Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I had two stays here during September, and was quite satisfied with both. Some minor complaints but nothing really big.
For Diamonds they do charge the $23 resort fee but there is a $5 discount, so you actually pay $18 a night. In addition you don't have to pay the $10 self parking fee....

On my first stay I was upgraded to one of the Penthouse suites. Great room, I especially liked having the balcony overlooking the pool with two seats and one big lounger. Great for starting the day (in the shade) or ending the day with a beer overlooking the mountains.

On my second stay there was no upgrade. Initially got, what I felt , was one of the worst rooms, a club room on the 5th floor overlooking the golf course but one that had it's balcony very close to the central airco facilities making it totally unusable due to the noise. Fortunately the hotel wasn't full so it was an easy switch to another club room, this one a lot better and overlooking the pool. But you have no privacy on these very small balconies, so I didn't use it much.

In general the service I got from all the staff I encountered was very good.

They also have a nice big lounge with two balconies. Service there was great as well.... but I wasn't really impressed with the food on offer. Especially breakfast was very boring and I was really missing a decent warm breakfast option. On my second stay I decided to have breakfast in the restaurant and then finishing with some juice/fruit in the lounge.

They have a very decent fitness center as well. Only thing for me that was missing was a Concept2 rower, but those are hard to find in any of the US properties. And a great selection of pools. My last stay included a weekend and I liked having some live music at the adult pool then.

The things I didn't like:
- The self parking. A big lot that has no shade for most of the spaces and when there is a conference (both times I was there) gets filled to capacity so when you go out (those conference people seem to stay at the hotel) you will have to park at the far end. Getting to your room might be quite a distance. Some protection from the sun should really be provided here, your car will be extremely hot.
- The lounge offering were very basic, but that's the case for most US lounge it seems.
- The inconsistency in assigning a room. Getting a penthouse suite upgrade on my first stay was great, but it was setting some expectations for my next stay. Then getting a not so great room and no upgrade, while suites were still being sold, was a bit of a let down.
- The noise of the airconditioning in the room. Especially in the suite there was a lot of noise from the motor that seemed to be housed close to the entrance. But you could hear them all over the hotel. The noise was so bad I had to turn of the airco at night because I couldn't sleep otherwise. Fortunately the room didn't heat up all that much during the night so this was only a minor problem, and with the temperatures here probably not very much they can do. But it was a really loud and annoying humming sound.....

But overall a property I would go back to.

Some pictures:

The Penthouse suite

A basic room

The regency club terras and the adult pool

Last edited by RTW1; Sep 29, 2013 at 6:40 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
1 bedroom villa

Stayed at the property this weekend and was upgraded to a 1 bedroom villa. I have stayed at the property many times in the past and had never been upgraded to a villa, only to regular suites.

The villas are really nice overall. The furnishings are a little outdated/stale, but they are very nice. The 1 bedroom is extremely spacious. The main room is large, it has a large circular table and a sofa. You can walk out to the patio area which is really nice as well. The only complaint I had was that my patio area was completely shaded (I was in Villa 619). The splash pool was a nice plus. I didn't have a chance to use the grill, but it would be a nice perk. However, there isn't a kitchen, so it would be impossible to cook anything else.

The bathroom is really large. It has a tub and a separate shower. The vanity is very long and there is plenty of space for 2 people to get ready at the same time.

The bedroom is pretty much a standard hotel room. Bed was very comfy.

A nice perk is the butler service. I called them for a few things and they were at my room in about 1 minute or less. They brought me some fresh fruit and a newspaper. Nothing bad to say about the butler staff.

Overall, the villas were really nice. I would like to get a look at a 2 bedroom villa.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had another great stay there - this time in a hospitality suite. I have the impression that one is even bigger than penthouse suite and possibly 1 bdr villa if you only look at interior space.
No kids inside the lounge after 5 pm sign prominently posted - a very reasonable policy since families can eat on the patio (pictured a couple posts above). There were hot options both for breakfast and dinner.
Got a welcome card from Doug Sears, a couple large glass bottles of evian and fruit plate. ^
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Had a pretty good stay in an executive suite. Used a suite upgrade from long ago, I'm a platinum now. Seemed like two rooms connected, but I loved the big bathtub. It was also convenient to the pool and not too bad. I paid a rate of $115 so I can't complain. The WiFi was really slow, so I was able to get them to waive the resort fee Here is my review.

http://romsdeals.com/2013/10/21/hyat...ls-trip-report
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Another very good stay here a few days ago. I was looking for a place to relax a bit and do some work after a few weeks of travelling, and that's exactly what I got.

Just like last time I was there I got one of the Penthouse Suites, I really like the big balconies these have for a leisurely start and end of the day.

Nothing much has changed since my last stay. Best feature is the great staff, the things I like the least are the very noisy AC and the mediocre offerings in the lounge (no chilled beverages in these temperatures?).

I was there during the week and the property was rather empty which made it a bit less interesting. But still a great stay... I'm sure I will be back.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by RTW1
Another very good stay here a few days ago. I was looking for a place to relax a bit and do some work after a few weeks of travelling, and that's exactly what I got.

Just like last time I was there I got one of the Penthouse Suites, I really like the big balconies these have for a leisurely start and end of the day.

Nothing much has changed since my last stay. Best feature is the great staff, the things I like the least are the very noisy AC and the mediocre offerings in the lounge (no chilled beverages in these temperatures?).

