Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a four night stay here over Christmas. This was my third or fourth stay in the past few years. For this stay, I had two rooms: one booked at a 30% off rate (~$110) for a tower king room, and a second I booked for my in-laws through Prive to ensure they’d have free breakfast.

As a globalist the hotel upgraded my room to a corner suite (which is really a junior suite) and they gave my in-laws the corner suite across the hall; I thought this was above and beyond (my in-laws have no status) and I appreciated it. They also waived the resort fees for both rooms. We all had breakfast at red marlin which I thought was a huge upgrade over the former club lounge. The food was good and the staff was very friendly toward our son. The buffet includes eggs cooked to order, including omelettes. The corner suite has been well described here, I really enjoyed the views from the room and the extra space.

We had one dinner at the poolside restaurant and I thought it was pretty good. We had burgers and other casual food and everyone was happy. My in-laws had one dinner at red marlin (to use the $100 Prive credit) and enjoyed it as well.

For the rate paid and considering the resort fee is waived for globalists, I thought this was a very good deal. The rooms are a little bit run down and I could clearly hear my neighbor through the connecting door (this was not really a problem since the bed in the suite is far removed from the connecting door). One day the weather was windy and this caused the elevators to behave very erratically, sometimes all but one elevator was out of service with the last elevator behaving oddly. The rooms were a little run down and there was significant staining of the wall near the desk in our room with what my wife thought was raspberry jam. This was a good location for a family trip and I appreciated the good treatment from the staff, but in general I think the Andaz and GH are nicer properties. I would stay here again if the rate were ~$150 or less but otherwise the city properties are more my speed.
soartoday and markko like this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Dec 28, 2018 at 9:34 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:37 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We had a one-night stay before Christmas and I emailed the GM requesting an upgrade. The GM did not respond, instead an assistant Director of Operations replied stating that we were upgraded and mentioned other Globalist benefits such as early arrival, late departure, breakfast at Red Merlin, etc. He also asked for our time of arrival at the property. I answered stating that we will be there around 1:00 PM driving from Orange County. We arrived rather at 2:30 PM due to traffic - this was on a Sunday and we had a flight to catch the next day SAN-NRT at 11:40 AM. We were made to wait another 45 minutes until we were given a room on the second floor in an adjacent structure that simply states, "THE SUITES". This was a tiny living area leading to a bathroom and double bedroom. The view from this second floor onto Mission Bay was blocked by this rusty roof of some sort of tackle shop(?). Really nothing to write home about but to start our trip on the right foot, I emailed the gentleman mentioned displaying my dissatisfaction with the view. We went out to dinner at the House of Blues in downtown San Diego (they have a great happy hour menu). Around 6 PM, we received a call from a lady manager who said they moved us to the 3rd floor (top floor) of this building away from the rusty roof. Sure enough when we returned we moved to 3202 which was good. The next room is 3201 which would have been a better upgrade offered a much superior location at the corner and was (and remained) vacant until we checked out. I guess we cannot complain as we used up our one category room upgrade as the Hyatt Globalist written benefits state. We settled in our room after 7 PM, six hours after our original plan!

Moving on to breakfast at Merlin, the food was delicious and the service was equally attentive. We ordered 5 dishes for the 4 of us and were completely satisfied. Checked out at 9 AM to return our rental and head on to SAN in the National Shuttle. Our bill was a $0 because we used up our Chase Hyatt category 1-4 free night. All in all, not bad for a one-night award stay.

Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not being close to the airport? That's 6 miles!
A better metric is how long it takes, given traffic, to get to the airport.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:59 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Kalboz
We had a one-night stay before Christmas and I emailed the GM requesting an upgrade. The GM did not respond, instead an assistant Director of Operations replied stating that we were upgraded and mentioned other Globalist benefits such as early arrival, late departure, breakfast at Red Merlin, etc. He also asked for our time of arrival at the property. I answered stating that we will be there around 1:00 PM driving from Orange County. We arrived rather at 2:30 PM due to traffic - this was on a Sunday and we had a flight to catch the next day SAN-NRT at 11:40 AM. We were made to wait another 45 minutes until we were given a room on the second floor in an adjacent structure that simply states, "THE SUITES". This was a tiny living area leading to a bathroom and double bedroom. The view from this second floor onto Mission Bay was blocked by this rusty roof of some sort of tackle shop(?). Really nothing to write home about but to start our trip on the right foot, I emailed the gentleman mentioned displaying my dissatisfaction with the view. We went out to dinner at the House of Blues in downtown San Diego (they have a great happy hour menu). Around 6 PM, we received a call from a lady manager who said they moved us to the 3rd floor (top floor) of this building away from the rusty roof. Sure enough when we returned we moved to 3202 which was good. The next room is 3201 which would have been a better upgrade offered a much superior location at the corner and was (and remained) vacant until we checked out. I guess we cannot complain as we used up our one category room upgrade as the Hyatt Globalist written benefits state. We settled in our room after 7 PM, six hours after our original plan!

Moving on to breakfast at Merlin, the food was delicious and the service was equally attentive. We ordered 5 dishes for the 4 of us and were completely satisfied. Checked out at 9 AM to return our rental and head on to SAN in the National Shuttle. Our bill was a $0 because we used up our Chase Hyatt category 1-4 free night. All in all, not bad for a one-night award stay.
Appreciate you taking the time to review your experience.Thank You
It appears as the GM here has recently delegated most guest contact over to the Director of Operations which also was my experience
just about a week ago as hit my 90th night this year taken at HR MB
Oddly I was emailing to say not to upgrade me as I was checking in very late and leaving early and didn't want the upgrade to go to waste!
They upgraded me anyway!

The Red Marlin (not the Red Merlin Magician knocks it out of the ball park with their breakfasts.
I see some mighty awesome happy faces at your breakfast table

Now as a rule and if asked by others I always suggest the main tallest tower as a Globalist and wouldn't consider anything else
though there may be a reason they assigned you the suites building
As one such example I noticed there were some sellout nights or high occupancy in between low occupancy days/nights
Even though the hotel is now clearly in their shoulder season
I found a few 80 dollar nights recently!!!The freeway motels get that and you will never get a breakfast this good rarely

Have noticed historically here families are more typically allocated accommodations in the 3 story building
My perception is they are slightly larger in square footage but I would argue the use of the space just isn't that great
We have hashed 1000 times before everything is subjective at the end of the day

I would rather have a high floor regular room with balcony non renovated than a suite in the 3 floor Suite building
Some may disagree as the The Suite building has been renovated recently or still in the process so suites may indeed be newer if that matters to some
Having said that the reason to be in the tower is the higher you go up the better the view and the balconies are terrific for lounging
Though noise can be heard from every accommodation sea lions, boats, traffic etc I find the higher you go the better off you are
Because of off season rates lately I cant recommend this property highly enough as especially for Globs the breakfast alone almost pays for the room!
Manchester can be twice or 3x as much.
Kalboz, gadberry, 59Impala and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 29, 2018 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by gadberry
HRMB +1. Casual atmosphere is great for kids and it's right on the bay. 777GMH, I always listen to his advice.
Thank You for the kind words just noticed that.
I usually get slaughtered here if saying something positive or negative it comes to some fair degree with any social media platform one posts on
Thought about blogging years ago dedicated to hotels and decided I couldn't stand the constant bashing that Gary and Ben receive regularly despite what they do exceedingly well
And the thought of pushing credit cards with banks I don't look up to or admire much wasn't my thing either
Kalboz and gadberry like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:09 pm

Gm email

Can you provide me the email address to the direct of operations? thanks so much!

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Appreciate you taking the time to review your experience.Thank You
It appears as the GM here has recently delegated most guest contact over to the Director of Operations which also was my experience
just about a week ago as hit my 90th night this year taken at HR MB
Oddly I was emailing to say not to upgrade me as I was checking in very late and leaving early and didn't want the upgrade to go to waste!
They upgraded me anyway!

