Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Sounds like the HR is just as good as GH and just depends on certain slight preferences?
Thinking of doing a quasi-mattress run here and mainly viewing it as a staycation for my family of 4. HR is cheaper by 4.5k points for the week. I'm assuming it's the better choice?

Edit: Well, digging deeper, the standard suite at GH is 98 sq meter vs HR is 54 sq meter. For a staycation that is worth the 4.5k points unless the experience is so much better at the HR.
I always liked the HR more. We just found the GH a bit too large.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Honestly, we really enjoyed the Grand Hyatt when we stayed there back in 2019. We didn't stay at the Regency so I can't compare but we've been to a few decent places around the world and for the price we paid (or points would have used), it really can't get a lot better. If you don't have any specifics that would push you to choose the Regency over the GH, I don't think you can go wrong here. I always use this GH as one end of my gauge for how many Hyatt points I have in my account as in, "This gets me x number of nights of Grand Hyatt Bali (or y nights at Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme on the other end of the spectrum)." I start getting nervous when I can cover less than a month at GH Bali, so it's always a sort of reference point for me.

Last edited by wb2020; Feb 4, 2023 at 7:58 am
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
GH is in a "sterile" tourist designed area of Bali down at the Southern tip of the island. If you are just looking to stay put mostly and not venture out to experience much of Bali you will be fine there. Accessibility is okay (no problem getting Grab or Bluebird), but not great and going to places like Denpasar, Seminyak and beyond like Ubud will be a bit more of a haul and you'll face more traffic jams. Also restaurants and all there are some in Nusa Dua but not a huge selection (outside of other resorts).

HR is in Sanur, a well established and a more connected area that is still geared towards tourism, but not so crazy like Kuta or such and not so isolated and cordoned off like Nusa Dua. Lots of restaurants and lively local life and culture.

Beach not awesome in either area in my book, but probably Nusa Dua a bit more cleaned up around places like GH. Neither one is bad, GH as a resort is bigger. HR got nice grounds and Andaz is next door as well. Just comes down to personal preferences.
jongesander likes this.

Last edited by demue; Feb 8, 2023 at 11:41 pm
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:35 pm

Just had a 3 night stay at the grand Hyatt bali.

Upon arrival, was taken to the WoH check in lounge and welcome drink and snack was presented.

Offered a room in the South Wing but asked to be moved to the East wing where the Grand club was and turned out to be a nice suite facing the back side.

Room was large with sitting area and dining room with half bath. Room had a large king bed and bed canopy. Bathroom is hug with walk in with soaking tub and separate shower. Room is dated but everything worked as needed. Beds are relatively comfortable and air condition is strong.

grand club is nice and outdoors but smaller than the one at the regency. The food offering here is fairly limited for both breakfast and especially happy hour.

Although the globalist welcome letter did not mention this, breakfast was also offered to us in Garden Cafe or Nampu. Garden cafe breakfast was a good selection of western and Indonesian food. Nampu (inside the Japanese restaurant) was decent but not as much selection as Garden Cafe.

Garden cafe for lunch and dinner had the same menu. Decent sandwiches and salads.

Room service appeared to be from Garden Cafe so mostly the same stuff.

pool service was good and fast. There are multiple pools and one with a nice slide for the kids. The grand club pool is nice but small.

the stores at bali collection had some restaurants and shops but half are empty.

service is nice overall but currently staying at the regency and I prefer the regency over the GH so far.

Welcome letter with offerings for those that are interested.

Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by myperks
Just had a 3 night stay at the grand Hyatt bali.

Upon arrival, was taken to the WoH check in lounge and welcome drink and snack was presented.

Offered a room in the South Wing but asked to be moved to the East wing where the Grand club was and turned out to be a nice suite facing the back side.

Room was large with sitting area and dining room with half bath. Room had a large king bed and bed canopy. Bathroom is hug with walk in with soaking tub and separate shower. Room is dated but everything worked as needed. Beds are relatively comfortable and air condition is strong.

grand club is nice and outdoors but smaller than the one at the regency. The food offering here is fairly limited for both breakfast and especially happy hour.

Although the globalist welcome letter did not mention this, breakfast was also offered to us in Garden Cafe or Nampu. Garden cafe breakfast was a good selection of western and Indonesian food. Nampu (inside the Japanese restaurant) was decent but not as much selection as Garden Cafe.

