Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Just a heads up if you're visiting in July and were expecting the club to be open...it won't be.

Apparently word came down to employees Monday that they weren't opening it due to "financial considerations." Up until a then, they were telling all it would be open. For all intents and purposes the property doesn't have a club anymore (I don't think it's been open since last July).
We got an email yesterday too about the club closure. Our stay is in a couple of weeks. Very disappointing because we really liked the club. We were at the resort last July -- which based on what you said was the last time it was opened!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
We are booked over Labor Day and when I called to ask about if we should use a club upgrade (Explorerist this year, wife is pushing for globalist for next year) they mentioned the club wouldn't be open. Those upgrades are absolutely USELESS. What on earth is the deal?!? I'm a Hilton guy, and it seems their clubs are FAR more plentiful and reliable.

Originally Posted by kishna
We got an email yesterday too about the club closure. Our stay is in a couple of weeks. Very disappointing because we really liked the club. We were at the resort last July -- which based on what you said was the last time it was opened!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by kishna
We were there last weekend, and as much as I like having a club for drinks/snacks, comping breakfast for two adults and two kids isn't a bad deal (especially with $20+ buffets and $15 french toast). I'd rather have the full breakfast offerings in the restaurant than the limited lounge offerings.

I miss the evening spread, but my picky-eating kids wouldn't eat anything off it anyway, so that was really just for me more than them.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Just a heads up if you're visiting in July and were expecting the club to be open...it won't be.

Apparently word came down to employees Monday that they weren't opening it due to "financial considerations." Up until a then, they were telling all it would be open. For all intents and purposes the property doesn't have a club anymore (I don't think it's been open since last July).
Stayed here end of July until early August and can confirm. Club is closed. Also got the respective e-mail.
I asked the FDA why the club always seems closed for the season (same happend about 5 years ago in April), and she mentioned, management is considering what to do with the Club. I could well be that additional rooms may be made and the Club permanently closed. It didn't make money for them.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Stayed here end of July until early August and can confirm. Club is closed. Also got the respective e-mail.
I asked the FDA why the club always seems closed for the season (same happend about 5 years ago in April), and she mentioned, management is considering what to do with the Club. I could well be that additional rooms may be made and the Club permanently closed. It didn't make money for them.
how was the quality of breakfast in the restaurant during your recent stay? did they outline what the specific allowance was? we're going in about a month.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:58 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by jrizzl
how was the quality of breakfast in the restaurant during your recent stay? did they outline what the specific allowance was? we're going in about a month.
no - they did not outline what we could take, I presume anything from ŕ la carte to buffet, as we took the buffet plus ordered ŕ la carte cappuccino (which was delivered from starbucks (priced 5$ I believe)). All charges were removed.

we took the buffet all days, as the selection was huge, really an excellent buffet, if I recall correctly, it's valued at 21$:
  • fresh fruits and berries
  • juices
  • yogurt and birchermüesli
  • salmon
  • various cheeses
  • scrambled eggs
  • sausages/bacon
  • tortillas, re-fried beans
  • croissants, muffins, pastries, bagels, toasts
  • cereals
  • omelettes made to order with all ingredients you can think of
  • pancakes and waffles
really a fantastic buffet!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
(Disclaimer: This is a grumpy post... you've been warned)
But useless if you want to use a Club Upgrade that you have sitting in your account that will be useless in less than a month after that stay because she'll have made Globalist. GRR! On a serious note, though, I'm a Hilton guy (that's where my status is) and they REALLY do seem to be SO much better about ensuring uniformity of the elite experience across all properties than Hyatt. Like this random hotel wants to just close their club up and kill off a major benefit to an entire tier of elite customers (explorerists). Oh well, it's their choice! Seriously??!?! That's ok with corporate?!?!?

If she wasn't already at 46 nights this year, she would totally switch to SPG...

Originally Posted by 59Impala
no - they did not outline what we could take, I presume anything from ŕ la carte to buffet, as we took the buffet plus ordered ŕ la carte cappuccino (which was delivered from starbucks (priced 5$ I believe)). All charges were removed.

we took the buffet all days, as the selection was huge, really an excellent buffet, if I recall correctly, it's valued at 21$:
  • fresh fruits and berries
  • juices
  • yogurt and birchermüesli
  • salmon
  • various cheeses
  • scrambled eggs
  • sausages/bacon
  • tortillas, re-fried beans
  • croissants, muffins, pastries, bagels, toasts
  • cereals
  • omelettes made to order with all ingredients you can think of
  • pancakes and waffles
really a fantastic buffet!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by jrizzl
The breakfast is good. It's much more than serviceable (and more generous than anything you'd get in a club breakfast), but it's not winning any awards either.

They don't watch the amount all that closely. I had three rooms there last month, all using my globalist benefits. We had 10+ breakfasts everyday all on one ticket and they just took it off without question (had to remind them to do so at checkout but they removed happily without issue).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Club "hasn't opened this year"

Points due to club closure "never heard of that"

Had read that this resort was somewhat comparable to Lost Pines...no. Unless large layout, a lazy river, and a s'more stick makes it the same.

I wanted to find another Lost Pines style getaway for the family but struggle to find much of anything worth recommending at present.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
I wanted to find another Lost Pines style getaway for the family but struggle to find much of anything worth recommending at present.
Obviously different strokes for different folks. We (wife and three kids ages 5, 5, 3) did both LP and HC this summer, and I actually think they are pretty similar.

Both clubs are closed but both comp the full breakfasts, and with the five of us, I'd rather do the restaurant breakfast than the club breakfast.

The kids like the pool at LP more than the pool at HC, but they like the HC water slide better than the LP water slide (HC slide is much much larger). And although my kids are young, they did like the wave machine at HC.

I think the bigger difference is that LP has better customer service and will go out of their way to provide crazy good service, and suite upgrades are more readily available at LP.

I think I slightly like LP better but my wife slightly like HC better.

Last edited by HoustonConsultant; Jan 7, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:45 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Club "hasn't opened this year"

Points due to club closure "never heard of that"
Alas, the Club Closed bonus went away, worldwide, in February with the introduction of the new World of Hyatt program.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Thank you for your comments. After these polite rebukes, I have tried to again objectively evaluate this resort.

Maybe it's off season, and maybe everyone I have encountered is having a bad day, but I can't see how anyone but the most committed San Antonian could put this resort in the same league as Lost Pines.

It's fine, and an interesting change from a normal HR. Best I can offer.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Recent stays? bring kiddos?

Have a meeting in February and considering taking the kids for long weekend as the pool/water features looked cool but weighing whether that's really enough to justify two out of pocket flights and extra room night. Curious to hear opinions on if this is a good destination spot. thanks
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:47 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dealOCD
Have a meeting in February and considering taking the kids for long weekend as the pool/water features looked cool but weighing whether that's really enough to justify two out of pocket flights and extra room night. Curious to hear opinions on if this is a good destination spot. thanks
I suggest you confirm the pool/lazy river/water features will be heated. Otherwise, it will be too cold to swim ... and that assumes the weather will be cooperative.
dealOCD likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
good points. I am not familiar with the weather patterns there. Will research thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.