The Red Marlin (not the Red Merlin Magician knocks it out of the ball park with their breakfasts.
I see some mighty awesome happy faces at your breakfast table

Now as a rule and if asked by others I always suggest the main tallest tower as a Globalist and wouldn't consider anything else
though there may be a reason they assigned you the suites building
As one such example I noticed there were some sellout nights or high occupancy in between low occupancy days/nights
Even though the hotel is now clearly in their shoulder season
I found a few 80 dollar nights recently!!!The freeway motels get that and you will never get a breakfast this good rarely

Have noticed historically here families are more typically allocated accommodations in the 3 story building
My perception is they are slightly larger in square footage but I would argue the use of the space just isn't that great
We have hashed 1000 times before everything is subjective at the end of the day

I would rather have a high floor regular room with balcony non renovated than a suite in the 3 floor Suite building
Some may disagree as the The Suite building has been renovated recently or still in the process so suites may indeed be newer if that matters to some
Having said that the reason to be in the tower is the higher you go up the better the view and the balconies are terrific for lounging
Though noise can be heard from every accommodation sea lions, boats, traffic etc I find the higher you go the better off you are
Because of off season rates lately I cant recommend this property highly enough as especially for Globs the breakfast alone almost pays for the room!
Manchester can be twice or 3x as much.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:12 pm

Can 777 GMH or Kalboz or whoever PM me the email address to the director of operations? My family have a stay coming up there. Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:59 pm

Completed a short one-night stay at this hotel this past weekend. Overall we rated this stay as above average and will definitely return for the pools during better weather conditions.

Positive:
* The service - GM emailed and introduced a day before arrival. We were greeted with a smile by each of the staffs we encountered. Both rooms in the reservation were upgraded with a nice view of the marina and we got chocolate dipped strawberries!
* Red Marlin - Our family declined the buffet breakfast. Food were wonderful and no charge for both rooms (4 adults & 2 toddlers).
* No resort & parking fees - Didn't have to ask and surprised the parking fee was waived

Negative:
* Remodeling in the Tower building - construction noises & paint/other odors
* Hot water is available but will literally take like at least 5 mins to get warm up
* Not a major issue but our room keys (4) did not work at the self-parking gate. Had to call in each time even though the staffs at the front desk re-activated our room keys twice.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by teocon18
Completed a short one-night stay at this hotel this past weekend. Overall we rated this stay as above average and will definitely return for the pools during better weather conditions.

Positive:
* The service - GM emailed and introduced a day before arrival. We were greeted with a smile by each of the staffs we encountered. Both rooms in the reservation were upgraded with a nice view of the marina and we got chocolate dipped strawberries!
* Red Marlin - Our family declined the buffet breakfast. Food were wonderful and no charge for both rooms (4 adults & 2 toddlers). Just two adults but Service and food were spot on, window seat.
* No resort & parking fees - Didn't have to ask and surprised the parking fee was waived

Negative:
* Remodeling in the Tower building - construction noises & paint/other odors
* Hot water is available but will literally take like at least 5 mins to get warm up
* Not a major issue but our room keys (4) did not work at the self-parking gate. Had to call in each time even though the staffs at the front desk re-activated our room keys twice.

Had a 2 night stay here this weekend. Have been staying at this Property for as long as I can remember. Love the new improvements of the Property. The pool, pool bar, front desk all have a better feel. Only true con was the Hot water. Just wasn't ever hot enough. Location in Mission Bay is probably why I lean to staying here versus the ANDAZ of GRAND. DO ALWAYS appreciate when a GM reaches out, and if I reply, get a quick response I feel like more Hyatt GM's are doing this, it's a small, but very kind reach out that does get noticed by me. Waking up at 6:15 to SUN rising in February is always a good thing.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Had a 2 night stay here this weekend. Have been staying at this Property for as long as I can remember. Love the new improvements of the Property. The pool, pool bar, front desk all have a better feel. Only true con was the Hot water. Just wasn't ever hot enough. Location in Mission Bay is probably why I lean to staying here versus the ANDAZ of GRAND. DO ALWAYS appreciate when a GM reaches out, and if I reply, get a quick response I feel like more Hyatt GM's are doing this, it's a small, but very kind reach out that does get noticed by me. Waking up at 6:15 to SUN rising in February is always a good thing.
Edan the GM here is a prince of a fellow and clearly the best in my 17 years of staying @MISSION Bay
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the quality and the design choice of the remodel.It looks low end IMHO but at least the rooms are new ^(sigh)
The public areas are ok but the rooms are where I believe it really fell short
But the hotel treats me great and the Red Marlin breakfast is always a pleasure served by their long time wonderful servers
creativeguess1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Globallist
Red face

