Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:06 pm

Planning to stay here later on in the year, on points. I no longer have status with Hyatt and was wondering if this hotel was worth making a reservation as "Guest of Honor." I have friends who are Globalists, and asking is no big deal, but wasn't sure if it was worth it. It's our first time visiting Taiwan and I wasn't sure whether access to lounge would make any difference or not. Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by boracat
Planning to stay here later on in the year, on points. I no longer have status with Hyatt and was wondering if this hotel was worth making a reservation as "Guest of Honor." I have friends who are Globalists, and asking is no big deal, but wasn't sure if it was worth it. It's our first time visiting Taiwan and I wasn't sure whether access to lounge would make any difference or not. Thanks!
I think this is one of the hotels where is makes a HUGE difference to be a Globalist (or GOH).

Lounge is excellent, as GLO/GOH you're entitled to Grand Suite or the Premier King with 101 view which is almost better than Grand Suite. Late check-out... Do it!

As a side note, remember that your friends can only receive points every 30 days so if you have someone you trust just transfer a larger amount of points into their account for future bookings as well. Saves hassle.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I think this is one of the hotels where is makes a HUGE difference to be a Globalist (or GOH).

Lounge is excellent, as GLO/GOH you're entitled to Grand Suite or the Premier King with 101 view which is almost better than Grand Suite. Late check-out... Do it!

As a side note, remember that your friends can only receive points every 30 days so if you have someone you trust just transfer a larger amount of points into their account for future bookings as well. Saves hassle.
Ok, will do. Thanks!!!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Grand Hyatt Taipei = Decent Hotel But Not The Best In Town

Grand Hyatt Taipei

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Grand Hyatt Taipei

2 SongShou Road Taipei, TW 11051

Grand Hyatt Taipei = Decent Hotel But Not The Best In Town (13 Photos)

Grand Hyatt Taipei

I had a short 1-night stay at Grand Hyatt Taipei with a cash booking at the last minute.  I stayed at Sheraton Grand Taipei last year and I wanted to try some place else to compare, and the Grand Hyatt was only charging a modest price premium compared to the Sheraton Grand and the Westin.  

The location of the GH is excellent, immediately next to Taipei 101 and only a short walk from the subway station.  That is probably the strongest point of the hotel because it’s very centrally located in the city.  You can reach the hotel from the airport with public transit. The train from the airport takes about 40 minutes to Taipei Main Station.  Then you can transfer to the subway red line although it’s quite a bit of a walk in the main station to reach the subway.  The GH is 7 stations away from the main station.  All in, it takes over an hour to reach the hotel.  

Room

I did not use a Globalist Suite Upgrade Award because my stay was short, but I was upgraded to a suite nonetheless. Interestingly I got suite #2524 which @cooltyler complained about in his comments in this thread a few months ago. I don’t know about the term “throwaway suite” and I cannot compare with other suites in the hotel, but I can definitely see where he’s coming from.  The Sheraton Grand was not modern by any stretch of the imagination, but I think my suite at GH was worse.  The wall between the living room and the bedroom is a cheap thin wall sheet which does not look well painted.  The layout is certainly not the best for example the hallway from the bedroom going to the main bathroom.  When you walk through the first door, you immediately face a wall, turn left and you are in a narrow corridor / closet, then the bathroom is through another door further on the right.  The position of the TV in the bedroom is not ideal either.  It’s on the wall on the side of the bed instead of being in front of the bed where there is a wall with nothing on it.  The bedroom is not very large and feels a bit cramped.  The power plugs are near the floor behind the night tables which is not what you would find in a more modern hotel.  On the plus side, there is a half bath at the entrance of the room, which is convenient. However even there the layout is odd - I don't think the wall between the toilet and the sink is useful.

20180711_030916.jpg20180711_030948.jpg20180711_031008.jpg20180711_031035.jpg20180711_031053.jpg20180711_031123.jpg

I wonder how many other suites in the hotel have the same size and layout as room 2524.  Is it the only suite with that design, and they use it mostly for Globalist suite upgrades and not for people paying cash for a suite?  If so, it would give credence to the “throwaway suite” label.  Perhaps I sound picky and who should complain about a free suite upgrade?  But the issue is that I am comparing with my previous stay at Sheraton Grand which was 7 nights, not 1, and I got upgraded to a suite there too which was generally nicer, roomier, and had better design.  

On a positive note, the bed at GH was very comfortable and I slept well.  

Dining

Breakfast is only offered in the Club Lounge for Globalists (6:30am-10:30am during the week, until 11am during weekends).  You can pay 990 TWD for breakfast in the restaurant and Globalists get a 10% discount so 900 TWD which seems on the expensive side.  Also I was advised at check-in that the restaurant can get crowded so I went to the lounge.  I found the lounge to be quite nice.  I expected a small lounge given previous comments by other posters about the difficulty to find a seat, but the lounge is large with many nooks and corners, each with tables.  If you have a group of 4-6 people you could have a semi-private area.  The downside is if you are alone or a couple, you might get someone sitting quite close to you.  There is also a long table cafeteria-style in the middle of the lounge.  I did not find the lounge crowded at all.  For both the breakfast and happy hour, the lounge was no more than 30% full.  The food offerings during happy hour (5:30pm-8pm) were good but not great.  The Sheraton Grand is clearly better particularly in terms of hot food choices. To be fair, the Sheraton’s strength is the lounge so if comparing GH with other Starwood hotels, the Grand Hyatt might fare better.  GH has a noodle station with a chef which was good, but the rest of hot food was so-so. I enjoyed the cold chicken salad and they have a good selection of desserts.  They had Chandon sparkling wine, two choices or white wine, two reds, and spirits.  The breakfast was a notch below happy hour and was nothing to write home about. There was an omelette station but no noodle dish or noodle soup.  Similar to the evening, hot food choice was limited and not on par with several other Asian hotels, and once again if I compare with Sheraton Grand, the GH lounge breakfast leaves to be desired.  

20180711_045421.jpg20180711_045525.jpg20180711_045842.jpg

Gym

I went to the fitness gym and it was excellent. There is a small room with free weights and a larger room with several treadmills and weight machines.  They have only 3 elliptical machines which was surprising but given that I was there during the night there was nobody else there other than cleaning staff.  

20180711_135510.jpg20180711_135639.jpg20180711_135720.jpg20180711_135748.jpg

Overall

Overall I would say it’s not a bad hotel and if I only had status with Hyatt, I would return.  I would gladly take the suite upgrade, even if the suite is not the nicest I have seen, and I would enjoy the Club Lounge benefits.  However as long as I have status with Starwood, that is probably where I will end up next time.  If I wanted to be in a similar location as GH, I would probably try the W or Le Meridien to compare with GH.  If not, then I know Sheraton Grand is ok and usually cheaper than GH.  The Westin is also another alternative but in a less desirable location. 

Grand Hyatt Taipei = Decent Hotel But Not The Best In Town

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Taipei?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:37 am

Never got upgraded to one of these suites before. On all my stays as a Globalist, I have been upgraded to the renovated Grand Suites.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm staying here in a few weeks on a 20-ish hour layover. I looked into hotels nearer Tayoyuan but ultimately decided that the MRT is fairly efficient and didn't like the hotels near the airport anyways.

Last time I stayed here it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the hotel from the airport. Airport to airport station, waiting, and travel time to Taipei main station was 54 minutes, 10 minutes walking to other line, and another 20 minutes on that line to the Grand Hyatt. When I left the next day I took Uber to Taipei main station -- not sure that was worth it... only NT$205, but still took 20 minutes, but this was a Thursday morning at 8:30AM, so that might have had more to do with it. This time I'm leaving on a Sunday morning so may do the same thing again.

Just wanted to comment on my transportation and if anyone else has suggestions let me know!
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bworrell
I'm staying here in a few weeks on a 20-ish hour layover. I looked into hotels nearer Tayoyuan but ultimately decided that the MRT is fairly efficient and didn't like the hotels near the airport anyways.

Last time I stayed here it took me about 1.5 hours to get to the hotel from the airport. Airport to airport station, waiting, and travel time to Taipei main station was 54 minutes, 10 minutes walking to other line, and another 20 minutes on that line to the Grand Hyatt. When I left the next day I took Uber to Taipei main station -- not sure that was worth it... only NT$205, but still took 20 minutes, but this was a Thursday morning at 8:30AM, so that might have had more to do with it. This time I'm leaving on a Sunday morning so may do the same thing again.

Just wanted to comment on my transportation and if anyone else has suggestions let me know!
Thanks for posting this. I was just asking about this in a Taipei thread in the Asia forum.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
I did the exact same layover thing in August as I am arrived into TPE on a Saturday evening. i took the Airport MRT to Main Station, then took a cab to the hotel from there. Cost was around 250NT (8 USD) it was in the evening around 9:30pm. Don't bother with taking the MRT to Xinyi station as easy as it may seem, with such a short layover $8 USD is money well spent.

Next morning (Sunday at 7:00am) I departed via taxi to MRT Main Station, and GH TPE front desk prepared a continental breakfast of fruit, juice, cookie and salad for me to takeout (requested and free for Globs) . Since i was going to eat breakfast at the BR J lounge, I offered it to the taxi driver , and it was well received as they normally don't eat that types of food.

