Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells (Grand Champions -Palm Springs, CA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by mattolo
We stayed here Labor Day weekend, right after the renovations were completed and the hotel re-opened (see my post above for trying to get a diamond suite upgrade applied). Our stay was pretty good, although I don't know if we'll go back. We used the Diamond Suite upgrade and were given a penthouse suite. I asked about a Villa at check-in but they wanted to charge an extra $150 per night.
I'm curious if they booked you into the Penthouse Suite or if they booked you into the Hospitality Suite and then further upgraded you to a Penthouse Suite at time of checkin? I agree with the above poster that $150 extra per night for a Villa is worth it, although MAYBE not during the summer when the rates are only like $100 for a base room. But the Villas are MUCH larger, much more private, and you can't go wrong with your own BBQ station, jacuzzi, and backyard.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Did the recent renovations (summer 2012) include any updates to the pools? More water slides??
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Their website indicates that the only renovations done during the past summer were to a takeout cafe. We were there for a week in April and so far as we knew all the other renovations had been completed. We saw no additional water slides or any construction going on at the property.

It really is a great place, especially for those who have kids or who want to golf. The villas, in particular, are really something.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: US Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Avis First, (Former Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, and DL Gold)
Penthouse vs. Executive Suite

Hi. I only stumbled upon FT several months ago, but I've quickly become a big fan. I'm glad for the opportunity to finally post.

On a 3-night reservation at IW --now 2-night after snags connecting through PHI today-- I applied a Diamond suite UG award, which booked me automatically into their Executive Suite. Calling the front desk tonight, I inquired about the Penthouse Suite availability instead. After checking with the manager, the assistant said he could upgrade me for $50 addl per night, but also said he personally prefers the executive suite to the penthouse (b/c of full kitchenette and patio / walk-out to the pool area).

Has anyone stayed in both? Any suggestions? $150 (now $100) isn't a lot, but its a nice dinner for two, a late-play greens fee, etc., so I'm not sure if its worth it if there's not that big a difference between the suite types. I think the Penthouses have 1.5 or 2 baths, which I find really nice when traveling with the family. What's the set-up in the executive suite?

About my trip to IW -- its the front-end of a much needed vacation with my wife and five year-old daughter, which will end in SAN for 4 nights. We're lucky to have especially nice upgraded accommodations in SAN (hooray for loyalty programs when they work), so I'm feeling a bit gluttonous reaching for yet more perks.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

FYI --I figure this is something other FT'ers might want to know if they're ever in a similar predicament:

I'd prepaid my reservation at Hyatt IW, so I was looking at lost dosh when I learned that we'd miss our first night there (due to weather issues in PHI). Called the diamond line and inquired about getting that money credited at least toward a stay tonight at a PHI Hyatt; the Diamond reps' initial response was a stern no, that there was no way to recover a prepaid night's cost. After a little pleading, she agreed to check with the hotel. When she came back on the line, I was delightfully surprised to hear they'd given me resort credits to account for the cost of tonight's stay. Far better than the alternative, IMO.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
There are advanteges to both upgrades, the executive suites are really nice, on first floor close to pool with small very open patio , large bedroom and seperate sitting room and kitchen area, but if you want to use Regency Club you have to get elevator and go up to the 5th floor. PH suites have a huge balcony with lots of comfy loungers , seats etc and they are on 5th floor so close to RC.
I also think the executive suites only have 1 bed so you would need a roll away for your daughter, the PH suites some have 2 beds in bedroom and they also have a comfy fold out couch.
And then there are the villas which I love more than both the above 2 options if you can get a reasonable price for an upgrade as they have tons of private patio space and their own jacuzzi but a hike to the regency club!
Have a great stay its a wonderful resort
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:39 pm

Hi everyone,
quick question. For those who did it, what was the upgrade fee/surcharge to get into a Villa from a diamond upgrade to an executive/hospitality suite. I thought from previous posters that it was $150 but I was told the charge varied depending on "market," and they told me it was $200 for me.

Also wanted to see if any regular FTers who frequent this property could give me tips on best route to get to Carlsbad to the Park Avaiva. I was told the route going on 74/371 was over the mountains and might be windy. Hate to double back going the 10/215 route though. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
wrapping up a stay here. the hotel has been rebranded as the hyatt regency indian wells. and is in the midst of a very nice makeover. i hadnt been here for two years or so, but still love the place!

i used a diamond suite upgrade and was originally booked into an executive suite. at checkin i inquired nicely about a villa and boom, got a 1bedroom villa which has recently been renovated/ i think the fact that ive stayed here 5-6 times in the past may have helped, not sure.

all in all, another great stay!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
I recently downgraded my amex plat card.
Does anyone know if a booking with the plat card on amex FHR count towards hyatt status and will the price be the same on the hyatt web site at on FHR. (I have several experiences last year where amex FHR rate was significantly higher than the rate from the hotels web site.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:24 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had Amex FHR stays count towards status. The FHR rate varies a lot by hotel and date, sometimes it is higher than the BAR so you have to check.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Had a stay last week booked under Amex FHR, 139 rate was same as daily rate. FHR included the usual early/late checkins/outs and upgrade both of which are already covered by my Diamond status. The breakfast benefit was moot as the club was closed so I would have received breakfast anyway. But FHR also included a $100 resort credit which more than made up for the slight difference vs. the 125 AAA rate.