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Edan the GM here is a prince of a fellow and clearly the best in my 17 years of staying @MISSION Bay
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of the quality and the design choice of the remodel.It looks low end IMHO but at least the rooms are new ^(sigh)
The public areas are ok but the rooms are where I believe it really fell short
But the hotel treats me great and the Red Marlin breakfast is always a pleasure served by their long time wonderful servers
SPOT ON! Edan is GREAT! Yes, the remodel does appear to be lower end, I guess I'm just excited to see the construction mostly over. Felt like it went on forever, so I must be easily amused with the updates. I can see that. : Hotel does still have good bones, think I was in 1101. Nice large room, Marina side.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I had a one night stay here over the weekend after three nights at the Marriott Marquis downtown. I had booked a base two bedded room and was upgraded to a two queen suite in the Marina building. I’d stayed several times in the tower but never the Marina - the room was a proper suite with a living room and bedroom. The room was a little dark but I really appreciated the extra space especially so I could get some work done in the living room while my friend slept. Of course, it doesn’t have the views of the tower but it still has a water view.

breakfast was at Red Marlin and I recognized the server from prior visits; nice guy and good food. There was no buffet, only off the menu. I assume this was due to low occupancy as the hotel seemed quiet. We had coffee, juice, and entrees and that and the tip was taken care of by the hotel. Of course no resort fee for globalists so we were out of there for around $155 altogether.

My friend and I had dinner at Coaster Saloon down by the beach. It’s Around a 20 minute walk from the hotel with lots of draft beer and the BBQ was better than I expected. I would return.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had a stay booked here for next week. Received a "welcome" email describing current procedures (quoted below). No housekeeping for stays of less than five nights. They are still charging a resort fee and $42 for self parking (no valet). I cancelled.

Guest Arrival:· Please note that the hotel currently has a 24-hour cancellation policy in place to ensure guests can make decisions on travel, based on personal health and safety, without penalty.

· Guests are required to wear a face mask while in shared spaces throughout the hotel. We recommend that you bring your own PPE to be comfortable.

· Appropriate signage will be prominently displayed throughout the hotel, outlining current physical distancing practices, as well as safety and hygiene guidelines.

· Guests will be asked to park in our self-parking lot, as valet services will not be available with the exception of guests requiring special assistance. Please note that our self-parking fee is $42/day.

· Guests will be able to pull up to the main entrance to unload luggage before parking in the self-parking lot.

· Employees will not open doors of cars or taxis.

· For contactless check in, guests are encouraged to download the World of Hyatt App https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...ds/mobile.html

Check-In Process:

· Plexiglass has been installed at the front desk.

· All guestroom keys will be sanitized before distribution.

· Front office hosts will be spaced every other station to allow for social distancing.

· Guests will be asked to put their credit card in the machine themselves and it will be sanitized between uses.

· Check-in lines will be marked with floor stickers to ensure that social distancing is followed.

Hotel Guest Elevators:

· Elevator button panels will be disinfected at regular intervals, at least once per hour.

· Signage will be posted to explain the current procedures.

· Guests are encouraged to only enter the elevators with those in their own party.

· Hand sanitizer will be provided outside of each elevator bank on the lobby level.

Guest Room Disinfection and Housekeeping Services:

· Guests will be assigned a room that has been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.

· Industry leading cleaning and disinfecting protocols are used to clean guest rooms, with particular attention paid to high-touch items.