I was there during the week and the property was rather empty which made it a bit less interesting. But still a great stay... I'm sure I will be back.
How was the breakfast? in years past the lounge was outstanding in quality and offerings for a Continental
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:12 pm

This was a nice property. As a diamond first time visitor they upgraded us to a 1 bed room villa on points might I add. It was very modern and new feeling. We had a private backyard with bbq, spa, and dining tables. The lounge was nice but not too many offerings during the day. There were many pools and outdoor dining, overall a nice place to go and just relax.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm a bit picky about breakfast, I almost like having an extensive breakfast better than having dinner.... So my views might be a bit tainted :-).

I found the breakfast in the club here above average for the US. Still rather average in my view since it's fairly low quality food. Cheap OJ, cups with yoghurt, etc. and I never really liked the hot item they had. But there was a decent coffee machine, good croissants and muffins and better than average fruit. So probably in the 20% of best US club breakfasts.

What I repeated from my last stay was having some eggs in the restaurant downstairs and then finishing with the rest in the club.

The evening offerings were a bit less in my opininion, althought I liked the desserts half of the time.

But I guess I should stop comparing with clubs in Asia or elsewhere, it's never going to reach that level.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
I agree, most of the breakfast buffets in the US, even in the more upscale clubs, are used to feed the masses as cheap as possible.

I am already happy to see salmon being offered, but often the quality leaves a lot to be desired and even some very basic fixings for a decent cream cheese bagel are missing.

Breakfast downstairs on the terrace (forgot the name of the restaurant) is very decent and strongly recommend. Lots of shade, fans, comfy seats and a nice view of the garden and fairways are just an available AAA rate away.

The Penthouse suites are very nice; one of ten best rooms/suites in the US that a Diamond can ask for and get for free frequently.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by FD1971
I agree, most of the breakfast buffets in the US, even in the more upscale clubs, are used to feed the masses as cheap as possible.

I am already happy to see salmon being offered, but often the quality leaves a lot to be desired and even some very basic fixings for a decent cream cheese bagel are missing.

Breakfast downstairs on the terrace (forgot the name of the restaurant) is very decent and strongly recommend. Lots of shade, fans, comfy seats and a nice view of the garden and fairways are just an available AAA rate away.

The Penthouse suites are very nice; one of ten best rooms/suites in the US that a Diamond can ask for and get for free frequently.
Hyatt historically to their credit in full service properties has had
above average industry standards with select properties being outstanding.
There has been some signs of serious slippage in select properties due to cost cutting and trying to serve offerings more like a limited service property
Speaking of Salmon in some properties (rarely) the salmon is so bad I have had to spit it out in a napkin. Sorry to be so graphic but illustrates my point
Then there are select hotels where they nail it like Grand Hyatt DFW where even the fresh OH is squeezed while you wait by request.Time to start a thread on Hyatt dining!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FD1971
That's where I went for the substantial part of breakfast, Lantana :-). Indeed a nice place. I would really favor something of a system where if you decide to have breakfast in the restaurant intead of the club you would get a discount, like 50% off. That's probably not going to happen in general even though some properties offer something simular, but for people like me who like their breakfast it would be great. Now paying $20+ to have a free breakfast doesn't really feel so good. But it's a minor thing and a free choice.

I also appreciate that penthouse suite, got it as a free upgrade the first time I visited the property. And that really worked (for them as well), I now keep coming back and will likely try to get that suite before arrival. Although I'm pretty sure they don't really get much out of that DSU when the property is half empty..... They might make up a bit for that with the bill I run up for the Mojito's though.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
There has been some signs of serious slippage in select properties due to cost cutting and trying to serve offerings more like a limited service property
I think it has been slipping in general. The weird thing is that, even though I don't stay there often, some of the HP breakfast offering are (almost) on par with the average club. The last few times their warm offerings were better than what I see in most clubs... And since that is available for everyone at substantially lower rates it shows it can be done.

I was really surprised last time when I stayed at a HP for less than $100 a night. Got a very decent room, free parking and a decent breakfast.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1
That's where I went for the substantial part of breakfast, Lantana :-). Indeed a nice place. I would really favor something of a system where if you decide to have breakfast in the restaurant intead of the club you would get a discount, like 50% off. That's probably not going to happen in general even though some properties offer something simular, but for people like me who like their breakfast it would be great. Now paying $20+ to have a free breakfast doesn't really feel so good. But it's a minor thing and a free choice.

I also appreciate that penthouse suite, got it as a free upgrade the first time I visited the property. And that really worked (for them as well), I now keep coming back and will likely try to get that suite before arrival. Although I'm pretty sure they don't really get much out of that DSU when the property is half empty..... They might make up a bit for that with the bill I run up for the Mojito's though.
Ahh, good old memories.

I stayed there so often back in the days, but in recent years I started to take a closer look at the competitors after reading some not so nice reviews from trustworthy contributors (not the usual 'they did not get me an upgrade to the Pres. Suite bla bla bla complaints) and after the games they started to play with all the surcharges, parking etc.

Nothing beats the balcony of a Penthouse Suite, but the Starlights Casitas at the La Quinta and terrace suites at the Westin come very close.

If you exclude the balcony, the bi-level regular rooms are also very nice in case the place is booked. Spa area is also nice, still one of the better Hyatt Resorts in the US.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum,
I just stayed here as a diamond this past weekend. Did not get upgraded beyond a club king but was a nice room other than its poor location. I did want to report that contrary to what I have read here I was not charged a resort fee (or for parking) paid $100 a night and was a great stay.

Edit:If you take a photo in a few places on the grounds show it to the front desk for free sunscreen and aloe

Last edited by goldenargo85; Jun 22, 2014 at 5:04 pm Reason: added a tip
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:43 am

Does anyone know if they plan on closing the Club Lounge this summer like they usually do? I'd rather have the extra 2,500 points and breakfast in the restaurant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.