you are paying $25 for it. The Resort Fee used to be $18 I think, and included use of the spa facilities. To recoup part of my $18 Resort Fee investment, I just used 5x as much shampoo and conditioner when taking my showers in the spa.
Yes, the resort fee used to be $18. The soap and amenities in the spa are a no-name brand BTW. The spa facilities include: Locker, relaxation area (indoor), steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, cool down pool (45F I think), indoor showers, and outdoor showers (including a Swiss style 10-head shower).

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
How exactly do they plan to enforce that one? The honor system? After gouging you out of $25 for the resort fee they think you'll tell them if your car is really in the lot of not? Or do they have new parking pass mirror hangers or something now? Or new gate access to the parking lot? Otherwise the "paid" parking will be just as pathetic as at GH Kauai.
The parking enforcement is already in effect. There is a temporary kiosk that is staffed 6am-12am located just after the conference center and before the spa. You are given a mirror hangar/pass with a date. One of the employees told me a permanent booth is going to be built, and I presume they can check your name in a computer system once that happens.

On a side note, this property has slipped to a 4 star since (?) and is in a lower category for GP points usage. It seems since the European GM left 2-3 years ago, they haven't really kept things as nice as I remember. Dinged up furniture and somewhat worn fixtures, carpet, towels, etc.. Still comfortable, but maybe I've refined my palate a bit since my first few visits.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robt760
Regarding extra fees etc at this property:

The resort fee is $25+ as stated per day. This fee includes the use of all pools and jacuzzis, fitness room, spa facilities (even if no paid treatment is taken) and wireless internet (but not use of business center)

Also, in the past the resort fee included self parking, parking fees are now ADDITIONAL. Self Parking $10 and Valet $25 (each per day).
Unfortunately, the spa is not included anymore.

I was charged $ 20 for using the facilities ( no treatment booked )

Quick summary for Diamond members:

August rates between $ 75 and 95.
RC open with great concierges, very nice terrace and food
Resort fee of $ 18 ( parking included, internet via T Mobile was $ 10 a day )

August rates between $ 75 and 95
RC closed
Resort fee of $ 25 ( internet included )
Parking fees of $ 10 overnight
Spa entrance fee of $ 20 ( steam room partly broken )
Resort fee will not be waived anymore for Diamond members...

For the first time ever, as a loyal Diamond, and despite an upgrade to one of their Penthouse suites, I left a Hyatt resort 2 days earlier than originally planned.

After some mediocre stays at the Texas resorts earlier this year, witnessing the severe downgrades of the RC at Bonita Springs in May, even Grand Champions cannot deliver anymore. Reading the comments about Grand Cypress and the problems of some well respected users here, not even Grand Cypress seems to be up to their usual high standards...

Bernd Chorengel, please take over the US resorts as well !!!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:00 pm

I remain a fan of this property.Sure there are bumps in the road
Everytime I return they do go out of their way to upgrade.
When anything does go wrong management always in the past steps in to make it right.The folks that work there have been exceptionally nice to me.Those are things that really matter to me

Downsides the AC system in the rooms are terribly old and nosiy.The room is starting to feel dated especially the condition of the shower stalls
The beds are nice thankfully and when it is open the Regency club absolutely rocks with nice offerings and helpful team members that care.

After a long time steep resort fee I thought the recent self parking move was not the brighest idea I have ever seen. Especially when the resort is dead in the inferno of summer and stands to lose potential business.
In season fair game whatever take the money and run

At my recent check in they acted like they were doing me a big favor to take the parking off my bill.My confirmation email still said free parking (sigh)
That wasn't a favor IMO it was the policy until just recently and they should have informed guests of the changes for a future stay and comped it for this time based on reservation dates
Of course I was still billed at check out and had to call to reverse the charge

I am warming up to Hyatt again on the whole it is the one program that has made the most improvements this past year IMO ^
The Diamond options are starting to make me want to stay more with them.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I remain a fan of this property.Sure there are bumps in the road
Everytime I return they do go out of their way to upgrade.
When anything does go wrong management always in the past steps in to make it right.The folks that work there have been exceptionally nice to me.Those are things that really matter to me

Downsides the AC system in the rooms are terribly old and nosiy.The room is starting to feel dated especially the condition of the shower stalls
The beds are nice thankfully and when it is open the Regency club absolutely rocks with nice offerings and helpful team members that care.

I am warming up to Hyatt again on the whole it is the one program that has made the most improvements this past year IMO ^
The Diamond options are starting to make me want to stay more with them.
This is exactly why I am so disappointed. I come back at least once a year since years now travelling 10k from Europe and despite some serious competitors in the valley, always returned to the GC or the Suites downtown, when a FFN promo was ongoing. Always received great upgrades and although suites or rooms on the club floor used to be gone, especially during high season, they always went out of their way to make sure that one was enjoying the stay, staff at the RC is outstanding.The main restaurant is still great value for money.

I also second your last comment, Hyatt is a positive example of an anti-trend within the travel industry, because they actually increased the perks and benefits of elite membership. I could not complain before the changes, but nowadays it is even more attractive.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:44 pm

Lightbulb A New World Coming

Thanks for the kind words and feedback
It is of my opinion that Grand Champions will probably need to rethink the parking situation with the resort fee during slow periods
It could be a real deal killer to have 33 dollars in total fees before room rate and taxes and then perhaps more expense with the valet parking up-charges
While that might hold up short haul I believe over time with the long walk from the parking lot and the added self parking charges some are going to rethink their future plans.Especially in a tight economy

That said even more so when the Hyatt Regency Palm Springs Suites completes its ongoing renovations this November.
I think the Hyatt Downtown may just have one of the best properties Palm Springs has seen in many years with its great location.My own preference