· All bed linen and laundry will continue to be washed in accordance with CDC guidelines.

· Housekeeping services will not be provided for guests staying less than 5 nights. Rooms will be cleaned every 5 days or when rooms are checked out. Fresh towels and amenities will be available upon request and will be dropped off at your door in a contactless form.

Cleaning Products and Protocols:

· Our hotel uses cleaning products and protocols which meet EPA guidelines for use against the virus that causes COVID-19 and are effective against viruses, bacteria and other airborne and blood borne pathogens. We are working with our vendors, distribution partners and suppliers to ensure an uninterrupted supply of these cleaning supplies and the necessary PPE.

· The frequency of cleaning and disinfecting has been increased in all public spaces with an emphasis on frequent contact surfaces including, but not limited to, front desk check-in counters, elevators and elevator buttons, door handles, public bathrooms, room keys and locks, ATMs, stair handrails and seating areas.

Employee Training:

· Every employee entering the hotel will go through a wellness screening, in which their temperature is checked and they are asked questions regarding their current health status. All employees will be provide a mask and required to wear that mask while on property. Gloves will be provided to employees whose responsibilities require them.

· All employees will receive training on COVID-19 safety and disinfection protocols with more comprehensive training for our teams with frequent guest contact.

· The frequency of cleaning and disinfecting will also increase in high traffic back of house areas with an emphasis on the employee dining rooms, employee entrances, uniform control rooms, employee restrooms, loading docks, offices and kitchens.

Guest Safety Measures:

· All guests are required to wear a face mask while in public spaces throughout the hotel.

· Please wash your hands frequently or use the hand sanitizing stations that have been provided throughout the hotel for your safety.

· Throughout the hotel, signage will be prominently displayed, reminding guests to maintain physical distancing practices.

Physical Distancing:

· Any area where guests or employees form a line will be clearly marked for appropriate physical distancing. This includes front desk, registration, dining outlets and retail shops.

· Hotel front desk agents will utilize every other workstation to ensure separation between employees whenever possible.

Pool Modifications:

· The pool will be open from 8a – 8p daily, with limited capacity, in accordance with guidelines from local and state governments. Only the number of registered hotel guests per reservation will be able to use the pool facilities.

· The pool slides will be available from 12p – 6p daily.

· Pool chairs have been adjusted to allow for at least 6 feet of separation between groups of guests traveling together. If you need to move the pool chairs for any reason, we ask that you please ensure they maintain at least 6 feet from other parties.

· For your convenience, sanitization stations will be available in the pool area.

· Cabanas will be available, occupancy limited to accommodate social distancing.

· The Hot Tub is closed per the State of California guidelines.

F&B Dining Options & Hours:

· Market Mission Bay: Open 7a – 2p offering coffee, specialty coffee drinks, pastries, sandwiches and sundry items.

· Pelican’s Pool Bar: Open 12p – 6p offering poolside food and drinks.

· Restaurant 2 Go: Please dial 54 from your guest phone. Food will be available for pickup on the deck of Red Marlin Restaurant.

o Breakfast:7:30a – 11a

o Dinner: 5:30p – 9p

*Currently there is no inside dining available*

Fitness Center & Blue Marble Spa:

· Both areas are currently closed. There are many great outdoor trails and boardwalks for walking and running. Please see a Front Desk Host for a trail map.
markko likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I had a stay booked here for next week. Received a "welcome" email describing current procedures (quoted below). No housekeeping for stays of less than five nights. They are still charging a resort fee and $42 for self parking (no valet). I cancelled.
Good for you. Should let them know why you cancelled so they can stop being so asinine.

David
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by DELee
Good for you. Should let them know why you cancelled so they can stop being so asinine.

David
Just to ask - Are any properties actually suspending their “resort fees” or “destination fees”? I haven’t heard of any so just wondering.

As far as parking Hyatt just launched a new offer where you’ll get free parking when paying with points regardless of status.

The Hot Tub is closed per the State of California guidelines”

This is laughable though as I just stayed at Hyatt Regency Valencia which is in California and their Hot Tub was open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.