Traffic was not existent in the early Sunday morning, so commuting was quite simple. Enjoy.

LFC
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
When I left the next day I took Uber to Taipei main station -- not sure that was worth it... only NT$205, but still took 20 minutes, but this was a Thursday morning at 8:30AM, so that might have had more to do with it. This time I'm leaving on a Sunday morning so may do the same thing again.
The one advantage of rideshare/taxi to/from Taipei station when taking airport MRT is skipping the lengthy walk from the airport MRT to the red line at Taipei Main Station. That (plus the walk from GH to Taipei 101 MRT station) will negate any advantage the red line might have over rush hour traffic.

At the same time, given private car hire into the city from TPE is ~$1200 tops, I'd just as soon take that rather than the airport MRT and go straight door-to-door.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum

you can take MRT direct to TPE main station- about 40 min. Then either take Uber or taxi to Hyatt. Should be no more than one hour.

The MRT is now at Basement of terminal 1 and 2. Hop on direct train is 36-40 min ride. $160 NT per trip. Taxi or MRT red line to Hyatt is also quiet fast. Once you get out of TPE station, you should be able to see a bamboo garden. Walk up, you can connect to red and blue line. Red line takes you to Hyatt.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
The one advantage of rideshare/taxi to/from Taipei station when taking airport MRT is skipping the lengthy walk from the airport MRT to the red line at Taipei Main Station. That (plus the walk from GH to Taipei 101 MRT station) will negate any advantage the red line might have over rush hour traffic.

At the same time, given private car hire into the city from TPE is ~$1200 tops, I'd just as soon take that rather than the airport MRT and go straight door-to-door.
what hell are you talking about?

GH walk to 101 station is literally like couple hundred meters tops. You literally step out of the side door and walk to the end of block. You are at 101 station.

The walk to red line from airport MRT station at TPE is literally 2 escalator from getting off the train to get to basement of TrainStation (where you wait for high speed rail and train). Then probably 5 min you can connect.

The problem with taxi or car hire is traffic. You will get stuck just getting off high rise section into the city. As well as getting off the exit to Hyatt from Neihu.

Airport express and taxi from main station is probably the fastest combination.

Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by krispykrme
what hell are you talking about?[left]
GH walk to 101 station is literally like couple hundred meters tops. You literally step out of the side door and walk to the end of block. You are at 101 station.

The walk to red line from airport MRT station at TPE is literally 2 escalator from getting off the train to get to basement of TrainStation (where you wait for high speed rail and train). Then probably 5 min you can connect.

The problem with taxi or car hire is traffic. You will get stuck just getting off high rise section into the city. As well as getting off the exit to Hyatt from Neihu.

Airport express and taxi from main station is probably the fastest combination.
No need to be uncivil and rude.

When comparing public transport to a direct door-to-door car service, every additional walk/wait/inconvenience of the former needs to be accounted for when comparing to the traffic risk of the latter. It may only be a 250m walk from GH Taipei to the nearest MRT red line entrance, but that's 250m that still has to walked - plus then actually getting to the MRT platform, which may be compounded by the nearest entrance (5) not having a down escalator, so then is taking the elevator necessary? etc. etc. Then add in potential wait for the train.

Even if that all only takes 5 minutes, that's still 5 minutes of potential traffic that is already negated by the short distance on the GH Taipei side.

Traffic in Taipei can be bad (especially east-west across the city during rush hour), but the reality is that traffic will rarely be bad enough to make up for all the walk/waiting time of the MRT, especially considering the subway ride itself from 101 station to Taipei Main Station already takes 14 minutes (a few minutes longer than a car will take door-to-door without traffic).
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: pleb
what hell are you talking about?

But that's still a "couple hundred meters". That still requires some time for walking, and you have to factor in how much luggage the person is carrying.

You make it sound like it's really close, but there's still a bit of distance between two, even if it's "literally 2 escalators". Also requires some time for walking. As gengar stated, all the time spent walking between all the stops still have to be factored in.

I generally use UberX these days, between GH and the airport it's always around $900ish TWD.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE

you can take MRT direct to TPE main station- about 40 min. Then either take Uber or taxi to Hyatt. Should be no more than one hour.

The MRT is now at Basement of terminal 1 and 2. Hop on direct train is 36-40 min ride. $160 NT per trip. Taxi or MRT red line to Hyatt is also quiet fast. Once you get out of TPE station, you should be able to see a bamboo garden. Walk up, you can connect to red and blue line. Red line takes you to Hyatt.
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post. That's exactly what I did (MRT-to-MRT on the way there, Uber-to-MRT on the way back).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:23 am

Any have the email contact info for a VIP manager or FOM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.