The good folks on the new management team gave me a sneak preview last month of the new rooms.The model room I previewed may differ from the completed rooms however. I have to say in my many years of coming to Palm Springs I have never felt so fantastic in a guest room or suite.
I didn't want to exit the room in a hurry for the first time.I wanted to linger and enjoy the space
Considering how tired and dreadful this hotel had become its a miracle with just the proposal but the best may be yet to come
The rooms stand to be really beautiful with state of the art flat screen tvs in the living room and bedroom with beautiful new furniture and wall coverings.
The photos of the revitalized lobby space takes the property off the tired 70s doldrums and thrusts it into the future with a world class feel unexpected for Downtown Palm Springs.Hotel ZoZo will probably lose what edge it had

This is one of the better Hyatt remakes I have seen proposed for a hotel in a long time.However the finished product is not done and many months away from completion so the final product remains to be seen
My gut feeling is the hotel is going to become one of the top destination properties in the area if pricing doesn't get out of hand and execution and the intended improvements get fully executed
I am excited to have the property back as a choice in the revitalized Gold Passport program ^
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jayer
Per day or per visit? Much as spa day access comp makes me much more likely to return to a hotel.
Per day.

Discussed this with some employees at GC, they argued that too many guests, not booking a service at the spa, used the facilities and 'ruined' the experience for those guests paying for massages etc.

Considering that they have 500+ rooms and are booked frequently plus also get business from local residents, I assume it is a fair argument, however if you believe that your facilities are note big enough, it is time to expand them ( maybe the $ 20 will help )

IMO, the problem lies within the relaxation/post treatment/sauna areas, some other Hyatt resorts have far more space to grab a seat and relax by the spa pool. Honestly, we always use to spa facilities at almost all resorts and avoid the main pools with all the kids, noise and way too many people....
Old Aug 21, 2009, 12:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

That said even more so when the Hyatt Regency Palm Springs Suites completes its ongoing renovations this November.
I think the Hyatt Downtown may just have one of the best properties Palm Springs has seen in many years with its great location.My own preference

The good folks on the new management team gave me a sneak preview last month of the new rooms.The model room I previewed may differ from the completed rooms however. I have to say in my many years of coming to Palm Springs I have never felt so fantastic in a guest room or suite.
I didn't want to exit the room in a hurry for the first time.I wanted to linger and enjoy the space
Considering how tired and dreadful this hotel had become its a miracle with just the proposal but the best may be yet to come
The rooms stand to be really beautiful with state of the art flat screen tvs in the living room and bedroom with beautiful new furniture and wall coverings.
The photos of the revitalized lobby space takes the property off the tired 70s doldrums and thrusts it into the future with a world class feel unexpected for Downtown Palm Springs.Hotel ZoZo will probably lose what edge it had

This is one of the better Hyatt remakes I have seen proposed for a hotel in a long time.However the finished product is not done and many months away from completion so the final product remains to be seen
My gut feeling is the hotel is going to become one of the top destination properties in the area if pricing doesn't get out of hand and execution and the intended improvements get fully executed
I am excited to have the property back as a choice in the revitalized Gold Passport program ^
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to finally see the Regency Suites once they are completely renovated.

However, to be honest, I have quite some issues:

First of all, the staff is well below Hyatt standards. They should keep in mind that this a Hyatt Regency after all and people should dress up accordingly. Guys checking me in and out in their own wardrobe ( including T-Shirts ) instead of a certain dress code is in my opinion something that should be addressed.

Covering the breakfast tables with white paper in order to save the costs and work to wash and replace the regular table-cloth is disgusting, this is a Hyatt Regency after all and not a YMCA or post little league BBQ session, where everyone sits near a ball park on some garden tables...

Once I read that they invest $ 14 million, my first thought was that this is not a lot of money given the condition and set up of the 200 room property. The pink marble used more or less everywhere is reminiscent of the late Sinatra era, but I fear, if they do not replace it, it still feel very 1970's and could result in a strange combination of modern minimalism ( dark colours, dark marble and wood ) and pink marble. Basically, the whole structure needs a paint job, especially the ceiling of the atrium where the paint does not even cover the walls anymore, e.g. above the restaurant.

I am also looking forward to see how they replace the plants on the balconies of the room and of the highest floor of the atrium. Nowadays, modern grass is available, that is always green and in a certain shape, at least for the atrium, this looks amazing and not like the current plants that have grown almost uncut in all directions...balconies do not have any plants anymore, which looks kind of broken and cheap...

Finally, judging from the pictures in the lobby, it will be interesting to see to which demographic they like to appeal. Judging from several stays over the last years, but almost always on weekdays, I guess the average age of the guest does not really fit to the lounging W Hotels pool crowds seen on those pictures hanging around those cabanas..., maybe they like to target a new customer base, but this looks difficult, especially on weekdays.

Probably, more likely to happen on weekends and I guess this crowd coming mostly from LA would appreciate the 20-30 minutes less time to get there in comparison with the resorts in Rancho and Indian Wells and the ability to walk to some shops and restaurants...

Again, really looking forward to the final results...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:03 pm

Everyone has their personal preferences when taking a hotel stay
The key items for me are
How they treat me (dress code optional)
Program recognition and in house benefits
Food and beverage quality
Good room standard
I believe the HR Suites will be a revitalized property

The only problem I see currently is the Diamond breakfast benefit
it should be for a set amount or cover a guests choices as most Hyatt properties do
The hotel appears deeply concerned about giving the value that other Hyatt properties regularly deliver to Diamonds for the complimentary breakfast
The server nervously warned us only eggs were included
Waffles would be charged at the full price
The whole situation was embarrassing.
Especially as they at one time would deliver a great full breakfast through in room dining for the complimentary Diamond breakfast
Hyatt needs to get the policy consistent
Its gone from feast to famine in the dining room

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.