Garden cafe for lunch and dinner had the same menu. Decent sandwiches and salads.

Room service appeared to be from Garden Cafe so mostly the same stuff.

pool service was good and fast. There are multiple pools and one with a nice slide for the kids. The grand club pool is nice but small.

the stores at bali collection had some restaurants and shops but half are empty.

service is nice overall but currently staying at the regency and I prefer the regency over the GH so far.

Welcome letter with offerings for those that are interested.

Why do you refer HR over GH? Rooms better? Club? Or location? Will go to Bali and thinking which ones is better. I've walked by GH once and the beach area looked nixe
Old Feb 11, 2023, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Why do you refer HR over GH? Rooms better? Club? Or location? Will go to Bali and thinking which ones is better. I've walked by GH once and the beach area looked nixe
was going to write a review on HR after I checkout but I say the regency has a better club, better club food, overall layout, location in Sanur where you can just walk out of the entrance to local shops, restaurants, and massage places. The regency although has less pools, the main pool is lappable and so is the private spa pool near the fitness center. Plus the regency was renovated in 2019 and “newer” but suites here are smaller than the GH. Service is great at both.

I do have to say the beach at GH is better so if that’s your thing, go for the GH.
SHLTP likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I always liked the HR more. We just found the GH a bit too large.
Originally Posted by wb2020
Honestly, we really enjoyed the Grand Hyatt when we stayed there back in 2019.
was going to write a review on HR after I checkout but I say the regency has a better club, better club food, overall layout, location in Sanur where you can just walk out of the entrance to local shops, restaurants, and massage places. The regency although has less pools, the main pool is lappable and so is the private spa pool near the fitness center. Plus the regency was renovated in 2019 and “newer” but suites here are smaller than the GH. Service is great at both.

I do have to say the beach at GH is better so if that’s your thing, go for the GH.
Thanks to all for the continued input between the GH and HR. My life button still doesn't work. Oof, this is a tough one to decide. The two biggest factors are probably the lounge food and the comfort of the suites. GH suites being much larger is a seemingly huge plus, but if the HR suites are comfortable enough then it could be alright. If the GH weren't so isolated then the lounge food would be less of a concern, but because of its location I would hope the food options were adequate for a meal on most nights.

myperks are you at a suite in the HR also? How does it compare? Is the lounge food at GH subpar or is it just not as good as the HR? Fwiw we would be a family of 4 (two little kids) staying for one week, just relaxing at the resort and getting over our jetlag.

Last edited by projectmaximus; Feb 12, 2023 at 10:57 am
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Sounds like the HR is just as good as GH and just depends on certain slight preferences?
I am going to Bali tomorrow and likely booking the Grand Hyatt for tomorrow any hour now, lol. I have a stay at the Hyatt Regency at the end of next week. So in theory, I could do both and compare both for you in a very recent, real world experience. Doing the suite upgrade probably at both. If you have specific questions or unique niche things you'd like me to look out for, holler.

P.S. Decent chance I also do the Hyatt Ubud as well, in between these two stays, if you're curious.

EDIT: Booked the Grand for 5 nights, then Alila Ubud for 3, then Regency for 3. In a "standard suite" for the second two. I am risking today's checkin to get a suite since it's literally, today, same day, and suites are showing...

Last edited by Carolina2Cali; Feb 12, 2023 at 7:44 am Reason: Adding more moments after original post and then more again
Old Feb 12, 2023, 6:01 am

Thanks to all for the continued input between the GH and HR. Oof, this is a tough one to decide. The two biggest factors are probably the lounge food and the comfort of the suites. GH suites being much larger is a seemingly huge plus, but if the HR suites are comfortable enough then it could be alright. If the GH weren't so isolated then the lounge food would be less of a concern, but because of its location I would hope the food options were adequate for a meal on most nights.

myperks are you at a suite in the HR also? How does it compare? Is the lounge food at GH subpar or is it just not as good as the HR? Fwiw we would be a family of 4 (two little kids) staying for one week, just relaxing at the resort and getting over our jetlag.
got a suite on the 4th floor in the second building. The suites here are not all the same size because the building is a semi-pyramid. Top floor 4th is the smallest with just a living room. 3rd floor has a “small” sitting area off the living room. 2nd floor has a “larger” sitting area off the living room. 1st floor has the largest sitting area off of the living room.

The standard suite at GH is probably 50% bigger than HR if not more, depending on which floor you get at the HR. The sofa bed at the HR is larger and more comfortable than the GH.

as for the lounge, i prefer HR over GH as GH is good for snacks and drinks (light dinner) but HR is enough for a better dinner with kids. HR has a daily noodle bar in the evening while the GH doesn’t. The bread (I’m a big baguette fan) is delicious and made European style and recipe.

for a week stay i would probably split 3 nights at GH and 4 nights at HR… 7 days at either resort to me seems too long. I’m doing 3 and 3 right now.

If you like a more western shopping and restaurant experience, go with the GH since the bali collection is walking distance (and nothing else). If you like a more local shopping and restaurant experience, go with the HR.

Last edited by myperks; Feb 12, 2023 at 6:46 am
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
got a suite on the 4th floor in the second building. The suites here are not all the same size because the building is a semi-pyramid. Top floor 4th is the smallest with just a living room. 3rd floor has a “small” sitting area off the living room. 2nd floor has a “larger” sitting area off the living room. 1st floor has the largest sitting area off of the living room.

The standard suite at GH is probably 50% bigger than HR if not more, depending on which floor you get at the HR. The sofa bed at the HR is larger and more comfortable than the GH.

as for the lounge, i prefer HR over GH as GH is good for snacks and drinks (light dinner) but HR is enough for a better dinner with kids. HR has a daily noodle bar in the evening while the GH doesn’t. The bread (I’m a big baguette fan) is delicious and made European style and recipe.

for a week stay i would probably split 3 nights at GH and 4 nights at HR… 7 days at either resort to me seems too long. I’m doing 3 and 3 right now.

If you like a more western shopping and restaurant experience, go with the GH since the bali collection is walking distance (and nothing else). If you like a more local shopping and restaurant experience, go with the HR.
Are you there now? Which? Say hello if you see a skinny 35 year old that looks 25ish chowing solo at the lounge with a glass of white wine... it'll be me at the Grand for the next 5 days and then Alila and then Regency, though I suspect you'll be gone from Bali by then
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Are you there now? Which? Say hello if you see a skinny 35 year old that looks 25ish chowing solo at the lounge with a glass of white wine... it'll be me at the Grand for the next 5 days and then Alila and then Regency, though I suspect you'll be gone from Bali by then
checking out of HR this morning to go to Ubud. Enjoy your Hyatt hopping… we did the same thing (plus some marriotts).
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:05 pm

So far this property has been fantastic, minus not getting upgraded to a suite when one seems to be available. More here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35009593-post1012.html

The check in is phenomenal, the property stunning, the room a hair worn out but I cannot complain minus this one issue above. I've yet to explore even half of it, a more full write up and comparison to the Ubud and the Regency coming in the next few weeks after I leave Bali

And oh, I cannot get the Wifi to stay connected on my iPhone, but that's becoming a common Hyatt problem. Anyways, so far it's still an 8.5 out of 10 here, would be a 9.75 if I didn't feel a hair slighted about.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Thanks for taking one for the team.
We’ll be at the HR in October.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
So far this property has been fantastic, minus not getting upgraded to a suite when one seems to be available. More here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35009593-post1012.html

The check in is phenomenal, the property stunning, the room a hair worn out but I cannot complain minus this one issue above. I've yet to explore even half of it, a more full write up and comparison to the Ubud and the Regency coming in the next few weeks after I leave Bali

And oh, I cannot get the Wifi to stay connected on my iPhone, but that's becoming a common Hyatt problem. Anyways, so far it's still an 8.5 out of 10 here, would be a 9.75 if I didn't feel a hair slighted about.
wifi at GH requires login every 24 hours… Wi-Fi at HR does not (another plus one for HR)
Old Feb 13, 2023, 9:19 pm

wifi at GH requires login every 24 hours… Wi-Fi at HR does not (another plus one for HR)
I'll take every 24 hours but having to open my iPhone and press the Wifi icon on and off every 10 minutes is much worse lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.