Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Public transport to GH please.

Inbound and it has been two years since last visit. Can someone comment on transport from MEL to GH if anything has changed? Thank you.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:44 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
When I travel light, I would take a SkyBus outside the curb at MEL for $18 one way. It takes you to the Southern Cross Station. From there, it is a quick tram ride (5-6 blocks) on Collins Street.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. Do they also run the onward shuttle bus from SCS to GH?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. Do they also run the onward shuttle bus from SCS to GH?
Yes they do run shuttle, cost is included. They wait at SCS for a group to fill a shuttle to various hotels. We waited about 20 min for shuttle.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:48 pm

Thank you!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt Melbourne

I had an incredible stay at this hotel in December 2014, and have an upcoming trip to Melbourne again.

I opted to stay at the GH Melbourne instead of the PH Melbourne (where I've never been before).

I am using C&P and a DSU. Anyone disagree with me, and think I should choose the PH? It's slightly more points, but not a dealbreaker.

I also read on Lucky's blog that they charge extra for the full breakfast buffet as a Diamond. I don't like hotels that nickel and dime me, so another reason why I am opting for the GH.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:17 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I had an incredible stay at this hotel in December 2014, and have an upcoming trip to Melbourne again.

I opted to stay at the GH Melbourne instead of the PH Melbourne (where I've never been before).

I am using C&P and a DSU. Anyone disagree with me, and think I should choose the PH? It's slightly more points, but not a dealbreaker.

I also read on Lucky's blog that they charge extra for the full breakfast buffet as a Diamond. I don't like hotels that nickel and dime me, so another reason why I am opting for the GH.

Thoughts?
If you were highly satisfied at the Grand Hyatt there is fair chance you may be
dissapointed at the Park Hyatt
IMHO the only advantage with the Park is that the basic standard rooms are better and larger
The Grand Hyatt has a better breakfast a dependable always open club,killer high floor views and a vastly better gym (avoid the locker room it stinks of foul body odor)
The suites are good at the Grand Hyatt and DSU gets u in^
I also find room service to be vastly better at the Grand
Opinions vary widely on the topic depending on the guest
You can't go wrong with either but it's obvious the Grand is my choice!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 24, 2015 at 1:41 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
If you were highly satisfied at the Grand Hyatt there is fair chance you may be
dissapointed at the Park Hyatt
IMHO the only advantage with the Park is that the basic standard rooms are better and larger
The Grand Hyatt has a better breakfast a dependable always open club,killer high floor views and a vastly better gym (avoid the locker room it stinks)
The suites are good at the Grand Hyatt and DSU gets u in^
I also find room service to be vastly better at the Grand
Opinions vary widely on the topic depending on the guest
You can't go wrong with either but it's obvious the Grand is my choice!
Thanks! My experience with the GH was extraordinary, so I'm going to stick with the GH.

I actually gave them a TripAdvisor pin (TripAdvisor gave me 2), as I really felt the staff went above and beyond.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:14 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs down

Thanks! My experience with the GH was extraordinary, so I'm going to stick with the GH.

I actually gave them a TripAdvisor pin (TripAdvisor gave me 2), as I really felt the staff went above and beyond.
Nice
The Collins Kitchen is awesome downstairs but the service can be overwhelmed when busy
Diamonds have a reduced charge to visit and the selection good and vast
the Park Hyatt Melbournes restaurant for breakfast underwhelming in everyway
other than presentation

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 24, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Nice
The Collins Kitchen is awesome downstairs but the service can be overwhelmed when busy
Diamonds have a reduced charge to visit and the selection good and vast
the Park Hyatt Melbournes restaurant for breakfast underwhelming in everyway
Do you mean for breakfast or meals later in the day? Whats the reduced charge?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:12 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I believe $22 at the GH.

To compare the PH has an 8$ charge for a la carte items which the chefs cook for your fresh.

My opinions differ to 777 Global Mile Hound and are listed in both review threads.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I believe $22 at the GH.

To compare the PH has an 8$ charge for a la carte items which the chefs cook for your fresh.

My opinions differ to 777 Global Mile Hound and are listed in both review threads.
Thanks for your insight!

IMHO I don't think the PH should nickel and dime a Diamond guest the extra $8. I've been to many PH's and other hotels where they make fresh food, and don't charge you anything extra.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:35 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Thanks for your insight!

IMHO I don't think the PH should nickel and dime a Diamond guest the extra $8. I've been to many PH's and other hotels where they make fresh food, and don't charge you anything extra.
Call it what you like, but you could save the DSU and have a vastly superior stay at the PH. Why wouldn't you try them both?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Count me in the PH advocates as well.... I find the GH, especially the club, to be very mediocre. I'm a big breakfast fan and hardly felt the need to use the $8 upgrade at the PH while at the GH I did consider the upgrade to the restaurant because I found breakfast lacking. Evening service was also nothing to shout about, although it wasn't bad.

The GH is great for the view and the Gym (although the PH had everything I needed). But personally after comparing both last year I would run to the PH.

But both are still decent choices though, so you cannot really go wrong :-).
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Count me in the PH advocates as well.... I find the GH, especially the club, to be very mediocre. I'm a big breakfast fan and hardly felt the need to use the $8 upgrade at the PH while at the GH I did consider the upgrade to the restaurant because I found breakfast lacking. Evening service was also nothing to shout about, although it wasn't bad.

The GH is great for the view and the Gym (although the PH had everything I needed). But personally after comparing both last year I would run to the PH.

But both are still decent choices though, so you cannot really go wrong :-).
Call it what you like, but you could save the DSU and have a vastly superior stay at the PH. Why wouldn't you try them both?
You both make valid points. My stay at the GH, I found the breakfast just fine, and when I asked for cream cheese, and was told they didn't have it, the next morning, they got it special for me, which I thought was very kind.

I think the evening service at the GH was fine, and they do have drinks which I like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.