Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Spire Ambassador, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Who to contact about special 50th wedding anniversary for parents.

Hello, I have booked several rooms for my family to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Who should I contact about making sure the 3 rooms are close by and to make sure my parents get "special" treatment when they check in? I am only a discoverist now, and we booked on points but have several reservation numbers as we have 3 rooms. Should I just call the hotel about making sure that our rooms are close by and linked or is there a special number to call or email to see that they have a special "gift" for them in their room. We are going in July in about a month.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lawest74
Hello, I have booked several rooms for my family to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Who should I contact about making sure the 3 rooms are close by and to make sure my parents get "special" treatment when they check in? I am only a discoverist now, and we booked on points but have several reservation numbers as we have 3 rooms. Should I just call the hotel about making sure that our rooms are close by and linked or is there a special number to call or email to see that they have a special "gift" for them in their room. We are going in July in about a month.
[email protected]
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:20 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Staying at this hotel now. Globalist with relatively few nights YTD (though almost all are at PH properties if that matters). We used suite upgrades. A few observations:

1) Our original room was an x80 in the Lahaina Tower, which is marketed as an "oceanview suite." I suppose that's true, insofar as there is a small balcony in the bedroom of the suite that has an ocean view (and as others have mentioned nightly Luau noise from ~5-9pm). The balcony that has room for chairs (barely) overlooks a roof full of solar panels, a parking lot, and a couple of dumpsters. IMO, this is hardly "ocean view" and I think the property knows this. A few front desk folks mentioned that when they assign those rooms they then wait for the guests to call and complain.

2) We declined the "upgrade" to a parking lot view because we'd rather have a regular room without the dumpster view. Wound up in 379, which while a low floor is incredibly spacious. Not sure if that carries on for higher floors - when we look up all of the balconies look significantly smaller. If I were to return to this hotel, I'd specifically request this room - from two of the three balconies we can largely avoid the luau noise and the room is big enough to have friends/family over for the evening.

3) The all day happy hour at Umalu is useful for the drinks, but not for the food. Happy hour food is a half portion of the standard order at half price. That's fine, but you can order a half portion of almost anything on the menu at any time for half price.

4) There are limited chairs at the pool area. $&*#(&% jerks like to grab towels between 7am when the towel dispensary opens and 7:30am. By 7:45 there are no chairs to be had, even though nearly all are empty. The hotel is onto this scam so they'll put out notices around 7:30am that chairs that are empty for an hour will have towels removed. Around 8:30am most chairs open up again. The one hour policy does not appear to be enforced any other time of day. From what we've seen the pool turns over around 12-1230 and again around 3-330.

5) The lounge is pretty basic - not nearly as nice as in prior years - but the orange topped water bottles can be a boon here. We took turns taking both up and refilling them (plus a plastic cup) with whatever soft drinks we wanted. Saved us ~$4 for each drink.

6) The availability of activities / pools at the time share next door was not clear to us. That said, F&B is a bit cheaper at the time share. (especially if you want your drink in a pineapple - it's $18+ drink at hotel, $12+ drink at time share; beer also cheaper)h

In general the staff here is friendly and about providing a nice experience. It's not perfect, but we like it enough we'd return without question.
Pludester likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL

5) The lounge is pretty basic - not nearly as nice as in prior years - but the orange topped water bottles can be a boon here. We took turns taking both up and refilling them (plus a plastic cup) with whatever soft drinks we wanted. Saved us ~$4 for each drink.

I can't understand how the new Regency Club is not nearly as nice as the old one and can be considered "pretty basic".. First, the new one has greatly expanded seating, including a large outdoor patio with tables, chairs and umbrellas. From there there's a nice view of the ocean, which the old one didn't have. The food offerings in the evening can easily constitute a meal, and the same items are served as were served at the old one. There just isn't any comparison -in my opinion- between the old and the new Club and I don't believe many guests would call it "pretty basic". I can't speak to the morning service as we don't have breakfast there.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
We’ve been coming here for four years and the lounge has always been in the same spot. Perhaps there was another location you’re referring to from >4 years ago.

vs prior experiences here, the food offerings are fairly basic as compared to prior trips. They’re not bad at all, just not as nice as they were.

The evening offerings don’t constitute a meal or even near-meal. Generally one hot option that’s an appetizer. It’s not bad, just on the basic side vs. previous food offerings which were much more like what you describe.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
We’ve been coming here for four years and the lounge has always been in the same spot. Perhaps there was another location you’re referring to from >4 years ago.

vs prior experiences here, the food offerings are fairly basic as compared to prior trips. They’re not bad at all, just not as nice as they were.

