Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 2, 10, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Had a decent stay here a few months back, and got an upgrade to a suite on check-in. Thought I would share a few photos of the room:

Living Room

Dining Table

Bedroom

Bathroom

Only had a one-night stay, but was able to find plenty of toobs for the lazy river (it was a weekend after Labor Day, so not too crowded). Also, our massages at the Spa were excellent.

The property is comparable in decor and layout to the Hyatt Lost Pines. However, I think I would give the Lost Pines property a slight edge (more acreage, more secluded, and the Colorado River makes for nice scenery out there).
Old May 4, 11, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Any update on this property? I'm planning on a stay in June. Any promos or discount going on?
Old May 14, 11, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by devastor View Post
Any update on this property? I'm planning on a stay in June. Any promos or discount going on?
anyone?
Old May 24, 11, 1:42 pm

Book this offer by May 24th

Not much time left to book this deal:

Experience the ultimate escape this fall to the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa! Indulge in relaxation in the award-winning spa, play a round of championship golf or enjoy our lazy river pool. Book by May 24th and join us on weekdays between May 18th and September 30th and receive an amazing rate of $179. Would you like more room to relax? Upgrade to a Hill Country Suite for $100 more!
Terms & Conditions

Offer valid 5/18/11 to 9/30/11 at Hyatt Regency Hill Country. All hotel reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance by 5/24/11. Full prepayment and tax required at time of booking. Rate is non refundable if canceled. Offer is not valid with groups/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers. Rate is per room, per night, excluding service charges, taxes and other incidental expenses. Rate does not include $22 resort service fee. Rate is based on double occupancy and standard room accommodations. Additional guests may be subject to additional hotel charges. Additional charges apply to room type upgrades. A limited number of rooms are allocated to this promotion. Blackout dates include 5/28/11, 5/29/11, 6/9/11, 6/10/11, 6/11/11, 7/2/11, 7/3/11, 7/4/11, 9/2/11, 9/3/11 and 9/4/11. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events, and normal arrival/departure restrictions apply. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice.
Old May 26, 11, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective View Post
Not much time left to book this deal:

Experience the ultimate escape this fall to the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa! Indulge in relaxation in the award-winning spa, play a round of championship golf or enjoy our lazy river pool. Book by May 24th and join us on weekdays between May 18th and September 30th and receive an amazing rate of $179. Would you like more room to relax? Upgrade to a Hill Country Suite for $100 more!
Terms & Conditions

Offer valid 5/18/11 to 9/30/11 at Hyatt Regency Hill Country. All hotel reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance by 5/24/11. Full prepayment and tax required at time of booking. Rate is non refundable if canceled. Offer is not valid with groups/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers. Rate is per room, per night, excluding service charges, taxes and other incidental expenses. Rate does not include $22 resort service fee. Rate is based on double occupancy and standard room accommodations. Additional guests may be subject to additional hotel charges. Additional charges apply to room type upgrades. A limited number of rooms are allocated to this promotion. Blackout dates include 5/28/11, 5/29/11, 6/9/11, 6/10/11, 6/11/11, 7/2/11, 7/3/11, 7/4/11, 9/2/11, 9/3/11 and 9/4/11. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events, and normal arrival/departure restrictions apply. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice.
Ugh, the dates I were staying 06-09 to 06-11 are blackout dates. I was able to book the TravelZoo special, code TVL569, for $229 ($50 more since it was the weekend).

Thanks though!
Old Jun 26, 11, 7:16 pm

Email contact

Would anybody happen to have an email contact address specifically for this hotel?

Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 11, 3:02 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Finished 1 night sat stay. Quite good hotel in spite of some worn in many places. Huge pool (almost water park), and got a decent upgrade to country suite without suite upgrade certificate as a diamond. Due to regency club closing during weekend, I was offered full breakfast in restaurant. I had two a la carte menus, ~35$.. was not charged to my bill. Full resort fee 22$+tax was charged to me, and no discount to diamond member. (I didn't ask it). FYI, Hyatt Lost Pines discounted $5 for resort fee to diamond member.
Old Sep 26, 11, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller View Post
Full resort fee 22$+tax was charged to me, and no discount to diamond member. (I didn't ask it). FYI, Hyatt Lost Pines discounted $5 for resort fee to diamond member.
I wonder if this is the new normal. I didn't pay it at all on an award stay. I see your report on the Lost Pines, too, so that's why I'm pondering, as I've just noted over in that thread, too...
Old Sep 26, 11, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I wonder if this is the new normal. I didn't pay it at all on an award stay. I see your report on the Lost Pines, too, so that's why I'm pondering, as I've just noted over in that thread, too...
Award stays are not normally charged a resort fee. As a Diamond, I have not previously been charged a resort fee at this property and they have routinely upgraded me to a HC suite without using a suite upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 11, 4:04 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
I agree I was also not charged resort fee on my award stays. But, this time was not award stay. That's the reason I paid resort fee..
Old Feb 28, 12, 12:03 am

Stayed here again. Quite lovely place still. Comparing Lost Pines, I prefer Lost Pines, but Hill Country is definitely wish-list.

