Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
This is my 6th stay here and the club lounge people are great. The food spread also seems above average. I think this is a very nice hotel.

Following up on nearby food.

Selfish burger - not bad, fun place
Kiki Sichuan Food - pretty good
NOLA Cajun restaurant - God Awful
Gordon Biersch - better than expected if you're desperate for a solid western meal
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Rotus12
Has anyone found any good dinner restaurants nearby? They destroyed the menu in the GH lobby restaurant which used to have a good Lemon chicken entree.

Please don't say DTF.
Not sure what type of food you're looking for, but Taipei 101, Mitsukoshi mall, and new-ish Breeze mall all have great food courts and restaurants if you're looking for something convenient. They're all walking distance from GHT. Taipei 101 food court is decent, but the Mitsukoshi and Breeze food courts all have great eateries with huge variety in selection. These aren't the crappy US type food courts, they have a lot of good quality shops.

Outside of the food courts, Mitsukoshi has a lot of different full restaurants too. And Breeze is more restaurants style than food court.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Damn this thread brings back lots of memories. I go back to before the GH opened, who else remembers when the entire area was an army base and Chiang Ching-kuo was President?

It's been about 10 years since I have been in Taipei, more like 15 since I came there regularly. I have lots of fond memories of the friendly Taiwan people, and watching Taipei grow up.

Before the Grand Hyatt I stayed at the Taipei Regency, Asiaworld, and the Howard Plaza. The Grand Hyatt was a big step up to true international standards. It was a big deal when it opened. I miss Taipei and the Grand Hyatt.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:03 pm

Grand Hyatt Taipei - June 2017

Despite the vile World of Hyatt, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Taipei for two nights in June 2017.

Check-in:

Disappointingly, a long wait at check-in and no dedicated Globalist area (just a general line for WoH). I was upgraded to a Grand Suite King without prompting.

Grand Suite:

Breakfast in main restaurant:

Grand Club Happy Hour: (sorry, forgot the drinks)

Overall:

A pleasant stay with nice, helpful staff.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
For my most recent stays (end May/early June) I could swear the suite closet was orange... or have I stayed in too many hotels to keep track?

Did you pay for the resto breakfast? That was not an option extended to us.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

awww I thought that was the lounge offerings until i saw the title.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Did you pay for the resto breakfast? That was not an option extended to us.
I don't recall negative memories or being annoyed so I'm presuming I wasn't charged for the breakfast in the main restaurant on both mornings.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
I don't recall negative memories or being annoyed
That's good.

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
so I'm presuming I wasn't charged for the breakfast in the main restaurant on both mornings.
Either you were or you weren't.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: pleb
For my most recent stays (end May/early June) I could swear the suite closet was orange... or have I stayed in too many hotels to keep track?
You're not imagining. Have stayed here multiple times a year for the past few years, and this is the first time I've seen the white closets as well. Just did a week stay with family and had a Grand King, Grand Suit, and a Grand Executive suite. All the closets/drawers were orange.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Seeing the latest pictures in this thread I remember the reason why I wasn't a fan of the rooms at this property -- the incredibly low ceiling height! Makes the rooms, even the 'junior suites', feel incredibly cramped.

The lounge was pretty good though.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by staff
Seeing the latest pictures in this thread I remember the reason why I wasn't a fan of the rooms at this property -- the incredibly low ceiling height! Makes the rooms, even the 'junior suites', feel incredibly cramped.

I'm 181 cm (6 ft) tall and did not find the room ceilings low at all.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Same here... no problems at all with room height. Didn't even notice them, and I live in a house that has 3m high ceilings :-).
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I'm 181 cm (6 ft) tall and did not find the room ceilings low at all.
Don't shortchange yourself, 6' (72") is 182.9 cm.

Originally Posted by RTW1
Same here... no problems at all with room height. Didn't even notice them, and I live in a house that has 3m high ceilings :-).
I'm 186 and hadn't given it a thought either.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by staff

I think GH Seoul wins for shortest hallway ceilings ever. Most adults and even some kids can easily jump and touch them.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Don't shortchange yourself, 6' (72") is 182.9 cm.
Thanks for the extra boost, but I was rounding a bit, plus of course I'm been shrinking (Typical height shrinkage is about 1 cm every 10 years after age 40, so there goes a couple cm)

I remember reading about someone complaining about low emergency exit signs in the hallways at GH Taipei after the major renovations. I don't recall being bothered by that, but we were there for 11 nights and I certainly did not feel that the room ceilings were especially low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.