The evening offerings don’t constitute a meal or even near-meal. Generally one hot option that’s an appetizer. It’s not bad, just on the basic side vs. previous food offerings which were much more like what you describe.
The new lounge you speak of has been opened 2 years. The old lounge was on the 22 floor of the Atrium tower.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

Are you sure we're talking about the same hotel? The new Regency Club opened in Fall of 2016 so it hasn't been there for 4 years- not even 2. We've been staying here twice a year for about 5 years now. The evening hot "appetizer" has always remained the same as follows:
Sat - Chicken Skerwers
Sun- Coconut Shrimp
Mon- Pork
Tues- Tacos
Wed- beef skewers
Thurs- ground chicken and lettuce wrap
Fri- pasta

We eat a little larger lunch at Umalu and don't need a huge dinner so a few of the appetizers, a salad they offer plus some cheeses is more than enough for us. Many other people do the same. Of course, if your seeking a complete dinner then this isn't the place for you and the Club makes no pretensions of offering anything but appetizers/lite dinner. Only thing I can think of is that you were at a Hyatt on a different island. I know the HR Kauai does seem to have a somewhat more elaborate evening service.
Maui4me1 and IntlSalesGuy like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Are you sure we're talking about the same hotel? The new Regency Club opened in Fall of 2016 so it hasn't been there for 4 years- not even 2.
youre right, I went back and looked at our old confirmations and we were at a different hotel for our stays on Maui at the beginning of that period, and we would have probably been in the first week of the current lounge location on our 2016 stay.

The menu you describe is not in line with what we had on our previous stay -perhaps because they were doing a heavier menu when the menu club opened. Our difference of opinion here may also be because we tend to factor in breakfast offerings and the availability of items throughout the day vs only the appetizers offered in the evening. It’s a fine, basic spread but it’s not “dinner” by any means. There’s also almost nothing available during the day other than soda or coffee. It appeared that there was some fruit, but it wasn’t regularly restocked and the bowls were often empty during the day. The offering is fine but it’s nothing special and a bit basic overall IMO.

we are also at the GH Kauai on this trip and their evening spread has changed to mimic the HR Maui. Not a huge deal because we tend to aim for a more formal seafood dinner and have a lighter, grazing lunch.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:13 pm

Post-check out follow up on this property. Be sure to review your folio. In our case there were two errors:
1) A parking charge of $22/day appeared on our folio. We stayed on points so this should have been waived (and the hotel was quite conscientious about reminding us to valet since it was no charge regardless of how we parked).
2) We declined service in favor of the $10/day F&B credit. Only one day appeared on our folio as a credit.

Resolution was easy and took less than 5 minutes. Just a reminder to double check your folios to ensure you're not charged where you shouldn't be and that all credits are applied correctly.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:49 am
Suspended

Has anyone stayed at this property as well as the Andaz? I'm sure the Andaz is nicer but I'm thinking about 5 or 6 nights in Maui. Andaz will set me back 25k points per night while I can get the HR Maui for 10k + $125 which obviously is a much better deal. I'm thinking we will likely be out exploring Maui quite a bit so it's not likely we will spend the entire time at the hotel.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Has anyone stayed at this property as well as the Andaz? I'm sure the Andaz is nicer but I'm thinking about 5 or 6 nights in Maui. Andaz will set me back 25k points per night while I can get the HR Maui for 10k + $125 which obviously is a much better deal. I'm thinking we will likely be out exploring Maui quite a bit so it's not likely we will spend the entire time at the hotel.
HR Maui is a perfectly acceptable crash pad. I don't always like atrium style but the property outside is gorgeous like the rest of Maui!
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:24 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
This is a very fine property, particularly if you'll be out and about much of the time. We stayed here last month on the P+C rate and thought it was a great deal.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I've stayed at both like a dozen times each, although with the many changes to HR over the years and my changing (of some) preferences I now only will stay at Andaz (if I need to stay "West" as Kaanapli/Lahaina/Kappalua is called I use VRBO/condos).

To answer your question I say it depends on your preferences.

For one who is going to drive a lot to explore, Kihei base is much better than West due to traffic and distance... although if one's exploring is Hana and/or sunrise on Haleakela then one must do this drive so early (pre-7a) that traffic isn't really a consideration (but distance might be)... yes, do not do either of these explorations without going very early!

For reefs and beaches, while I prefer South, for a 5-6 day trip West has sufficient number of amazing options to keep you busy.

Lahaina is a nice town (I like it better than Kihei... but then neither are so amazing and I don't really care about the town).

South tends to have better/drier/sunnier weather, but it's really not that different (depends on the month).

Property-wise, the HR just has implemented too many nickel and dime charges that bum me out. Andaz has Kihei parking option which is free, but HR has no free parking anymore... items like that bum me out (even if resort fees are waived for Diamond at either). But, HR is a nice property for some, same for Andaz (both for those that like to stay on property all day, say enjoy a pool, etc.).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I'd echo the statement about your own preferences answering your own question. Neither are perfect dream hotels. Self-park on Kaanapali (HR) is awful, but not even an option at Kihei (Andaz). I'm just not a fan of random free street parking in Kihei.

Walk-out swim-around reef at state park very near Andaz. Very long swim-over reef at state park north of Black Rock at north end of Kaanapali beach. More of and more interesting moderate local dining in Kihei, but some not that far from Kaanapali.

They are also decidedly different experiences on different parts of the island. If first trip, I would consider splitting the stay just to draw your own conclusions.
Maui4me1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by jayer
I'd echo the statement about your own preferences answering your own question. Neither are perfect dream hotels. Self-park on Kaanapali (HR) is awful, but not even an option at Kihei (Andaz). I'm just not a fan of random free street parking in Kihei.
It's not random free street parking (using Khei Option), I've done it once or twice per year for like five years. It's normal street parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.