Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by strife

The final straw was my last visit to the property, when I decided to splurge on a Grand Executive View Suite as I booked close-in and was traveling with my s/o. When we arrived around 11 a.m., the front desk had no line and four agents sitting around doing nothing, yet they refused to check us in, stating that they would not handle any check-ins before 3 p.m. as the hotel was at full occupancy. This is beyond ridiculous from any standpoint, whether hotel ops or customer service; if the property is anticipating a particularly hectic day, narrowing the window for arriving guests is the precise opposite of what should be done, and shows total incompetence by management (and as long-time manager in the hotel industry, this is not a charge that I throw out lightly). Worse yet, the FD agent we spoke to even admitted our room was ready; they just were not going to check us in before 3 p.m.

When I got to the lounge at 3 p.m., needless to say it was a madhouse with nowhere to sit, people standing around crowding up even out to the elevator bank area, and guests' bags littered everywhere. A staffer with a clipboard checking people in told me it could be up to an hour wait to check-in. I was so frustrated at this point I told them to cancel my reservation, and even after all that, they still tried to charge me one night's deposit. It is truly amazing that is the treatment given to LTG paying for a Grand Executive View Suite and I never considered returning to the property after that.
I'm shocked because Globalists should be able to check-in at will. The sheer intransigence from those FD staff when the room is ready. I think I would have gone off and demanded to speak to Duty manager or Director of Rooms. I bet upper management would light a fire under their butts!

They're going to play games when it's an elite member and someone who PAID for the suite in question? I'd never have gone back if the response from upper management wasn't decisive and apologetic.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, that's a real horror story. It's too bad. When I stayed there last year (mid-late May, 3 night stay) I got a comp suite upgrade. I thought the hotel was solid, though nothing special. It's not going to make my "favorite hotels in the world" list any time soon, but, overall, I was happy with it. Good value for the price and no real complaints. Good location too.

If I had your experience I would not go back, for sure. I think you were more patient than I would have been. I would have told the staff that I was a globalist, and globalists were entitled to early check-in, and that they could either check me in or get a manager.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by soartoday
Wow, the refusal to check in before 3pm is quite surprising! Did they give you the same story up in the lounge before 3pm?
I didn't bother going to the lounge as I assumed the answer would be the same. Given how crowded the lounge was at 3 p.m., I think that wound up being a safe assumption.

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm shocked because Globalists should be able to check-in at will. The sheer intransigence from those FD staff when the room is ready. I think I would have gone off and demanded to speak to Duty manager or Director of Rooms. I bet upper management would light a fire under their butts!

They're going to play games when it's an elite member and someone who PAID for the suite in question? I'd never have gone back if the response from upper management wasn't decisive and apologetic.
I was told by the FD agent that it was a management directive. I have worked in hotels nearly my whole life so I tend to be more forgiving (or at least more understanding) of front-line employees under bad management. We had a lunch obligation across town so we did not make a big deal out of it initially. It only really affected us when we came back later and were told we might have to wait an hour to get checked in.

I hate DYKWIA-ing but I agree that having this treatment when paying for a top suite and being LTG left a bad taste. Management at the time defended the policy and response to a further e-mail complaint was less than adequate which is why I decided never to return.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Wow, that's a real horror story. It's too bad. When I stayed there last year (mid-late May, 3 night stay) I got a comp suite upgrade. I thought the hotel was solid, though nothing special. It's not going to make my "favorite hotels in the world" list any time soon, but, overall, I was happy with it. Good value for the price and no real complaints. Good location too.

If I had your experience I would not go back, for sure. I think you were more patient than I would have been. I would have told the staff that I was a globalist, and globalists were entitled to early check-in, and that they could either check me in or get a manager.
Yes, it's a shame as I do like the location especially being able to walk right over into Taipei 101 on the walkway. The property is just too unpredictable though when it is so different at high occupancy versus low occupancy.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:23 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by strife
The final straw was my last visit to the property.
Sorry to hear - I feel better about my previous thumbs down review earlier in this thread. It sounds like I was not completely off the mark.

Note that Sheraton Grand Taipei tried to charge me half a night rate when I attempted to check in early as Platinum. I refused and said I would wait. Not completely different from your experience...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
I stay there frequently and have always been treated extremely well.
Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shelby101
I stay there frequently and have always been treated extremely well.
Sorry you had a bad experience.
It was actually my third stay at GH Taipei during which I experienced poor service or at least major service failures. On the other stays I had absolutely no complaints. This property is dramatically different when at full occupancy versus low occupancy.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: CI Emerald. Marriott Plat. Hyatt Globalist.
As a Taiwanese it sucks to see so many people discontent with one of the few 5 star hotels we have here in Taipei. However the GH is closing later this year, hopefully the PH and Andaz that'll open in late 2020 will elevate our standards in the hotel industry.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by yellowmamba
As a Taiwanese it sucks to see so many people discontent with one of the few 5 star hotels we have here in Taipei. However the GH is closing later this year, hopefully the PH and Andaz that'll open in late 2020 will elevate our standards in the hotel industry.
Is it really closing? Do you have a link?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it was just rebranding (no longer a Hyatt) but remaining open?

There is some discussion around post 577 of this thread. I guess nothing is really confirmed yet though?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully, the lazy staff here get left behind too.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Is it really closing? Do you have a link?
Rumored to be happening in 2020, not this year. Existing discussion here: Grand Hyatt Taipei to close in 2020?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718

Rumored to be happening in 2020, not this year. Existing discussion here: Grand Hyatt Taipei to close in 2020?
​​​​​​​Thanks for the information, I had heard read the rumor that they were rebranding but hadn't seen a link. The link in the other thread was informative...after Google translate did it's best. This sounds like a bummer. My grand plan was to book over NYE/NYD 2020-2021 with the family and use lounge passes on the trip. I hope that the new Hyatt hotels will be category 4 still!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the information, I had heard read the rumor that they were rebranding but hadn't seen a link. The link in the other thread was informative...after Google translate did it's best. This sounds like a bummer. My grand plan was to book over NYE/NYD 2020-2021 with the family and use lounge passes on the trip. I hope that the new Hyatt hotels will be category 4 still!
My guess would be Cat 5s.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Thanks for the information, I had heard read the rumor that they were rebranding but hadn't seen a link. The link in the other thread was informative...after Google translate did it's best. This sounds like a bummer. My grand plan was to book over NYE/NYD 2020-2021 with the family and use lounge passes on the trip. I hope that the new Hyatt hotels will be category 4 still!
The GH rebranding rumor is very unsubstantiated.

As far as I can tell, the construction site of the 46-story Sky Tower which will house the PH and Andaz is still a hole in the ground, which would make a 2020 opening very doubtful.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:12 pm

I don't think Taiwan is about 5 star hotels. It is about a local feel. I mean, one of the restaurants I went to in Taipei was about "small eats" (snacks), and it was a fancy place.
And in terms of service, isn't Taiwanese service about flexibility and warmth? At these supposed 5 star restaurants they are trained to be stiff and by the book. And I find it ridiculous. Who are they trying to imitate? British?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.