Was traveling with wife and kids and at check-in we were informed we had been upgraded to a 5th floor Penthouse Suite which was freshly remodeled. The room was indeed very nice and the bathroom was quite large with both soaking tub and large glass shower, and a huge counter with dual sinks. A second half bath was off entry way and wet bar. The balcony was also impressively sized and featured an oversized double-lounge chair and three other chairs, all new and very comfortable. The view of the mountains in the distance was also quite nice and a cool breeze blew in later in the evening that made it very pleasant for sitting outside.

As our stay was somewhat brief, we ended up just using the resort credit at the Citrus Marketplace and Caf for a bunch of late night snacks, a bottle of wine, and a few other miscellaneous items in the morning. At check-out I had a few problems as some of the purchases had been removed from my bill but others weren't. The agent stated that Citrus Marketplace wasn't included in options for redeeming the FHR credit. I mentioned that I had asked three times about which outlets the credit was valid at so that there would not be any misunderstandings, and told three times Citrus was included. They quickly removed all charges and apologized for the error.

Ironically, we had a friend traveling with us who is also a Diamond and who "only" booked under the AAA rate. Without any asking he was given one of the 1-BR Villas, complete with small private pool and butler service. A special amenity of some fruit and 2 large bottles of Evian water were sent to his villa and his mini-fridge was stocked with some complimentary sodas/waters. Just a word of advice: you may want to reconsider FHR if thinking room upgrades can be stacked and instead book under the magic AAA code. We all kind of chuckled at how the upgrade gods work, and I later teased the agent who had checked me in about my buddy getting a villa on a discounted rate and me only getting a PH on FHR. She quickly asked if I wanted a villa, to which I sincerely responded no. In some ways I like the PH better than the villa as the views were much better (at least compared to his villa) from higher up as were the breezes. Also, the tv in the living room was much bigger in the PH (the tv in the villa seems kinda lost on the wall and far from seating), and the second half-bath is a nice luxury with kids. The balcony was also furnished with nicer chairs/lounges. The villa's small, private pool is kinda cool, but it's almost more of a novelty unless you are using it as a hot tub which in August we would not. The butler service and small amenities were a nice touch for sure. All told I'd be quite happy with either one but probably slightly prefer the PH, especially if the club is open.

*GP stay/night credit posted two days later and included appropriate DN and 1W bonuses.

Last edited by Windward Side of Life; Aug 7, 2013 at 4:43 pm Reason: additional info
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We got villa as dia on fhr as well last week.
I wonder if this is new GM at work - in my dozen is so stays there in the past we never had villa.
That being said once club reopens suite may be a more practical option and suites have a second bathroom too. There are pros and cons there...
A great place overall.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
We got villa as dia on fhr as well last week.
I wonder if this is new GM at work - in my dozen is so stays there in the past we never had villa.
That being said once club reopens suite may be a more practical option and suites have a second bathroom too. There are pros and cons there...
A great place overall.
Doug Sears, most recently from Grand Hyatt Kauai is the new GM as you may know. I was told he is not yet at the property (?) but will be by this week. I had wondered the same thing as GHK has had a remarkable track record for Dia recognition.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Doug Sears, most recently from Grand Hyatt Kauai is the new GM as you may know. I was told he is not yet at the property (?) but will be by this week. I had wondered the same thing as GHK has had a remarkable track record for Dia recognition.
Yep - apparently he was already there last weekend already according to a couple staff i spoke with... Anyways this can only mean good things.

BTW i was very pleased with food quality at poolside cafe - everything was very fresh, delicious and reasonably priced (lantana on the other hand was just ok)

Once excessive crowds with waaay too many kids subside i'll definitely make a few trips there...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Are they giving anything else besides the 2500 pt bonus & breakfast for the club being closed currently??
Waived resort fees perhaps??
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by musikdude
Are they giving anything else besides the 2500 pt bonus & breakfast for the club being closed currently??
Waived resort fees perhaps??
Ha, wouldn't that be nice. But they did reduce the resort fee by a nominal amount for Diamonds - I think it was a $5 reduction - that is of course presented as being some sort of magnificently gracious manifestation of their heartfelt gratitude for your profound loyalty as a Diamond.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.