Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Was it booked as a GOH award stay, or a regular points stay? Only a GOH booked award is eligible for benefits.

Some people have been confused, and think free night certificates, or normal awards booked from a Globalist account automatically qualify for GOH benefits.
How is it different? The T&C for guest of honour refer to “Free Night Awards” and these are described as being redeemable via points: Free Night Awards and Room Upgrade Awards may be: (i) available to Members who redeem a specified number of points

Regardless, this booking was made using a cat 1-4 free night milestone award (after staying 30 nights) and it stated GUEST OF HONOR in the reservation and was booked via an agent.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I think it has to be booked as a guest of honor stay via points and done via agent to ensure it is coded properly. I'm not sure free night certificates count
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
According to Hyatt concierge, the current upcharge for breakfast (for Globalists) is as follows:

Collins Kitchen Full Buffet Breakfast $45 per person, or Collins Kitchen Continental Buffet Breakfast $37 per person
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:30 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andreiz
According to Hyatt concierge, the current upcharge for breakfast (for Globalists) is as follows:
It used to be $22 for club guests. Why would it be more for Globs who have club access?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I believe that raises a red flag and in error
My guess is that is the regular charge and not the up charge for club guests
Unless there has been a massive increase
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Hyatt concierge said they made a mistake. It's still $20 for club guests.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:23 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Had another 5 night stay here, solid hotel. I don't quite get the praise some prior posters lavish upon the club staff. I don't think anyone ever talked to me (other than maybe to check my room number, and even that's uncommon). Club lounge is excellent; it may be my #1 Hyatt choice outside Asia, and probably in the top-5, definitely top-10, worldwide. Solid, high quality food options for happy hour (6-8pm), easy enough to make into dinner if you're so inclined. Good spread of alcoholic drinks (mid-shelf liquor, local brews, wine, Chandon sparkling wine). Breakfast is also fine, a buffet with a few hot and cold options, eggs made to order and delivered to the table. Welcome letter says restaurant breakfast is available for $20 buy-up (we didn't try). Upgraded to a high floor club room -- not huge, but well appointed and not in terrible disrepair. Never had a suite here, not sure if they don't have many or we're just unlucky. View is pleasant, location suits us, gym was great.

OT, we had an early morning flight out of MEL, so decided to move to Hyatt Place Essendon Fields for the last night. The property doesn't seem to have a thread, so a quick note here. We took tram 59 (toward Airport West) to stop 56 (Earl St), and then it's an easy 5 minute walk. The whole trip took around an hour from GH (apparently you can shave off a few minutes by taking a commuter train first and then connecting to the tram). It's a new build HP, quite nice rooms compared to the handful of HPs I've stayed at in the US. Got an "upgrade" to a top floor King, maybe 30sqm/300sqft. Front desk agent expected us and had reviewed my profile -- mentioned my favorite drinks (sorta scary that some hotels record that kind of thing) and invited us to have a couple at happy hour. Free breakfast not bad, with an egg station, and quite frankly not much worse than the GH club breakfast (which surprised me, because I only remember slop at HPs in the US). The property has a free shuttle to the airport that runs on the hour; the ride takes less than 10 minutes. Hotel hopping for a single night can strain a relationship, so I try to avoid it, but in this case the reward was juicy -- on a BRG rate of AUD120-ish, I earned 7500 points (5000 BRG bonus, 1500 Chase weekend bonus, regular&double points). So this place may be the best mattress run opportunity in Australia. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for an airport layover, but note that there's not much nearby (Coles/Nandos in walking distance), and the place isn't a suitable base for visiting downtown Melbourne.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:50 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpdx
Club lounge is excellent; it may be my #1 Hyatt choice outside Asia, and probably in the top-5, definitely top-10, worldwide. Solid, high quality food options for happy hour (6-8pm), easy enough to make into dinner if you're so inclined. Good spread of alcoholic drinks (mid-shelf liquor, local brews, wine, Chandon sparkling wine).
Try the PH MEL Park Lounge!
shillard and serfty like this.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 29, 2020 at 3:52 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by jpdx
OT, we had an early morning flight out of MEL, so decided to move to Hyatt Place Essendon Fields for the last night. So this place may be the best mattress run opportunity in Australia. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for an airport layover, but note that there's not much nearby (Coles/Nandos in walking distance), and the place isn't a suitable base for visiting downtown Melbourne.
Agree 100%. I got stuck here after being in melb during the Aussie Open and all hotels being ~AUD$400/night. They were able to check me in at 11a and a nice, clean place and decent kitchen. Somewhat of a walk able "downtown" area a mile or so away with decent restaurants, but i mostly took an uber into CBD. I like it much better than the holiday inn at the airport, but this one isn't walking distance to the terminal.

Funny story when i was checking in:
Front desk : Have you stayed at a Hyatt in Australia before?
Me: Yes, I stayed at the park hyatt a few months ago.
Front desk: Oh, this will be a different experience for you.
jpdx likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Hi guys

Has anyone stayed in the diplomatic suite and/or premier suite ?
What were your thoughts ?

Cheers
Old May 22, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Nizar
Hi guys

Has anyone stayed in the diplomatic suite and/or premier suite ?
What were your thoughts ?

Cheers
Just thought i'd bump this.
Any opinions guys ?

Thanks
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
As 2020 draws to a close, does anyone on FT have recent experiences at the Grand Club they're able to share?

While the hotel website indicates it is still closed in the evenings, anecdotal evidence suggests it is now open again.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WISEMEN
As 2020 draws to a close, does anyone on FT have recent experiences at the Grand Club they're able to share?

While the hotel website indicates it is still closed in the evenings, anecdotal evidence suggests it is now open again.
Stayed for a week at the hotel earlier this month. The lounge is open, but most days did not have any food available, only beverages. Also generally un-staffed.
  • Breakfast was available daily at Collins Kitchen. Modified full buffet available with individually plated items, or staff serve you for things like hot food or bakery.
  • Evening canapés available at Collins Kitchen on weekdays, and in the lounge on weekends. Food variety was average, it was again a modified buffet but you only had three choices (think things like mini pies, spring rolls). They did serve a 'starter' of dips and bread to try and make up for this though. Beverages limited to soft drinks, beer and wine.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Evening canapé selection.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: SQ, QF, AA, Marriott, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by gravii

Evening canapé selection.
Thanks Gravil, that looks very sad, especially in view of the hotel's historically high standards.

While business has no doubt been very difficult in the last few months, I hope the leadership has plans to return the Grand Club to its former glory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.