Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Truthfully, HR Maui is dated.
Rooms/hallways aren't fabulous. Suites are good though.
I am not a 'pool person' so never use the HR pool. IF I was going to the pool it would be the Residence club pool .
Staff really should police the poaching of pool chairs, but they don't.
Love the scenery up and down the coast from HR.
Parking and resort fees are free at HR for us.

The andaz pool(s) are much better.
Always plenty of chairs.
Suites there are good too.
Breakfast at Andaz is really good.
What sets the two properties apart is the staff.

But there is a younger demographic at the Andaz - plus and minus IMO
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The only reason we stay at HR is due to the price (approx $140/nt all-in on the timeshare sales pitch) - if I was using cash or points I'm almost certain I'd pick the Andaz, for the reasons listed. Although we've always been treated well by HR staff our interaction is normally pretty limited so I can't see how this would trump other factors. Proximity to overpriced restaurants in Lahaina is not a plus in my book. Of course one could say the same about Wailea, but Kihei offers a wealth of reasonably priced options. Unfortunately the pool scene has deteriorated significantly at HR, so if your primary objective is to enjoy the beach and pool it seems like Andaz is an easy winner. Makena and Kihei state beaches are also better than anything you'll find near Kapalua/Lahaina.

Would be curious to hear about the Andaz clientele as we found the guests at HR to be a huge minus.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The only reason we stay at HR is due to the price (approx $140/nt all-in on the timeshare sales pitch) - if I was using cash or points I'm almost certain I'd pick the Andaz, for the reasons listed. Although we've always been treated well by HR staff our interaction is normally pretty limited so I can't see how this would trump other factors. Proximity to overpriced restaurants in Lahaina is not a plus in my book. Of course one could say the same about Wailea, but Kihei offers a wealth of reasonably priced options. Unfortunately the pool scene has deteriorated significantly at HR, so if your primary objective is to enjoy the beach and pool it seems like Andaz is an easy winner. Makena and Kihei state beaches are also better than anything you'll find near Kapalua/Lahaina.

Would be curious to hear about the Andaz clientele as we found the guests at HR to be a huge minus.
What has changed at the HR pool that you say it's deteriorated? Also, when we stay there we frequent the Regency Club and have a lot of interaction with the great staff.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
What has changed at the HR pool that you say it's deteriorated? Also, when we stay there we frequent the Regency Club and have a lot of interaction with the great staff.
Yeah, I love the pool complex and the bar behind the waterfall.

Unfortunately, due to erosion, there is not much beach there. But it's still usable (I just lie on the beach anyway... having an extra 100 feet of sand is not really useful to me). As long as I have space to put down my towel and lie down I'm happy.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 18, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Of course one could say the same about Wailea, but Kihei offers a wealth of reasonably priced options.

Lahaina has a number of the same cheap and local and plate lunch type places that Kihei has (and Wailea one or two)... but don't limit it to Lahaina as there's many in Honokawai, Kahana and Nipili. Joey's Kitchen in Niplili Plaza (not the one in Kaanapali I heard they opened) is off the charts good, some of the best food in the West Side (especially for the price).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Lahaina has a number of the same cheap and local and plate lunch type places that Kihei has (and Wailea one or two)... but don't limit it to Lahaina as there's many in Honokawai, Kahana and Nipili. Joey's Kitchen in Niplili Plaza (not the one in Kaanapali I heard they opened) is off the charts good, some of the best food in the West Side (especially for the price).
we ate at joeys kitchen, the food was delicious and portions were huge
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:26 pm

the cash rate was $560/night the past 3 nights, the beachfront suite we were upgraded to was $1070/night.

i prefer not to sit through the timeshare pitches, and the management as well as the staff at the regency club lounge has been very attentive and friendly. After reading the reviews on Andaz Maui and how they play games to block points bookings, I’d much rather stay at a hotel that doesn’t discriminate.

the beach was not crowded and the clientele is something I’d basically expect in Maui: retired and old
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by BaconSF

we ate at joeys kitchen, the food was delicious and portions were huge

Joey's - given the price (I like to keep my overpriced expensive dining to the many business meetings I do) - is IMO the best choice on all of Maui. Well, it was last I was there two years ago (it was closed - be careful they now close between lunch and dinner - when I was there a few months ago).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got back from another great stay at the HR Maui. No palace suite this time

I had an interesting discussion with Jeff about the crazy upgrades. Apparently, they have some way to stack-rank guests and if the palace or presidential suites are available when they are blocking off rooms, they will upgrade the highest-ranked guest whose stay fits into whatever gap they have.

I didn't press for details about how the stack ranking works, but I assume it's some mix of Hyatt loyalty and loyalty to the HR Maui in particular. I am guessing that rate paid is not a factor, since the time I got the palace suite, I was on my cheapest rate ever, combined with a 30% off promo.

Definitely a nice policy compared the places that just try to upsell all the time, and will happily leave the suites empty if no one bites (and it helps make up for the fact that standard suites are rarely available at check-in, due to the fact that the hotel is constantly at 90-100% occupancy)

This continues to be one of my favorite properties in the world. The service really is a cut above.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:23 pm

As a Discoverist, I am planning a return here for January. For a prior visit, I had booked a partial,ocean view with club access room on points. I received a room in the atrium building that was on the side and gave us just a small sliver of ocean view between our building and a neighboring building.

if I booked a partial ocean view but requested the Lahaina building, would I stand a better chance of a better partial ocean view ? Is one building better than another for this?

Thanks!

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Middle tower for best views.
bbbb and travelpye like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Middle tower for best views.
Thank you for the reply. I assume by middle tower, you mean the atrium, which is located between Lahaina tower and Napili.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
That's correct, Atrium is the middle tower.

I have found this property to be very generous and helpful when it comes to requesting particular room types (regardless of the room type booked). If the view of the ocean is most important to you, I would mention that during check in, and I'm sure they will do their best to find the best available room for you.
travelpye likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Personally, I really liked the suite that overlooks the Luau - we got to watch it for free every night!
travelpye and ulical like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by jameswes
Personally, I really liked the suite that overlooks the Luau - we got to watch it for free every night!
We had the lowest level suite and the connecting room there one Christmas and thought we would hate it. Normally we're either in the Atrium high floor or (rarely) in a Regency suite on the other side. But ended up really liking it. Could open balcony doors on the North and West side for a great cross breeze and close enough to watch the entire show from close in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.