Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 16, 06, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Sounds like a winner of a hotel.

I'm in SAT for a week this January. Is it worth doing a day trip and a bit of hyatt hopping to visit Hill country?

lala
Old Oct 17, 06, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by lalala
Sounds like a winner of a hotel.

I'm in SAT for a week this January. Is it worth doing a day trip and a bit of hyatt hopping to visit Hill country?

lala
If you have extra time, Hyatt Lost Pines is even nicer to check out. Hyatt Hill Country is a bit worn (but still not bad) comparably. It's probably 1 hour away.
Old Aug 6, 08, 1:15 pm

Any updates on this property?

M8
Old Aug 6, 08, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8 View Post
Any updates on this property?

M8
I stayed there twice this year. Excellent service every time, it seems that the furnishings are new and as a diamond I got upgraded to a suite both times. I have another reservation for October when it cools off a little bit.
Old Aug 6, 08, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
We have stayed at this location as an extended family three times in the past 13 months.

Positives:

1. Lazy river - this is a great lazy river, with good flow, mostly in the shade, plenty of tubes, and good features (sandy beach, grotto, waterfall, etc.). We go there because the kids in the family love it, and so do the parents and the grandparent. OK, we all love the lazy river. I read an entire novel sitting in the innertube drifting along over two days.
2. Family activities - they do a nice job with features ranging from pony rides ($25) to evening movies on the lawn (free)
3. Restaurant service - we have had pleasant, attentive young servers in the restaurant downstairs, and we have tipped accordingly
4. Grounds - very much a Texas ranch turned into a hotel, and a decent golf course.
Negatives:

1. Standard Hyatt GP Processing - ie. crappy. Bonuses and features made at the booking (G2, Diamond amenity, breakfast coupons, connecting rooms, etc.) not known about by the hotel when we arrived to check in.
2. Location - It is in Texas. No, seriously, as mentioned before, it is on the far northwest outskirts of town. You must drive to go anywhere outside the hotel.
3. RC staff - not very attentive at all.

The Blahs:

1. Rooms are pretty unremarkable.
2. The standard US Hyatt menu is getting pretty boring.
Old Feb 27, 09, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
After staying at the Lost Pines close to Austin, we continued to the Hill Country resort close to San Antonio and two stone throws away from Sea World. Pulled up to the entrance only to be expected by nobody, had to wait some minutes before valet and bell staff appeared, who were obviously taking a break ( together )

Check in was swift and we were given a Hill Country Suite ( as booked ) and RC access, however the RC is closed until Thursday evening these days and opens only for weekends. Lost Pines looks like a 21st century version of Hill CountryÖ and the latter one is in desperate need of a major major renovation, one that should be taken care of in the next couple of months. At least, the interior of the Hill Country Suites ( we changed from one to another ) is simply too old and not up to the standards of a world-class resort. No desk in the suites at all. TVís are old 20 inch tube models, selection of channels is limited ( if one charges these resort fees that include luxurious items like 1-800 calls and self parking, maybe a hotel could afford some extra TV channels. I mean the Travel Channel, Tennis Channel and some news/business channels are not too exotic! )

Everything else looks older than at Lost Pines and is certainly not as spectacular as it used to be when it was opened in the early 1990ís, grounds are not well kept at all.

Usage of the spa is free and it offers a sauna and steam room as well as a hot tub in separate areas for men and woman and a mixed pool area outside. Massages etc. priced close to a nightly rate for a room ( $ 150 and up )

RC is quite big and offered some cold cuts and veggies as well as some hot items in the evening, it also has a balcony with half a dozen chairs, just in case you want to retreat from the 65 in the lounge and the noise from an old air-conditioning making sure that those 65 are kept. Service was okay, but nothing to write home about.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was good, service outstanding and the Mexican dishes they offer for breakfast worth recommending.

Older resort in desperate need of a major renovation, rooms have very low ceilings and very old and small bath rooms, will be quite challenging to make this one ready and attractive for the next 20 years.
Old Apr 4, 09, 7:58 am

I've stayed here twice now within the last 12 months for business events. I have determined the place is mediocre.
Old Jun 8, 09, 9:29 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I stayed here for one night back in April. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, but overall it's a nice property. Since I was only there for night (I have friends live 10 min away), I didn't really check out much of the grounds and it was a little too cold to go swimming.

As a Diamond, I got an upgrade to a full suite and I got access to the Club. The Club was deserted every time I went in there, and was unremarkable. One thing that is slightly annoying--the Continental breakfast in the Club ends at 9AM, which seems a tad early. I would think 10AM, especially at a resort property, would make more sense.
Old Sep 9, 09, 2:30 pm

We've stayed at this property a number of times, but last weekend was our first time as Diamonds. We were pleasantly surprised at the upgrade to a Hill Country Suite with an enormous balcony overlooking the lawn. Other than that, we were somewhat disappointed. Being a holiday weekend, we knew it would be crowded, as we've spent several Labor Day weekends there. It was the first time, however, the lazy river was so crowded we had trouble finding a vacant tube. The horse-drawn carriage rides were a nice idea, but the wait for a ride was too long. There wasn't an official line or any staff monitoring the queue. We waited through several wagon loads (about 10 people) of people, each time the wagon pulled up a huge number of kids came from nowhere and filled it up! They either need a larger (or additional) wagon, a shorter route and staff to maintain a more formal waiting line.

We were interested in the BBQ buffet offered, but had a lot of trouble finding the location. Once we did, we changed our mind because it was served in a stark white (mostly empty) tent with absolutely no atmosphere. We dined at the Springhouse restaurant instead. Even though we only had one trip to the salad bar (which was an option on the menu) the waitress charged us for full buffets @ $18 each. Getting the bill corrected and getting a pen to sign the check took forever! Our experience with breakfast the next morning was much better, though.

Our daughter really enjoyed her visit to the spa. Offering kids spa prices is really nice (and is a great marketing ploy getting kids used to such treatments at an early age!) While waiting for her, I was amazed how quiet it was there compared with the rest of the resort with all the little kids running around. They did a great job locating this place of refuge. We also appreciated the front desk allowing us a late checkout (3pm) to accommodate her spa appointment.

After enjoying Regency/Grand clubs in Hawaii, Lost Pines and even downtown San Antonio, we were very disappointed in the Hill Country's Regency Club. Mid-afternoon, it was unattended and the only snacks provided were some mixed nuts, iced tea/lemonade bottled water and soda. Unfortunately, no latte machine! At dessert time, we found the club full of kids and the only dessert we saw was a plate of store-bought cookies and a couple of thermoses of coffee. As our suite was at the other end of the property from the RC, we decided it wasn't worth the trek there in the morning to even see what they offered for breakfast. Moving this club to a more central location and beefing it up a bit would do wonders for this hotel that really does have a lot going for it.

Last edited by DealDetective; Nov 30, 09 at 10:07 pm
Old Sep 11, 09, 5:11 pm

Hill Country could use some renovation.
Old Nov 30, 09, 1:09 pm
LRD

Programs: AA LT Plat/6MM, MVP 75K, Marriott LT Titanium
From a letter given at check-in...

Stay with us again by Feb. 28 and enjoy rates as low as $119/night plus your choice of either a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite or daily [buffet] breakfast for two. Because this is an exclusive offer, reservations must be made over the phone. Please call 800-55-HYATT and request special offer code SUITE1 or BRKFS.
Old Mar 9, 10, 7:30 pm

Does anybody know if the drinks are still complimentary in the RC? There is a post from 8 years ago that mentions it but it is a very long time.
Old Mar 26, 10, 10:40 am

Programs: United 1K - AA EXP - Avis CC - Hertz Plat - Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
Does anybody know if the drinks are still complimentary in the RC? There is a post from 8 years ago that mentions it but it is a very long time.
I was there in November and if I recall correctly, I think it was an honor bar.
Old Mar 26, 10, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
Honor bar.
Old Sep 6, 10, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971 View Post
TVís are old 20 inch tube models.
Happy to report that the TVs have since been updated to nice, flat panel LCDs. We just stayed over Labor Day weekend and were told that the Regency Club would be closed after breakfast on 9/6/10 until Thanksgiving. RC was still unstaffed during the afternoon, with an assortment of dried fruits, a few fresh fruits, cookies, tea, lemonade and a paltry selection of canned sodas and bottled water in buckets of water. Coffee in thermoses was not very warm. (They really need a latte machine here!) Evening offering included Cowboy Stew. The hot item at breakfast was French toast sticks.

Being a holiday weekend, the property was very full, making lounge chairs, river tubes and bicycles scarce. Nevertheless, we had a nice stay. Room service was delivered promptly and service throughout the property was friendly and capable. The General Store now offers an expanded food to go service with pizzas, hamburgers and salads at prices better than the Springhouse restaurant across the hall.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: