Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 3, 13, 6:17 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
1957 is my usual room. It's a Club Deluxe King. Literally the suites are in the other wing with a frosted door.

So the fact you thought it was a suite, and you didn't use an e-cert is a positive.

If you do use an e-cert, the suites at the GH are far larger, although rather soulless.

Oh, and note your bathroom and phone at the GH. They are even older than the bathrooms at the PH. The phone is from the 1980s!
Don't be shocked new phones at the GH!
But still dated Standard hotel phones used for the last 10 15 years none the less
Those pre historic things are def gone!
Old Oct 3, 13, 6:39 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
Don't be shocked new phones at the GH!
But still dated Standard hotel phones used for the last 10 15 years none the less
Those pre historic things are def gone!
Maybe in the suites? In the Club Kings the phones still have the square buttons and no display.

Have you had the set lunch menu in the Collins Kitchen? I also recommend the King Prawns in XO sauce at the bar.
Old Oct 21, 13, 2:22 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum
This is my fifth stay here in the last few months and I usually stay here only when the PH is sold out.

What I like:
- Updated lobby is modern
- Location is far more convenient than the PH
- The Club lounge is fantastic. The cold canapes are especially good and I always enjoy the view
- The gym is very well equipped
- Modern room furnishings feel more up to date than PH

What i don't like
- The noise in some rooms. Some rooms I've had have been whisper quiet, while others have been intolerable. Does anyone have a favourite room configuration they'd like to share? My favourite thus far is the **07
- The wine in the Club lounge is quite pedestrian. Stay away from the reds and the majority of whites. The Heathcoate Sauvignon Blanc is probably the pick
- The rooms are terribly small, albeit nicely furnished
- Service never feels quite as polished or as sincere as the PH, but it probably isn't intended to be
- The pool is really a fish pond

Overall, I think this hotel often gets a terrible rap on this forum. While it's not perfect, and the PH is superior in most ways, with the right room this is a perfectly pleasant property.
Old Oct 21, 13, 12:46 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Elope View Post
This is my fifth stay here in the last few months and I usually stay here only when the PH is sold out.

What I like:
- Updated lobby is modern
- Location is far more convenient than the PH
- The Club lounge is fantastic. The cold canapes are especially good and I always enjoy the view
- The gym is very well equipped
- Modern room furnishings feel more up to date than PH

What i don't like
- The noise in some rooms. Some rooms I've had have been whisper quiet, while others have been intolerable. Does anyone have a favourite room configuration they'd like to share? My favourite thus far is the **07
- The wine in the Club lounge is quite pedestrian. Stay away from the reds and the majority of whites. The Heathcoate Sauvignon Blanc is probably the pick
- The rooms are terribly small, albeit nicely furnished
- Service never feels quite as polished or as sincere as the PH, but it probably isn't intended to be
- The pool is really a fish pond

Overall, I think this hotel often gets a terrible rap on this forum. While it's not perfect, and the PH is superior in most ways, with the right room this is a perfectly pleasant property.
I echo that the club lounge is fantastic here
Not only are the offering's generous but of very high quality. The team bent over backwards with the best of Hyatt hospitality frequently recognizing me by name and always a smile.
The small lounge team raced and replenished dishes and made sure tables were clean even on the busiest of days
Not being a wine drinker I will take your word
The fitness center has recently invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in new cardio including state of the art new generation treadmills, bikes and ellipticals.
The locker room however should be the next renovation and focus its tired and sometimes stinky

Had mostly polished service throughout the GH hotel from the lobby to the lounge. If one is not using points or a suite upgrade to confirm a suite
I would ask for the extra large and quiet rooms facing the train tracks
They feel almost like a suite. Unfortunately I don't remember the room number
I'm a huge fan of the hotel and know from expereince they tend to be weak on upgrades however I work around it as its my favorite otherwise
Old Dec 1, 13, 12:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm considering staying here for my next holiday. Does anybody know if there are any suites with twin beds? The description seems to suggest it since it mentions beds and the max occupancy is quoted as 3 persons....

I would like to use one of my suite upgrades here, but since I'm traveling with my father the preference is for twin beds.... two rooms gets a tad expensive :-).
Old Dec 2, 13, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
I'm considering staying here for my next holiday. Does anybody know if there are any suites with twin beds? The description seems to suggest it since it mentions beds and the max occupancy is quoted as 3 persons....

