Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt St. Louis REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (MARRIOTT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt St. Louis REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT (MARRIOTT)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The rooms in the main building are Regency Club rooms - have a nice old world charm.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 3:26 pm

St. Louis

Just spent one night at the Hyatt St. Louis and was very impressed. The building is the converted Union Station train terminal and was beautifully restored. It is very impressive. The rooms were quite nice as was the RC, with the coolest coffee machines I have ever seen. One is an automatic french press with a viewing window. (Just don't flame me for that). The staff was exceedingly pleasant and professional, and the restaurant was very good. Overall a great hotel.

Last edited by tinnub; Aug 3, 2004 at 8:18 pm
Old May 17, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Hyatt Regency St. Louis

I can't find any review of this hotel on the Hyatt review site. Can anyone who has stayed there recommend it? Is the Regency Club open on weekends and what do they offer? Any recommendations on room locations?
Old May 17, 2005, 7:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I stayed here on business a few years ago.

Non-Club rooms are newer structure within the old train station (no exterior view) while the RC is an older historic section (hotel) that has been renovated. I was in the RC section so can't comment on the other section. My room was quite large and renovated fairly well (think Park Hyatt Philadelphia). The RC, open then not sure now, is in the atrium section of the building.

The lobby and public areas are quite spectacular and is often featured in Hyatt brochures.
Old May 17, 2005, 8:02 pm

Stayed at the Hyatt St. Louis two weeks ago. Peter's commnets concerning room is on track. The RC is open on weekends and has the neatest coffee machine. The spread is typical, nothing special in am or pm, but not bad. The lobby and the hotel (old section ) is beautiful. Valet is $15/day. Tony's, a restaurant about 1/2 mile hotel is one of the best ever. The shopping mall adjoining hotel is pretty, but lots of t-shirt shops. Let me know if you need more info. Overall, nice stay and would stay again without hesitation. they also have a light rail directly from the airport to the hotel for a couple of bucks.
Old May 17, 2005, 8:22 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Yes, you can take Metrolink (light rail) from the terminal at the St. Louis airport right to the "Union Station" station...Union Station is the complex that the Hyatt is in. It's this HUGE old train station (from whence all trains heading westward left) that's been rennovated into a mall/hotel. Plenty of touristy kinds of places at the mall, but the hotel is indeed nice.
You're just a couple of Metrolink stops away from downtown, the Arch, Laclede's Landing, etc. You're also just a couple of Metrolink stops away from beatufiul Forest Park and the Central West End (lots of cool cafe's, shops, restaurants). And, you're a very short taxi ride away from "The Hill"...a neighborhood with the BEST Italian deli's and restaurants to be found outside of Italy.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
Hyatt St. Louis Union Station Info?

Have several stays at this property coming up in April. Have never stayed here before - did a FT search but could not come up with anything. Results on other sites gave mixed results.

Sounds like there is a difference between Garden rooms and those in the historic Regency Club area of the hotel. I understand that it's a "historic property". Having said that, what can I expect as far as Diamond upgrades? I usually do 1-800-checkin so is there any advice as far as what to request as far as rooms go?

I will be taking the light rail into downtown from the airport each trip and was told it stops near the hotel.

Will post a report when I return - Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Stayed there on a weekend in January. As a Diamond was placed in 412 (I think), which is in the vintage hotel on the front with a good view of the fountain (had it not been drained for the winter). Asked to be moved because of smoking odor and moved to 405 (I think) which had the same view. (I must not be remembering one of the room numbers correctly, because they were on the same side of the hall). Empty hotel but was not offered a suite, but my friend the Hyatt manager has pounded into me the T&C's say "best available room", not "suite", so I don't gripe about that one.

Check in a bit disorganized but so what; they usually are. Using two promo codes and requesting a GP bonus was too much intellectual exercise for them and me. Eventually it all got done correctly. Room was nice in throwback decor. Down the hall from RC, which was closed for the weekend but they left the refrgerator full of soft drinks open. The coffee machine ran out despite being advertised as 24/7, but since I have about three a year I didn't care. (Mrs. Jayer, however, loves coffee more than me, and did care). Were given fixed-amount "coupons" for an appetizer or drink and breakfast. Food was quite good, but beyond the middle of the menu there was a co-pay.

I'd go back again and would sure not try and talk you out of the place, but being a 100 year old structure it had a different feel to it. Rail lets you out in a small "mall" behind the hotel, which is more food court, specialty stores, and sports souveneirs. Rail costs like $3-4 inbound and less outbound. You need cash not plastic for the fare.

Last edited by jayer; Mar 4, 2006 at 6:37 pm
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
There is an immense difference between the Regency Club side (looks like a nice old city hotel) and the garden side (you have to walk across the mall to get there, and once you do it looks like a nice, well, Holiday Inn, maybe).

Definitely want the Regency Club side. I've always gotten it as platinum.

The Regency Club itself is a joke. It's one of those that are kind of the end of a hallway in an open area, rather than in an actual "club". Don't like the atmosphere at all. But it's better than nothing.

One thing that's kind of interesting about the location is the Union Station mall that is connected, so you have plenty of restaurant and shopping options right there with no car. Houlihan's is always a safe mainstream bet.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
Thanks for the info and suggestions - was surprised more people hadn't been there! Sounds like I definitely want a Regency Club room on the historic side of the hotel. Guess I won't be spending much time in the Regency Club itself, but at least they offer coupons unlike some others where you're out of luck if they're closed. The 2,000 Point GP bonus makes staying there a little more attractive as well. Not planning on renting a car so the restaurants in the mall sound like an option.

Glad to hear the light rail is that close to the hotel - will need to find out if it actually stops at the airport or a few blocks away the terminal.

Cardinals will be playing their first games in new Busch Stadium during my first trip. I'll try to see a game if time allows so I can put it on my list of MLB stadiums I've visited. The trick will be getting tickets since local media says their entire season might be close to sold out before opening day!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
mitch-

There are a couple of nice restauarants outside Union Station but within walking distance - Harry's (upscale American) & Schlafly's Tap Room (very nice microbrewery with good food).

Washington Avenue is several blocks away but is a nice refurbished area of restaurants, lofts, etc. Soulard area is just south of the new stadium & is a great place to go to hear blues if you're in the mood.

Cards tix are a very tough ticket this year but you can always pick one up outside the stadium before the game.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by mitch1
Glad to hear the light rail is that close to the hotel - will need to find out if it actually stops at the airport or a few blocks away the terminal.
The metrolink stops at both the main terminal (most airlines including AA) and the east terminal (southwest airlines).

http://www.metrostlouis.org/
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Thanks, as I am doing my 60000 AA run in 2 weeks and staying here one night, this information came just in time.

Anyone know how safe the ride from the airport is in the evening - 10pm'ish?
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
Thanks, as I am doing my 60000 AA run in 2 weeks and staying here one night, this information came just in time.

Anyone know how safe the ride from the airport is in the evening - 10pm'ish?
You will be fine on the Metro ride.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:12 pm

Wheres TWA: Glad to hear the metro is now safe to use. On my last stay at the Hyatt in St. Louis, which was several years ago, the hotel specifically advised me not to take the Metro for safety reasons but rather to use a taxicab. So I sprung for $40 or so to transfer from the airport to the hotel by taxi. Sounds like they have cleaned it up. Good to hear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.