Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2004, 3:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by ricepaddy2
Good Regency Club, but lots of screaming kids...oooh my headache is coming back from the memory.
Regency club will most likely be very, very quiet, in fact it probably will be closed When I was there in December it was closed, I believe it is only open in peak season, New Years until about April. Maybe also open around Thanksgiving.

They also have bicycles that you can rent for free. The pool area is fantastic. $149 is not a bad rate, but in the summer you may actually find nicer hotels in that area for that price as the dessert region is just too hot for many people.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:39 pm

We have a 6 night stay at the Indian Wells location coming up in late October. I'm hoping for some much-needed sunshine before the winter sets in

Any suggestions on things to do in the area for the best part of a week? Do they offer tennis coaching at the resort?

Also we're staying on a combination of GP points and FFN awards. By the time of our stay we'll be Diamond status again. What kind of Diamond upgrades do they offer at this location - any chance of the villas?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
You'll have a great time - don't think they upgrade to the villas, though. We've always gotten the big suite with 2 balconies & kitchen - can't remember the number, tho. Not bad at all. They also have a separate adult pool here which, if you don't have obnoxious adults on cheap rates getting drunk at, is a very peaceful & lovely place to relax. Use your Diamond breakfast tickets in the bar if it's open - a lot calmer than the regular restaurant in the am. We had a wonderful dinner out on the patio of the restaurant one night - food really pleasantly surprised me!

Weather out there is great - 98 today - wish I were there! Have been highly recommended a new restaurant that was closed when we were there (thru Labor Day, so should be open now) - Desert Sage. The new River shopping area is fun at walk around & there's always El Paseo & the Living Desert.

Have fun!
Old Sep 19, 2004, 5:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AndrewC
We have a 6 night stay at the Indian Wells location coming up in late October. I'm hoping for some much-needed sunshine before the winter sets in

Any suggestions on things to do in the area for the best part of a week? Do they offer tennis coaching at the resort?

Also we're staying on a combination of GP points and FFN awards. By the time of our stay we'll be Diamond status again. What kind of Diamond upgrades do they offer at this location - any chance of the villas?
We were upgraded to one of their Penthouse Suites last year on 2 out of 3 stays, on the first one we were given a regular room on the RC floor, which was indeed huge.RC is closed after Easter until shortly before X-Mas, I was told, this despite occupancy levels of 95 % on weekends

Rates drop dramatically to $ 85 during the summer and on weekdays, weekends run in the $ 130 range, make sure to double check, if AAA rates are available, cause they come with a full breakfast voucher, the Grand Slam Breakfast ( no buffet offered last year )
The Diamond Cont. Breakfast is absolutely pathetic, juice, coffee/tea and two pieces of danish.

Tennis lessons should be available, they have three courts next to the spa, IIRC.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
We were able to do the full breakfast buffet on vouchers (set up in the Bar, not the one in the restaurant) & it was very nice - much better than basic - waffles, fruit, croissants, oatmeal, etc.

Actually, the first morning, I complained about the service in the restaurant & they let us order anything we wanted. I ordered the lobster omlette - wasn't worth it - I'd stick with the more basic offerings!
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:58 pm

Just got back from PS.

It is truly an impressive property - much better than the Scottsdale resort, for example.

We were only given a regular room (with pool view), which as a Diamond I was a little disappointed by, but we had access to the Regency Club. The RC itself was excellent and the staff very helpful. Breakfast buffet wasn't lavish but was more than adequate.

The pool area and spa are excellent. It's just a shame that it rained for 2 days of our 5 day stay

I'd go back...
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:12 pm

Programs: Various
Some additional notes:

**There is a newer section of the hotel that is closer to the Spa/further from the lobby. The rooms are a bit more modern and as of last summer there was no additional charge to use the DSL. The older rooms, had a sort of 80's feel to them, with lots of glass, brass, and marble...some rooms are on a split level for the sitting area in this section.

**There is a $15 resort fee, this includes:
-Parking
-Use of Spa/Work Out Facilities
-Slightly Upgraded Amenities/Toiletries

**There are several pools, including an adult pool which is a bit more secluded.

**There are suites on the Top Floor, though I'm not sure how many or what they look like.

**There are casitas in the back of the property, which have the privacy of your own little house in a secluded area.

**There is a Regency Club at this property, but only during their "high" season, which is Oct - May. The rooms are pretty much the same but are close to the regency club.

**Point of interest...To me this is a 4.5 star resort. It is close to the same calibur of the Huntington Beach Resort and the Lake Las Vegas Resort, which are both newer, but are very spacious.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 6:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
It's a great hotel. The renovations a few years back improved it considerably. The RC is nice, pools good, and great health club.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:46 am

I'm a big fan. We've stayed at the Ritz Carlton and many other hotels in the area and this is my favorite.

The property is fairly large but has a nice feel to it. The Regency Club is delightful and the spa is second only to the one in Kauai...

We're already planning our next visit (and we live a LONG way away!)
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Robt760 points out, while this is not a luxury resort, it is nonetheless a very nice upscale place. We spent several days in one of the 2BR casitas this time last year, and it was quite nice to come back to each day, even if the "butler" never re-appeared for our entire stay once we had checked in.

High speed internet access was strange: it was available in some rooms but not others, and not available at all in the casitas, their highest end accomodation. Possibly that was in progress and is now complete. Why do hotels take so long to be retrofitted with this, especially when in most cases, wi-fi is not that expensive to install?

Overall a pleasant experience and I would be happy to go back again.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:43 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
When I lived in San Diego, I was looking for a "destination" Hyatt I could drive to to burn FFNs over long weekends. Grand Champios would come in third place for me now behind Lake Las Vegas and Huntington Beach. I was never greatly impressed with anything at this property, nor was I greatly disappointed.

Last edited by divaof travel; Dec 26, 2004 at 5:55 am
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We really miss the SEARCH function as there have been numerous comments on this property!

I, among many others, have stayed there. It is a nice upscale resort. Diamonds are frequently upgraded to large RC floor rooms -- although the Club is evidentally only open during high season.

We bargained (for an extra daily fee) with the manager on duty to get upgraded to a casita instead of being in two rooms. The casitas are in a separate area and have a large living room in addition to bedroom/bathroom accomodations. Upgrades to a casita apparently don't happen, even for Diamonds.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:53 am

We enjoyed the property, the RC was open when we went in early Dec. We liked the fact that they had bikes available.

We got a suite with a nice view of the mountains. Would recommend!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:04 am

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
Most of the top floor rooms (RC Club Level) are suites, most with large balcony and fireplace, and large marble baths. However, some are regular rooms in the older wing. RC club is nice. Nice spa and HC too!

Other properties to consider (per your request) are the Esmerelda (next door) which is a Marriott-Ren property. Also, Marriott Desert Springs Resort (A JW Marriott) in Palm Desert. The Lodge (formerly Ritz Carlton) in Rancho Mirage is also wonderful!

Weather has been 'iffy' here but still better than many parts of the country.

Have fun!

Last edited by PSGlenn; Feb 15, 2005 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Explore
I'll be staying at this property near the end of February.

According to AAA Tourbook, the only parking option is valet. Is this correct? How much $? I assume street parking nearby is nonexistent?

Thx!

Plenty of free self parking, when i was there in November and April last year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.