BTW, they now started to discount $5 of resort fee for diamond members. Kind of compensation of free internet.. not sure for platinum members..
Old Feb 28, 12, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Gold,Starwood Preferred, United, AA
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller View Post
Stayed here again. Quite lovely place still. Comparing Lost Pines, I prefer Lost Pines, but Hill Country is definitely wish-list.

BTW, they now started to discount $5 of resort fee for diamond members. Kind of compensation of free internet.. not sure for platinum members..
Is the club open? I read somewhere that they close the club in the winter months. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Feb 29, 12, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, any other status I can get via credit card
Originally Posted by diamond_46 View Post
Is the club open? I read somewhere that they close the club in the winter months. Thanks in advance for any info.
I am staying here this week for a work event and the club is closed. I am not sure if it is all winter or if it is due to the event.
Old Feb 29, 12, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by diamond_46 View Post
The club is closed for the winter, and reopens mid/late March, specifically during Spring Break week. As a Diamond you will get breakfast in the restaurant - which is far better than the lounge.
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:20 pm

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Review 8/12

I will preface this with saying that I am probably a bit biased as we are repeat visitors to this property with well over 50 nights. It holds a lot of great memories of our kids as they grow up. Over the years we have seen the good, the bad, the ugly and the great.

The Property

I do think they are coming due for a major renovation and the property has lost a bit of its "newness".

Hopefully they will upgrade the lazy river to the new generation of quieter pumps.

I noticed they completed the wood work repairs on the exterior.

Their parking and access is much more easier to navigate than Lost Pines with parking only a few steps away from the entrance (no shuttle cart needed). If you do self park, take the lot on the right side when entering the property.

As noted earlier you don't have the river or large expanses of native area to explore like Lost Pines.

There is plenty of resturants and shopping near the property (unlike the early days).

Just across the highway from Sea World.

Take the 1604 Loop not Loop 410 to get to the property if you can. Less traffic.

Activities

They still host an assortment of activities for children including crafts, games, movies on the lawn, pony rides, wagon rides, easter egg hunts, smores, etc..

If it rains, they are very good about bringing activities inside instead of just canceling. I remember one rain filled trip where they had the kids do a pie eating contest and a gummy bear eating contest in one of the ballrooms.

I love the lazy river. It is more shaded than Lost Pines and no slide pool to interfer with your tube nap.

They have a kiddie pool, an adult's only pool, a play sand beach and a family play pool as well as the aforementioned lazy river.

They have a shuttle that will take you to their Timeshare Vacation property where you can have access to their pool, slide, etc... We have never taken it but it can be a nice break from the property.

We have spent several July 4s there and loved sitting on the golf course to watch the private fireworks.

Reservations - Rooms

I always seem to have issues with reservations if I make any type of changes. For some reason they seem to always pulled up the canceled reservations but not the new ones.

I think this is just part of the charm of Hyatt's I.T.

They often have specials on Twitter/Facebook or Email.

Beaware of the rooms are ready emails. I get them at 11am but my room is often not ready until much later.

Preferred grounds are rooms they have on the lower level that open up to the garden areas. You pay a premium but you are closer to the action and you have much more room to spread out versus a balcony. Just avoid rooms adjacent to the building entrances as you will hear all the foot traffic and get whiffs of the smokers (sorry I don't have room numbers).

Staff

Always friendly and nice, they treat Diamonds well. On our most recent stay they gave us a suite and added a double for our friends so they ended up with a two bedroom suite instead of the traditional one bedroom.

Atmosphere

This is a family resort, if you are traveling solo or without kids, this may not be the most relaxing hotel. I am a kid at heart so even when surrounded by kids, I am OK but not all folks find that relaxing.

I have never spent any time in the adult pool, however the few times I peaked over there I never saw any kids.

The Spa

I don't "spa" but my wife loved it and I hear good things from those who visit it. Not sure if it is the spa or getting away from the kids however they like it.

Golf Course

I don't golf but my friends who do love the course. So my opinion is totally useless but I wanted to at least acknowledge that there was a really good golf course.

Food

Standard hotel resort food. Nothing special but not terrible. Decent value and the serve staff is very accommodating for young ones.

Charley's long bar is a great evening hang out at the ground level and they have a formal resturant as well.

The most popular eatery for families appears to be the Springhouse (buffet/casual dining) Resturant and Uncle Eds (pool side service).

Regency Club

I seldom see it crowded or full. Many times during our last visit we had it to ourselves. Food is OK and they keep snacks and drinks out all day so you can get refueled while taking a break from the river/pool.

It is at the 4900 wing of the hotel.

It does need some updating but it is more than sufficient. I always find a WSJ to read and a quiet corner to read it in.

In Closing

Overall the loads are definitely down from past years. Many of our trips have been there when the lobby was always packed, the river was wall to wall people and you would have to get into a fight to the death to secure chairs at the pool. However, any time you can do a Sunday check in versus a Thurs/Friday you will be well served (excluding holidays) with most likely a crowd free stay.

Not a national destination resort (IMHO) but a great regional family get away with friendly staff and a relaxing enviroment. We will continue to go back.

I hope this helps anyone considering a visit.

Last edited by Milesbuilder; Aug 5, 12 at 9:45 am Reason: Grammer and added some more data points

Search this Thread
Search Engine: