Singapore transportation

Old Apr 12, 12, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Air, Delta, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood
Singapore transportation

We have a 19 hour layover in Singapore and would like to visit the Grand Hyatt Singapore. We are arriving at noon and flying out 7am the next morning. Does anyone have any suggestions for transportation?
Old Apr 12, 12, 8:54 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Exec Platinum
I have not been to Singapore in 3 years but I recall cabs being very reasonable and usually Mercedes Benz. They are prevalent at Changi. Enjoy!
Old Apr 12, 12, 9:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by DCP913 View Post
We have a 19 hour layover in Singapore and would like to visit the Grand Hyatt Singapore. We are arriving at noon and flying out 7am the next morning. Does anyone have any suggestions for transportation?
Cabs are plentiful in Singapore - between Changi and GH should be around 25 SGD (or about $20 USD) - most cabs in Singapore are Toyota Crowns (there are a few Mercedes around). If you don't have much luggage and want to save some money - you can try the MRT (train) from the airport to Orchard Station which is about 1 block away - I've never taken the MRT in from the airport though.
Old Apr 12, 12, 9:31 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Cab would be the best!

The MRT leaves Terminal 2 and you will need to swap trains twice (the Airport line will stop somewhere and you need to change to another train to continue west, and another time at to change from the green line to the red line) to get to Orchard road station.

PS: Hello from the Grand Hyatt Singapore
Old Apr 12, 12, 9:40 am

Programs: Krisflyer (SQ) Gold Membership, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Accor Platinum and Hilton HHonors Gold
Just want to conclude here:
Cab will be the friendliest but it is not cheap compare to MRT.

Cab is far more convenient than MRT though.
Old Apr 12, 12, 9:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
I'll split the difference, personally I'd take MRT to the hotel to save some money & cab in the morning back to SIN as at that time in the morning I'm willing to pay for the 'premium' of taking a cab (plus you probably have to be at SIN early if you have a 7am flight out and the MRT won't work for you).
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:06 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
I'll split the difference, personally I'd take MRT to the hotel to save some money & cab in the morning back to SIN as at that time in the morning I'm willing to pay for the 'premium' of taking a cab (plus you probably have to be at SIN early if you have a 7am flight out and the MRT won't work for you).
I did exactly this last year. But, the morning cab will be closer to SGD40 as there is a "night" service charge of 50% which ends at 6AM.
Old Apr 12, 12, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also a shared minibus service from SIN that seems to leave from every terminal for IIRC SG$10 door-to-door to your hotel. Departures are every 30 minutes in the middle of the night and more frequently during the day. There's a counter where they sell tickets after you exit customs.
Old Apr 12, 12, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a 7am departure, you need to leave the hotel no later than 5am and there is no MRT service to the airport then. So you will likely be taking a cab back -- and they do charge some sort of premium on the regular fare at that time in the morning.

I've taken the MRT to the airport and while you do have to transfer, it's not a big deal. The Orchard station is about a 3 minute walk from the hotel but not entirely sheltered if it is raining.
Old Apr 12, 12, 1:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Departures are every 30 minutes in the middle of the night.....
can I catch one of these at 1am? (or after)
Old Apr 12, 12, 2:00 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
For a 7am departure, you need to leave the hotel no later than 5am and there is no MRT service to the airport then. So you will likely be taking a cab back -- and they do charge some sort of premium on the regular fare at that time in the morning.
Yup, 50%. If you pre-book there is also a charge but I don't think you should have a problem just walking out and getting one at the GH. They have a queue that is limited to GH guests, which is good for the afternoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab...ingapore#fares
Old Apr 12, 12, 2:30 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The Singapore MRT is one of my favorite rail systems. It is cheap, immaculately clean, and easy to understand. As pointed out above, there are 2 transfers when travelling from Changi to the GH. However, the transfers are painless "walk across the platform" type transfers. The trains are frequent enough that you'll never be waiting for more than a few minutes. The entire journey is about 50 minutes.

The Orchard station is located about a block away from the GH. If you arrive from the airport, make sure you exit via the Scotts Rd. exit which puts you closest to the GH.
Old Apr 13, 12, 7:25 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by skunker View Post
I did exactly this last year. But, the morning cab will be closer to SGD40 as there is a "night" service charge of 50% which ends at 6AM.
Just did the airport run (@ 6 +), which I paid S$17 for. Taking into consideration that with a 50% surcharge it should be about S$26, I find it unlikely for you to pay $40.

Unless you pre-booked the cab ($6.5 extra / $10 during morning peak) or got the black cab.
Old Apr 13, 12, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by DHalltheway View Post
Cab would be the best!

The MRT leaves Terminal 2 and you will need to swap trains twice (the Airport line will stop somewhere and you need to change to another train to continue west, and another time at to change from the green line to the red line) to get to Orchard road station.

PS: Hello from the Grand Hyatt Singapore
If the OP does decide to go with the train option, the connections are very easy - in both cases, just walking across a platform. From Changi Airport, go to Tanah Merah (there is only one way to go from the airport, and Tanah Merah will be the last stop on this train), and walk across the platform to the left, to catch a green, east-west line train towards Joo Koon. (The doors on the airport train will open on both sides upon arrival at Tanah Merah, so exiting in the correct direction is important - go out the wrong side, and you will be on the platform for trains headed away from town, not towards it.) Then this second train should be taken to City Hall, where walking across the platform puts one on a red, north-south line train to Jurong East (oddly enough, it would be easier to get to Jurong East by staying on the green line train, but since that's not where you're going, no matter). This train will go to Orchard - should be only three stops, about 5-6 minutes once on the red train. The green part will take quite a bit longer. Note that the airport to Tanah Merah train is also marked green, it seems to be considered a spur line from the east-west line, rather than a separate line.

Same deal on the way back, except you don't even have to decide which way to get off the train at Tanah Merah - there is only one way But for a 7 AM flight, I don't think you want to take the train - I think you'll get to the airport too late. So I would taxi on the way back.

There is direct access to the MRT from either Terminal 2 or 3 at Changi. From Terminal 1, it would be necessary to take airport transportation (train almost all the time, bus in the early hours of the morning) to one of the other terminals. You can also walk from Terminal 1 to 2, through the car park.

The train is very much a public-transit style system, no upgraded airport train like in Hong Kong, but at noon, the trains shouldn't be too too crowded.

Last edited by TheAccidentalFlier; Apr 13, 12 at 7:57 pm
Old Apr 14, 12, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
No need to leave two hours before. It is entirely dependent of the airline and class of service. I would check what is the minimum check in time for the airline + 25 minutes from the hotel.

I once woke up an hour before of my flight @ GH SIN and made it. I was flying paid SQ F and was at the airport 25 minutes before scheduled departure time. Absolutely no problems checking in. Even got the invite to the Private Room, but didn't have time to check it out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: