Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by npei
http://taipei.grand.hyatt.com/hyatt/...ewsId=46724086

Massive renovation project to begin next week, will close 8/12-23 for demolition on parts of the hotel. Renowned Parisian design firm, Didier Gomez Interior Design (DGID), to design the entire guestroom renovation plan. After reopen 8/24/12, two-phase renovation finish 5'2014.

Local press report Hyatt to spend US$1B on renovation.
This hotel was tired and in dire need of getting renovated. I don't, however, believe that they are going to spend a billion dollars to get it fixed.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by jpdx
One billion US Dollars? A thousand million? They better get solid gold bathtubs throughout for that money!
Originally Posted by holtju2
This hotel was tired and in dire need of getting renovated. I don't, however, believe that they are going to spend a billion dollars to get it fixed.
My bad. Renovation is US$100M not $1B.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpdx
One billion US Dollars? A thousand million? They better get solid gold bathtubs throughout for that money!
Given that:

1. Gold is about $26,000 a pound
2. An cast iron bathtub weighs about 300 pounds
3. Gold is about three times heavier than iron

A billion dollars would be about enough to get you 42 solid gold bathtubs.

Certainly not enough to redo the entire hotel, but perhaps enough to outfit the suites.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:15 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
That's an excellent new though! This GH definitely needs a renovation. The rooms are nice and of a good size but the overall feel is "old".
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
It has been about 5 years since I have visited Taiwan, and I do sometimes miss it.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt from the time it opened. I cannot remember exactly what year that was, but I think it must have been around 1990. Does anyone know when it actually did open? Anyone else remember when that entire area was a Taiwan army base?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by MW147
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt from the time it opened. I cannot remember exactly what year that was, but I think it must have been around 1990. Does anyone know when it actually did open? Anyone else remember when that entire area was a Taiwan army base?
I believe it opened in 1990. FWIW, I was good friends with the daughter of the Israeli gentleman who was placed in Taiwan in some capacity to do with the hotel's opening. Funny enough, she used to bring me Hyatt related brochures and directories as gifts. Keep in mind that this was when I was in third or fourth grade!

I don't remember much about the area, although in my childhood mind, it seemed really, really far away.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by npei
http://taipei.grand.hyatt.com/hyatt/...ewsId=46724086

Massive renovation project to begin next week, will close 8/12-23 for demolition on parts of the hotel. Renowned Parisian design firm, Didier Gomez Interior Design (DGID), to design the entire guestroom renovation plan. After reopen 8/24/12, two-phase renovation finish 5'2014.

Local press report Hyatt to spend US$100M on renovation.
Not much detail on what they are going to do.

Will the size of the rooms change? The layout/configuration of them? (I assume carpets, fixtures, and furnishings will be replaced.) Will they change the pool at all?

Originally Posted by holtju2
This hotel was tired and in dire need of getting renovated.
It didn't seem so bad to me, maybe some rooms were worse than others?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
We just returned from a stay here. Had a wonderful trip and were treated like visiting royalty. Can't speak highly enough about the staff here.

We did have opportunity to chat with Frances the Hotel Manager who shed some light on the renovation project. It sounds like the renovation is going to be quite extensive. They are using the opportunity to redo a bunch of the infrastructure, cabling, A/C, Plumbing, etc as well as fully gutting the rooms.

I would stay here in a heart beat again prior to the renovation being done, the people are just terrific, and while the non-renovated room was somewhat dated, it was still very nice. I am looking forward to our next trip which will be after the renovation project is complete.

Scott
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:25 pm

I always found their staff to be awesome! And their English is great at the Front Desk too!

When is the estimated date for the renovations to be over for that first half of the building?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Oh the front desk staff is fantastic as well. My wife forgot her iPhone in a taxi on the trip, we discovered it missing roughy an hour later, and the front desk staff tracked it down with the taxi driver. Can't speak highly enough of the front desk staff, big kudos to Clarissa who tracked down the phone. Also big kudos to taxis in Taipei, the only place where I've had tips turned down in all my years of travel.

As for the renovations, I believe the first half is due to be completed in late spring/early summer of 2013. (I could be wrong on this, the discussion was after an evening of free flowing scotch so please double check with the hotel.)

Scott
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Was here in Oct, another ^ for the staff, esp the club lounge staff.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyboy_421
.....As for the renovations, I believe the first half is due to be completed in late spring/early summer of 2013.....
Was told May 2013 when first half of the renovated rooms will be open for use.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:56 pm

Thumbs up again for the GH Taipei.

After my last stay in November, I received the usual email with the short survey, which I took time to do and at the end, I just noted that their rooms were missing some plugs right next to the beds, which makes it easier for people like me who use their phones as alarm clock and I like to charge my phone during the night so that it's operational and fully charge in the morning.

They replied personally to my comment saying that this will be implemented in the renovated rooms, due to be finished by May 2013 (for the first half of the hotel that is).

And when I checked in last weekend into my room, surprise, they added a multi plug extension right next to my bed. It was plugged somehow below the night stand and they had to kind of pull out a wood panel but I found this to be a very good service, that my remarks had been added to my profile and that they actually do check it before my arrival.

And again, all the staff there, from doormen to front desk to club staff and spa attendants are all super professional and calling me by name most of the times. ^

Can't wait to see the renovated room soon! They needed it as the competition in that area is quite strong with the W and the Le Meridien. There's another building in construction next to the W and Mitukoshi department store. I wonder if it's another hotel or just an office building?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by enelym1978
They needed it as the competition in that area is quite strong with the W and the Le Meridien. There's another building in construction next to the W and Mitukoshi department store. I wonder if it's another hotel or just an office building?
Anyone stayed at both the W and the Grand Hyatt? Going to be in Taipei for a couple nights at the end of Mar. Grand Hyatt has club rooms available for 15k/night. W Taipei has Cool Corner room for 14,500 points/night. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ps9a
Anyone stayed at both the W and the Grand Hyatt? Going to be in Taipei for a couple nights at the end of Mar. Grand Hyatt has club rooms available for 15k/night. W Taipei has Cool Corner room for 14,500 points/night. Any suggestions?
Unless the GH has a renovated room for you the rooms are very very tired. The W is very new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.