Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:13 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Yeah I read about the reports. most are very old though. many of the complaints are by hyatt club members and what not. im too young to know a ton (ive learned a lot in this first week after joining!). im just a student and looked every part of it. same with my friend. neither of us had credit cards, so we paid with cash. they treated us with alot of courtesy, just as they would any other customer. i was very please. breakfast was great and the pool was gorgeous. and the beds....
Old Mar 23, 2003, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were there last August too. I thought this was a good hotel as well, and the location is great -- it's nice to be so close to Orchard Road.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:51 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
The location is fantastic. I dont know if I would return unless I got another killer rate. I would try my hand at other hotels in the Orchard Road area, just to compare and contrast. The pool was great. The Business Centre was well run. I had to send a package and was running around trying to find a post office. They gave me an envelope, stamps and filled out the postal code. I missed lunch there, but the Marriot next door was serving "tea buffet" which was a grand feast in itself.. well worth it..
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:40 pm

Grand Hyatt Singapore rates

I'll be there for a weekend at the end of September and was startled to see that the best hyatt.com rate was S$225 a night, room only (allegedly with a "suite upgrade" if available on registration, probably that is to a Grand Club room).

Why was I startled? Because the nearby Four Seasons Singapore is offering a weekend rate of S$275 including room service breakfast for two! The PHS is a good hotel, but I doubt that it compares to the FS at roughly the same price (given the included breakfast). Seems to me that Hyatt isn't price competitive -- or should I be looking somewhere else for a better price?
Old Aug 10, 2003, 2:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
-- or should I be looking somewhere else for a better price?</font>
don't think so , but unless you can be 100% sure you will get a suite upgrade or at least a towers room , you should look for a better hotel !

Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:42 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
IMHO, the reviews at this property are anything but steller. I had a more expensive night there and got a "upgrade" ... yea to a larger room, NOT a Grand Room, facing the Marriotts car park and being able to hear the whine of the exhaust fans all night... great way to take care of/pre-block rooms for your Diamonds. My next 2 nights down the street at the Conrad were miles above in comparison. Good luck!
Old Aug 10, 2003, 2:05 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
I would recommended the Shangri-La in Singapore (they offer 3=2 at the moment).
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:32 pm

Let me explain why I'm asking:

We were in a Grand Club room a year ago, and it was OK (except for not being on the same floor as the club). The club didn't have internet access, but was decent.

Overall, though, it just doesn't seem like it would be competitive with the FS at roughly the same price even with a "space available" suite upgrade and diamond status. The smallest room at the FS is 48sqmt, which seems to me to be larger than the Grand Club rooms at the GH.

Guess you folks agree.

Old Aug 10, 2003, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
You shouldn't even consider the GH if the Four Seasons is available for S$50 more.

I'm there for a night in early September, just connecting flights, I get in at 5pm and leave again at 7 am the next morning and I was thinking of using one my FFNs to stay there and decided against it -- the hotel just isn't that good.

I'm just going to try to grab a room at the airport instead.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 08-10-2003).]
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:43 am

I've stayed at this hotel once or twice every month or so since March. As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a junior suite even without asking and I was even on an award stay but sometimes I got very unfriendly agents. This (and the not so great views from most of the rooms I had) is what I don't like about this hotel. I find Grand Club staff great and helpful. It's some check-in agents that I hate to see. Some are of course very nice.

If my budget allows, I concur with peter, I would definitely go to the Shangri-la in town (not the Sentosa one). For a view, privacy and a more affordable rate, I like the Swissotel the Stamford, that tall hotel. The Swissotel also has better spa facilities than the Hyatt, IMHO.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:04 am

if location is impt, the hyatt is in the middle of everything. four seasons is 4-5 blocks away from the hyatt and kinda on the fringe of the shopping belt. shangrila is possibly the best hotel in singapore but is a 5min taxi ride away from hyatt, and is in a more residential district of "downtown" if u will.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 6:37 pm

I have ended up changing my itinerary, spending only one night in Singapore with 9 hours between arrival and departure. So I'll most likely be sleeping at the in-airport hotel. I'll then try out the PH Melb for 3 nights to see if the service problems I experienced a few years ago have been ironed out.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Had I stayed in Singapore, I almost certainly would have gone with the FS, btw.

Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:16 pm

I was in SIN last weekend and stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 1 nite (corp rate of S$170) and the Four Seasons for 3 nites (my friend's corp rate of S$270).

GH's Grand Wing is undergoing renovation (scheduled to be completed, hopefully by Chinese New Year, next Feb/Mar?). The new Grand Club/Wing rooms will resemble GH HK's rooms (renovated 5-6 years ago?) and tons of other 'updated' blond wood minimalist look (which IMHO is already becoming dated and commonplace).

As a Diamond, I was updated to a spacious executive suite, much bigger than the jr suite I was in last Dec. Same country French decor. I was told that after we check out that same afternoon, the room will be taken out of inventory for the scheduled renovation.

The Grand Club lounge is closed. Diamond breakfasts and happy hour are served in the Scott's Lounge.

Four Seasons is a classier place, although no suite upgrade (my friend has no VIP status with them, and they don't have a formal loyalty program anyway), so the room is small compared to the GH suite. Overall decor is better than GH, but it's already dated. (No update or refurbishment since my last stay in '97.) Bathroom is nicer, with good quality L'Occitane toiletries. No free breakfasts or happy hour. Pool is small and surprisingly lacking in greenery. Health club is well-equipped. They have a laser disc (quite quaint!) library for free use, with limited and obviously out-dated movie selection. (GH HK has long upgraded to DVDs.) Service is, of course, more professional and attentive than the GH.

Location wise, both properties are about the same, as far as proximity to the Orchard Road shops.

My favorite hotel used to be the Westin Plaza (now Raffles Plaza) in Raffles City, for the location and excellent spa, and good value. But I haven't stayed there since they left the Starwood chain.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:55 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by saimike:
if location is impt, the hyatt is in the middle of everything. four seasons is 4-5 blocks away from the hyatt and kinda on the fringe of the shopping belt. shangrila is possibly the best hotel in singapore but is a 5min taxi ride away from hyatt, and is in a more residential district of "downtown" if u will.</font>
The Shangri-La is less than a five minute walk to Orchard road! Less than 10 to the Hyatt.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 6:55 am

The best rates I can find on Hyatt.com for early December are S$225 (prepaid) or S$250 standard. I'm not particularly concerned about updates because I'm only staying there one night and primary purpose is to log a stay to maintain status for next year.

Are there any alternatives to Hyatt.com where I might find a better rate? Even the Hilton is down to S$180 for the same period.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.