Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, Accor Silver
I am going to Grand Hyatt in Taipei in 2 weeks and I am going to take the bus 1960 from the airport which will stop right in front of Hyatt. Has anyone had experience with it in terms of traffic jams for example? It seems the best option because it is a direct bus ride.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Cleveland88
I am going to Grand Hyatt in Taipei in 2 weeks and I am going to take the bus 1960 from the airport which will stop right in front of Hyatt. Has anyone had experience with it in terms of traffic jams for example? It seems the best option because it is a direct bus ride.
I've taken the bus a number of times, to GH and Taipei City Hall (W, LM, etc). It's a cheap option, but infuriatingly slow. Once it exits the freeway, it meanders from one hotel to the next, and it can spend an hour easily in (unnecessary) city traffic. If you want to take the bus, I'd get off at the first stop once it reaches Taipei, and then take a taxi from there. Or just take the MTR to Taipei station, and then a cab from there to the Hyatt.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:16 pm

I arrived here at GH Taipei yesterday and took the MRT from the airport. The transfer at Taipei main station was straightforward, just a short-ish walk to switch to the red train line. It's a separate fare but the machine wasn't too difficult to figure out. No credit cards accepted so you need a little cash. It was something like 150 NT$ and 30 NT$ for the 2 rides. As long as you're not dragging a lot of luggage with you, I'd recommend the MRT. I just had a backpack and carry-on suitcase.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
My wife and I have taken the bus RT once and the airport train + taxi RT once, both times with large poorly rolling suitcases for long stays. We have also walked the rout from the airport trains terminal at Taipei Station to the subway just to check it out.

With baggage I would definitely recommend the airport train + taxi. There is an easy elevator up from the platform at Taipei Station and it is right there at the taxi queue. We did note, however, that the taxi ride was slightly longer and more expensive than expected in both directions due to traffic.

I I were alone with just an easy rolling carry on I would take the airport train and then the subway. While I personally would never call the route from the airport train to the red line "short" it is an easy and pleasant walk. However, the walk from the subway to the GH would not be pleasant with even just small roll-on if is is raining, especially if you need to use the elevator, since that means more uncovered distance.

The main advantage of the bus is the low cost, and I did not think the time required for the trip to be significantly longer. However, there is likely to be a certain amount of wait time, especially on the return because the bus can be 5+ min late, but you still have to be out there waiting at the scheduled time. The bus was not terribly uncomfortable, but not exactly comfortable either, and the driver seemed a bit put out to have to load/unload our luggage underneath the bus, even though I did half the work. The bus let us off at the bottom of the entrance driveway at the GH and picked up on the street at the side entrance, neither of which would be too nice if it is raining.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I just stayed here a few days ago again.

Transportation: This time I did MRT-to-Taxi, and then Uber-to-MRT on the way back. I was a little tired and just wanted to make it as fast as possible.

Dining: I walked to the Xinyi area (walking mall) for dinner. Unfortunately most of the places close at midnight, with food stopping at 11pm. I ended up having ramen at Ichiran (24 hours).

Breakfast: I've been having breakfast at the restaurant, which I realized this stay was included as part of my inexpensive corporate rate. In three stays I haven't had breakfast at the lounge yet.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpdx
I've taken the bus a number of times, to GH and Taipei City Hall (W, LM, etc). It's a cheap option, but infuriatingly slow. Once it exits the freeway, it meanders from one hotel to the next, and it can spend an hour easily in (unnecessary) city traffic. If you want to take the bus, I'd get off at the first stop once it reaches Taipei, and then take a taxi from there. Or just take the MTR to Taipei station, and then a cab from there to the Hyatt.
That's a bit over dramatic. It stops at the Subway station and two hotels along the way to Grand Hyatt.

I have a bigger problem with the temperature on board the bus. It's usually cold as a fridge.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
That's a bit over dramatic. It stops at the Subway station and two hotels along the way to Grand Hyatt.

I have a bigger problem with the temperature on board the bus. It's usually cold as a fridge.
Sometimes not only as cold as fridge, but humid as well when it is raining buckets outside. TPE>MTR>Xinyi or Taipei 101 with small carryon/trolleys is fine mode of transport, unless its rush hour. Then I would take the taxi option from Main Station, but my flights usually arrive at a ungodly 5:00 am from YYZ.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luvFclass
Sometimes not only as cold as fridge, but humid as well when it is raining buckets outside. TPE>MTR>Xinyi or Taipei 101 with small carryon/trolleys is fine mode of transport, unless its rush hour. Then I would take the taxi option from Main Station, but my flights usually arrive at a ungodly 5:00 am from YYZ.
I tried that once and stopped the time. Didn't gain anything after running around to get the train and then connecting at the train station. Maybe I try the train/taxi combo next time but generally I just find the CitiAirBus more convenient.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
.. generally I just find the CitiAirBus more convenient.
What does the CitiBus cost from TPE>GH TPE door to door? I will have time on my hands over the Lunar NY, so I may give it whirl as an option.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
What does the CitiBus cost from TPE>GH TPE door to door? I will have time on my hands over the Lunar NY, so I may give it whirl as an option.
CitiAir Bus is 145 NTD: https://www.taiwanbus.tw/information...e=3463&Lang=En
luvFclass likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Gengar wrote above it's 145 NTD per trip and has to be paid in cash (at the airport - no CC accepted), GH can sell you tickets too and obviously you can pay by card but they seriously charge you a cash-out fee for that 'service'.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:41 pm

Is the GHT leaving Hyatt? My mother said she read some recent Taiwan news that it is closing and potentially rebranding but I could not find any English information. Can someone confirm?

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimen...002501-260410#
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by illico
Is the GHT leaving Hyatt? My mother said she read some recent Taiwan news that it is closing and potentially rebranding but I could not find any English information. Can someone confirm?

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimen...002501-260410#
From a Google translation of that article, it seems like a rumor that even the writer of the article doubts. Here's hoping that it is no more than a rumor.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bworrell
Dining: I walked to the Xinyi area (walking mall) for dinner. Unfortunately most of the places close at midnight, with food stopping at 11pm. I ended up having ramen at Ichiran (24 hours).
For late night eats, definitely consider Tonghua night market. It's straight down Jilong Rd (the night market runs down Linjiang St with one entrance at Jilong Rd). Probably 15 mins tops walking. It's my favorite night market in Taipei, in part because it's not nearly as touristy as some of the others.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: HHonors, USAirways
what is the best option for a room for a family of four? We have stayed here in the past when we had three adults and two children so we had to book two rooms. This time we are two adults and two children but I am not seeing any rooms that are a king bed with sofa bed or something like that where children can sleep.

I don't have status with Hyatt but want lounge access. Is there any way to get that upgrade other than booking that rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.