I would like to use one of my suite upgrades here, but since I'm traveling with my father the preference is for twin beds.... two rooms gets a tad expensive :-).
I think that reference to "custom made beds" in the description of Grand Suite King is most likely a typo and the max occupancy of 3 persons would be 2 in the king bed and a rollaway. We've stayed in the suite, and the views were fantastic. We generally preferred the Park Hyatt, but on one stay the suite at the Grand was the same price as a room at the Park. You might want to inquire directly; maybe the king bed can be split into 2 'Hollywood' twins as they can sometimes be in Europe, but I rather doubt it.
Old Dec 2, 13, 11:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks... I figured that there wouldn't be two beds (there rarely are) but I've contacted the hotel just to be sure.
Old Dec 3, 13, 12:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Thanks... I figured that there wouldn't be two beds (there rarely are)
Strange that Japan always has twin bed suites. There are even numerous major hotels have only (or maybe 90%+) twin bed rooms.
Old Dec 22, 13, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT DIAMOND,
I have a one night stay planned in July --

Arriving at Melbourne Airport at 1p...

I leave the next day at 9:30a.

Wondering:

1) Which hotel is most convenient to get to and from the hotel and what is the cost?

2) Which hotel is better located to experience the city for the 10-12 hours or so I'll have to enjoy Melbourne
Old Dec 22, 13, 7:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me View Post
I have a one night stay planned in July --

Arriving at Melbourne Airport at 1p...

I leave the next day at 9:30a.

Wondering:

1) Which hotel is most convenient to get to and from the hotel and what is the cost?

2) Which hotel is better located to experience the city for the 10-12 hours or so I'll have to enjoy Melbourne
Both hotels are well located but the Grand is closer to the CBD.

A taxi fare will cost you $50-$55. You can also take the Skybus for about $17 one way. The journey takes 20 minutes and goes to Southern Cross Station. From there they offer complimentary shuttle bus transfers to hotels but to save time I've always just taken a taxi to the hotel for about $12.
Old Jun 17, 14, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold; Hyatt; Hilton; SPG
Has anyone stayed at this property recently to provide any update on availability of upgrades, quality of the lounge, etc?

I'm a Diamond member will be in Australia in late July/early August. Currently I am debating between the Grand Hyatt vs the Park Hyatt in Melbourne -- or dividing my days between the two properties.

Input from recent guests would be appreciated, as the other information seems to have gotten a bit "cold" . Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 14, 11:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not really as old as you suggest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...a-ph-gh-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...thread-28.html

Peoples opinions vary :-).
Old Jun 18, 14, 12:49 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Angry

Originally Posted by AKCuisine View Post
Has anyone stayed at this property recently to provide any update on availability of upgrades, quality of the lounge, etc?

I'm a Diamond member will be in Australia in late July/early August. Currently I am debating between the Grand Hyatt vs the Park Hyatt in Melbourne -- or dividing my days between the two properties.

Input from recent guests would be appreciated, as the other information seems to have gotten a bit "cold" . Thanks.
This had Ben answered many, many times
Old Mar 20, 15, 6:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold

I have stayed at both PH and the GH and would choose the GH for the location and view if you get the right room. I would use A DSU for the stay depending on how long your staying for. The PH is kinda down the end and out of the way but some rooms do have a view of the new church across the room and also the suite i stayed in at the PH does have a fireplace i dont think the grand has any rooms with a fireplace
Old Mar 21, 15, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold; Hyatt; Hilton; SPG
Originally Posted by Shanye2233 View Post

I have stayed at both PH and the GH and would choose the GH for the location and view if you get the right room. I would use A DSU for the stay depending on how long your staying for. The PH is kinda down the end and out of the way but some rooms do have a view of the new church across the room and also the suite i stayed in at the PH does have a fireplace i dont think the grand has any rooms with a fireplace
LOL! You replied to my post from last June, Shanye2233, so your reply seems to have had a nine month gestation ...

Since that time I've already had a lovely stay at the GH Melbourne, a terrific stay at the PH Melbourne, and a fabulous stay at the PH Sydney.

Search this Thread