Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 12, 16, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I visited in the evening on two different dates last month. On one trip they had some roast beef and au gratin potatoes, but the second night nothing that really interested me and I just had a glass of wine and headed out for dinner. Desserts, on the other hand, might be tempting. They're on the opposite side of the lounge.

Old Jun 19, 16, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by talfred View Post
Hey guys
How are the evening club lounge offerings at this property?

For ease of comparison, the good spreads I've experienced are from GH KL, HOTB Shanghai, GH Bali, GH BKK to name a few...
I was last there in 2012, but I'd rate it as good. Below most of the hotels you mentioned.
Old Jul 26, 16, 11:42 pm

Just returned from this property 2 weeks ago for 5 nights and thought to just throw in a quick review.

Checked in via the Club lounge and was attended by Mona. Best person I dealt with from my entire stay, I see that she was also mentioned by earlier posts so good job to her!

Applied DSU so received a suite with ample living space though nothing impressive. For some strange reason the Nespresso machine is kept in the drawer so you need to plug it in manually (Incase you are looking for this). Received a bottle of wine and some nuts as welcome amenity.

Redundant living space (exactly identical) found in the Bedroom so we never used it, bathroom on the hand had a relatively good layout with Jacuzzi. Downside that it was only a single basin.

Visited the Grand Club for breakfast each morning and found options to be very repetitive. One thing to highlight is that there were No Eggs Made to Order! I had scrambled eggs a few days in a row and got very tired of it, one day they made poached eggs out of the kitchen but you had to ask for it (no notice or menus displayed). In any case, all Grand Clubs/Regency Clubs I've visited have eggs to order i.e. omelette, hard boil etc... so this was a disappointment.

Evening spreads was well appointed with frequent refills but inconsistent. On one night I guess the chef had lots of 'leftovers' so both hot dishes were the same. It was some paella rice dish with seafood, sausages, meat etc...

The last night night I was there surprised to find fresh oysters so the quality/selection of food does vary day to day. But quite good and on par with Asian properties. Desserts on the separate side of the lounge was consistent.

Overall service quality was just so-so-average (3.5*) if not quite artificial. Whatever you need just gets done and did not experience any service on a personalized/warmth level.

I guess this is the case with many western business properties and I'm a visiting Asian tourist

Overall I thought the location was a winner with easy access to trams and just blocks away from the famous streets!

If you are renting a car the hotel does not have any special in-house guest rates so you need to pay the regular prices or use their $50 daily valet (allows multiple entry)

Last edited by talfred; Jul 26, 16 at 11:49 pm
Old Jul 27, 16, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by talfred View Post
If you are renting a car the hotel does not have any special in-house guest rates so you need to pay the regular prices or use their $50 daily valet (allows multiple entry)
You may be able to save a few $$$ with www.bookabay.com.au - self park, generally with one entry and one exit - and any savings really depend upon time of day/day of week (also useful at Melbourne Park Hyatt).
Old Aug 28, 16, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Velocity Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I stayed as a diamond member for two nights last week (22-24 Aug).
I was upgraded to an executive room on the 32nd floor - great view.
As mentioned by others, DMD members can opt for the full buffet breakfast at the restaurant for $20.

Breakfast was really good with a good amount of gluten free options, juice bar, as well as the usual omelette station, etc.
Lounge food in the evening was ok, with only main (a curry) plus some small appetizers. The desert bar is pretty good though.

The lifts are a bit slow during peak hour (it can take 10mins to get downstairs), as there are only 6 lifts and there are 33 floors.
Old Dec 11, 16, 9:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
The grand suite confirmation email says this room includes club access as well as complementary continental breakfast. Does anyone know if the breakfast is only in the lounge or can it be room service?
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by tomcat007 View Post
The grand suite confirmation email says this room includes club access as well as complementary continental breakfast. Does anyone know if the breakfast is only in the lounge or can it be room service?
Club lounge only.There were hot egg dishes every morning by request and the egg dish of the day rotated daily
There is a buy up for dining in the restaurant approx 20 AU.No room service without paying
I'm not sure the difference is worth it unless you want a better variety eggs and ham
My last stay a few months ago in the club for breakfast was simply superb beating the Park Hyatt Melbourne in every way
Happy Holidays and enjoy your stay
Cheers
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thanks for the quick response
Old Dec 11, 16, 11:25 pm

The Grand Club manager, Craig is awesome. He will take good care of you.
Old Dec 12, 16, 1:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
My last stay a few months ago in the club for breakfast was simply superb beating the Park Hyatt Melbourne in every way

Cheers
I have no idea how you can make this claim when the GH has a $22 up charge for breakfast in Collins Kitchen and the PH offers it every day in Radii except Sunday.

Last edited by m0hamed; Dec 12, 16 at 1:40 am
Old Jan 8, 17, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT PPE, Hilton ♢, Hyatt Disc, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Just completed a week stay here. Thought I'd chime in:

The positives:

1- Locale is excellent. Much better than the Westin which is 1 block away. Basically you are close to everything but unlike the Westin don't have throngs of tourists outside the door. That one block is key.

2- I used my DSU for a Suite and it was fantastic! Amazing views from 3 sides in the super large suite from the 30th floor. An absolutely great use of a DSU. I could've stayed in that room another week quite easily. It's huge and has a super comfy bed and couches. Much better suites here than the Park Hyatt nearby.

3- Room service food was quite good! I usually am not a fan - but was happily surprised.

4- Service is excellent all around.

5- The gym is fantastic. One of the best gyms I've used anywhere - and certainly the best in Melbourne.

The negatives:

1- The club lounge food leaves a lot to be desired. It is worse than the Park Hyatt - and really was such that I didn't bother with it after the first evening. I did enjoy the free pour wines and the desserts on offer however. Those two things make up for the mostly fried & generally poor food.

2- The club lounge breakfast is subpar. I only learned on the 6th day that they will make hard boiled eggs for you if you ask. Otherwise it's usually poached or ridiculously runny scrambled eggs. Had I known they would do hard boiled I would've ate there more often as opposed to skipping it altogether.

3- The $20 upcharge for breakfast buffet is absurd. Don't charge Diamonds that fee. Annoying. The Park Hyatt breakfast is MUCH better and is free.

4- The pool is subpar.

Overall - loved my stay and would recommend the Grand Hyatt. If they could do a better job with the lounge food - the GH would be an easy pick over the PH. As it is now - if price for PH was decently less and lounge was important to me (as it sometimes is) I'd stay PH. But if I had DSUs - there is no contest - the GH is a winner.
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:05 am

extremly rude lounge manager Dianca

We just completed a stay at the hotel this week. As a Diamond we were upgraded to the suite which was good size . The hotel location and the $20 upgraded buffet wer all ok. The lounge was very average in its offerings.

Our worst experience was an episode with the lounge manager after checkout. As we had a late flight we were told multiple times by the hotel reception that we can use the facitilties till evening after we check out. We were also given an extended room key card access for hotel facilities access so we planned around it. But when we went to the lounge in the evening, Dianca, the club duty manager, came up to us and told us that we could not use the lounge and basically to get out in an extremely rude manner, her reason being thatís they are busy that night and could not accommodate us. This was inspite tables being visibly free at that point. We then were told we can pay to use the lounge which meant the busy reason was just an execuse and they didnít want to extend the complimentary usage. We just left in utter disgust and embarrassment at the end of it. We didnít care much abt the average lounge to begin with and could have easily avoided it if they hadnít offered in the first place. This whole embarrassment of it was the one thing that spoiled it all for us. 8 year as a diamond and I had never had such a problem.

I have lodged an official complaint and I hope the GM ( Bryan) does something about the rudeness of his staff and educates this one in particular on the hospitality industry. The other staff we interacted during the stay were all fine.
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:36 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
What time was your flight?
Old Nov 6, 17, 7:14 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chanpreet View Post
We just completed a stay at the hotel this week. As a Diamond we were upgraded to the suite which was good size . The hotel location and the $20 upgraded buffet wer all ok. The lounge was very average in its offerings.

Our worst experience was an episode with the lounge manager after checkout. As we had a late flight we were told multiple times by the hotel reception that we can use the facitilties till evening after we check out. We were also given an extended room key card access for hotel facilities access so we planned around it. But when we went to the lounge in the evening, Dianca, the club duty manager, came up to us and told us that we could not use the lounge and basically to get out in an extremely rude manner, her reason being thatís they are busy that night and could not accommodate us. This was inspite tables being visibly free at that point. We then were told we can pay to use the lounge which meant the busy reason was just an execuse and they didnít want to extend the complimentary usage. We just left in utter disgust and embarrassment at the end of it. We didnít care much abt the average lounge to begin with and could have easily avoided it if they hadnít offered in the first place. This whole embarrassment of it was the one thing that spoiled it all for us. 8 year as a diamond and I had never had such a problem.

I have lodged an official complaint and I hope the GM ( Bryan) does something about the rudeness of his staff and educates this one in particular on the hospitality industry. The other staff we interacted during the stay were all fine.
Sounds like a few Lounge Dragons I've encountered before. I would have told her I'd never pay to use her lounge after that way she just spoke to me.
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by chanpreet View Post

Our worst experience was an episode with the lounge manager after checkout. As we had a late flight we were told multiple times by the hotel reception that we can use the facitilties till evening after we check out. We were also given an extended room key card access for hotel facilities access so we planned around it. But when we went to the lounge in the evening, Dianca, the club duty manager, came up to us and told us that we could not use the lounge and basically to get out in an extremely rude manner, her reason being that’s they are busy that night and could not accommodate us. This was inspite tables being visibly free at that point. We then were told we can pay to use the lounge which meant the busy reason was just an execuse and they didn’t want to extend the complimentary usage. We just left in utter disgust and embarrassment at the end of it. We didn’t care much abt the average lounge to begin with and could have easily avoided it if they hadn’t offered in the first place. This whole embarrassment of it was the one thing that spoiled it all for us. 8 year as a diamond and I had never had such a problem.
There are a handful of customer-facing staff (including managers) at the PH Melbourne who seem to think it is completely acceptable to be surly or rude to guests. Unfortunately their conduct casts a shadow over the great customer service provided by many of their colleagues.

I encountered a few front desk managers during my last stay who should not be employed by a luxury hotel given their attitude (including saying inappropriate things about me in an e-mail, which one of them inadvertently forwarded to me). While the hotel manager is a very nice gentleman and appeared to mean well, he did not give me the impression that he was overly concerned about how I felt as a customer. I had to escalate the issue further to the GM in order to get a response from Hyatt that indicated they were actually concerned about what had transpired.

Search this Thread