Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Thanks for the extra boost, but I was rounding a bit, plus of course I'm been shrinking (Typical height shrinkage is about 1 cm every 10 years after age 40, so there goes a couple cm)
This is not the first thing that came to mind when discussing shrinkage, nonetheless, now I need to go see if I've lost 6mm.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Perhaps the ceiling height differs depending on room type. It was definitely noticeable to point the point that the room felt cramped (even though it wasn't necessarily that small).
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:49 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by UAuhoh
I quit this hotel because of the lounge which, on 3 of 4 visits, was more like a children's daycare center. Complaints to the supervisor were met with suggestions that we visit another venue (eg, the lobby bar).
I was pretty impressed with the lounge on my prior stay a coupe months ago, but on my current stay, it's ridiculous. I went up around 6pm -- no seats available and all the food (3 hot items and 2 salads, some tuna dish and some smoked salmon) gone. I left and walked around the nearby malls for an hour, and when I returned at 7pm, there was still no seating and no food. Someone left and I was able to catch a table, but the food situation remained dire -- a pasta dish was eventually brought out, but the other hot items (beef skewers and salmon, according to the signs) never came back, and neither did the smoked salmon and tuna dish. Bread was gone by 7.15pm, I had to request and wait five minutes for clean forks, desserts ran low, and at some point, 8 people were waiting in line at the dan dan noodle station (the only hot food available). I foolishly assumed that more stuff would be brought out, and during one of my trips to the (empty) buffet area, an eager staff cleared my table. It was astoundingly bad!

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Perhaps the ceiling height differs depending on room type. It was definitely noticeable to point the point that the room felt cramped (even though it wasn't necessarily that small).
I think I've figured this out. I'm 6'5", and while the ceiling height in the Grand Suite I had last time wasn't great, it didn't feel cramped. This time, I'm in a Premier Room (not quite sure about the name). It has a very weird layout with strange angles and a big pillar in the middle of the room, and (most noteworthy) much smaller windows than regular rooms. Although the room is fairly large, it feels really small and the ceilings are awfully low.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jpdx

I think I've figured this out. I'm 6'5", and while the ceiling height in the Grand Suite I had last time wasn't great, it didn't feel cramped. This time, I'm in a Premier Room (not quite sure about the name). It has a very weird layout with strange angles and a big pillar in the middle of the room, and (most noteworthy) much smaller windows than regular rooms. Although the room is fairly large, it feels really small and the ceilings are awfully low.
We had that room initially assigned in June and expressed displeasure before being assigned a suite accessible after happy ended.

I definitely did not enjoy that layout.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
It seems like this hotel has no Cash + Points rooms available on weekdays, only on weekends. Anybody able to find a way around this?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:31 am

Avoid Suite 2524

Just checked in on a paid rate using a Globalist suite upgrade and was assigned Suite 2524. At first, I was excited to be on the top floor of the hotel, but upon entering the room, I realized suite must have been made from using extra space or splitting a larger suite into a smaller one. In short, the layout was so bad, a regular room had more space. It also appeared to have not been renovated in a very very long time. Only after complaining did they "downgrade" me to a regular Grand Suite 10 floors down.

Frustrating as I've stayed here three times before and wouldn't expect to get the "throwaway suite".
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by zhaofa90
It seems like this hotel has no Cash + Points rooms available on weekdays, only on weekends. Anybody able to find a way around this?
The only thing I can suggest is try each night separately. I have seen dates where P&C rates were not available for a 3-night stay, but were available for each of the 3 nights booked separately. I have also seen lower rates for booking separate nights than for a multi-night booking.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Do any of the Grand Suites here have Taipei 101 views?

Edit: was informed by the hotel none of the grand suites have the 101 view. Suites with 101 views are another category higher.

Last edited by frudd38; Dec 23, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:25 am

Does anyone have any experience using the Amex Fine Hotels program while staying here?

I'm curious of the breakfast included is in the lounge or in the downstairs restaurant.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Misread

Last edited by footastic; Jan 11, 2018 at 8:51 pm Reason: am a idiot misread
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by robe0341
Does anyone have any experience using the Amex Fine Hotels program while staying here?

I'm curious of the breakfast included is in the lounge or in the downstairs restaurant.
I'm pretty sure that FHR breakfast is at the main restaurant (as it is almost everywhere). Whenever I have stayed on FHR or Virtuoso, it was the same breakfast as if I had booked a breakfast inclusive rate.

If you have Club access because you're Globalist, then you would be able to choose between the Club Lounge and the main restaurant for breakfast.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by stargold
If you have Club access because you're Globalist, then you would be able to choose between the Club Lounge and the main restaurant for breakfast.
At every Grand Hyatt (SF, Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei) I've been to, the policy has been complimentary breakfast is available only in the lounge for Diamond/Globalist. Which is why I disfavor them.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by princesakura
At every Grand Hyatt (SF, Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei) I've been to, the policy has been complimentary breakfast is available only in the lounge for Diamond/Globalist. Which is why I disfavor them.
We've always been able to choose between the lounge or restaurant for free breakfast with Globalist. Same with the GH Hong Kong as well.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:30 am

Yeah, never had that myself. Lounge only. Going to GH Taipei later this year and expecting lounge only there as well.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:23 am

To be clear, I'm talking about cases where you book the FHR rate as a Globalist.

If you make a room only booking on Hyatt.com, you will usually only be allowed lounge breakfast if the property has a lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.