Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:34 am

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott-LT Titan; Hilton-Gold
I would have to pick Kauai, but as pointed out, your island preference will really help drive your choice. Kauai is more quiet, relaxed, lush and natural. While Maui has more activity and is more "built up". I really think though that if you put the 2 facilities side by side anywhere in the world, the Kauai property just has more going for it. By the way the RC there is also fantastic- don't make dinner plans as you get a full meal there w/great wine/beer/drinks included gratis- similar to Maui but maybe a slight notch higher).
Old Jan 5, 2004, 10:07 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:
I have stayed at both properties several times. Basically, it comes down to which island you like better. Both properties are great. (Some people may even prefer Waikiki.)

This is an ongoing debate on this forum. I personally prefer Maui to Kauai for the following primary reasons.

1) The weather is more reliable on Maui, especially in the Winter.

2) More activities on Maui for children and adults. I specifically started to prefer Maui years ago due to the superior SCUBA diving options.

3) More whale watching options in the Winter.

4) Proximity of other islands (Lanai, Molokai, Molokini) for day excursions by boat.

5) Better restaurants and shopping on Maui for children and adults.

6) Personally, I have been treated better as a Diamond in Maui than Kauai.

Again, there seems to be no consensus of opinion on this issue, and I'm sure others will explain why they prefer Kauai.
</font>

I am totally in agreement with you. I, too, was treated better as a Diamond at Maui than at Kauai, and it appears that Maui is more varied and you can find more nightlife if you want, or quiet secluded areas, as well.

The Kauai Hyatt is much more beautiful and the rooms are larger and nicer, as are the grounds, BUT ... the beach is nicer at Maui, and the Kanapali area is not that built up to rival that of HNL. Moreover, the views of Molokai and Lanai from your balcony are much nicer than those of just the ocean from Kauai.

The Maui property kind of just got better with the passage of time, and a mini-Macy's department store in it was nice, as well.

The two properties are very different and really can't be compared very well, and the same is true for the HNL hotel.

But it just appeared to me that Maui, itself, is so much more diverse than Kauai, that after one long stay at Kauai, you probably have had an opportunity to see and explore the entire island -- and Wiamea canyon is truly incredible -- but that Maui holds many more things that require exploration, and you can do many more activities, there, as well.

So, although the Hyatt Kauai is a physically more attractive property, and the rooms at 600 sq. feet are very large, and the grounds are quite beautiful, the attractions of Maui trump those on Kauai, as Diva had said above.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 8:36 pm

We have stayed at both the Maui and Kauai properties and really love them both. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I don't know that I could pick a favorite. I did want to respond to the post that said: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Live4Miles:
Have you stayed at both Kauai and Maui...If so can you provide any help on choosing between the two...I am platinum and have kids 12 and 10...I am intriged by the "water park type setting that I have heard of at the Kauai".
Anyones thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

The Hyatt Kauai pool is not like a water park. It is a very lush and beautiful pool with waterfalls and a waterslide, but the Maui pool has those features also. I just wanted to let you know so you could look into that further. The only pool that I know of that is like a waterpark is the Grand Wailea on Maui. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Regency Club Maui for Diamonds ?

I am taking my daughter and grandson to Maui using 5 FFN and am hoping we will get access to RC. We have at many other resorts, but in newest Diamond card pack it says no RC access in resorts worldwide. Has any one had RC floor or access recently with Diamond status on award stay? Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2004, 4:47 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
There is a lot of discussion on this in the archives. The simple answer is probably not, but maybe. It depends on how busy they are.

You will get breakfast coupons for Swan Court buffet which is very good. It is a very good continental buffet which can be upgraded to hot buffet for about $7. It is on par with Sunday brunch buffets at 5 star resorts.

On my last trip in December, I received RC access AND the Swan Court breakfast coupons for 10 FFN nights, but I am a regular guest there.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Maui Hyatt

Bound for Hawaii in a few days on FFN. Between being Diamond and 35 nights this year, I at least hope to get on the RC floor. Have been to the hotel before, but only briefly and without Hyatt status. What is the club like, what has the recent menu been, and are beverages comp or charge?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
We were just there in March and enjoyed the free beverages each evening for 5 nights in the Regency Room. The hot food was so good one evening that we canceled our dinner reservations. Other nights it was just average. While we were there I talked to another diamond who was refused regency floor and room because they said it was too full. I did not see it ever too full and we had 2 children with us so I sue hope we get Regency floor again when we go back on FFN.

Last edited by Simba; Apr 13, 2004 at 11:24 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 14, 2004, 1:07 pm

You may only get RC access, but even then only if it the RC floors are not sold out.

If you don't get RC or access, they will give you breakfast coupons for an exceptional buffet at Swan Court. Breakfast is served until just before lunch time, and the buffet rivals some of the best brunch buffets I have seen. You can upgrade to a full "hot" buffet for a nominal charge.

If you are more interested in the food than some free drinks, these breakfast coupons are a better deal. I think if they offer me only RC in the future, I would ask for the coupons instead. You can eat a "brunch" every day, and then enjoy the great restaurants for dinner. The RC is a poor substitute for dinner.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Lightbulb Which suite at the Maui Hyatt?

I'm planning to return to the Maui Hyatt this summer and would like to stay in a suite. I have two questions: what is the "lowest" deluxe rate eligible for a GP upgrade and what suite do they offer you when you upgrade with points?

Rates for the week I'm looking at vary from $555/night/deluxe ocean view to $405/night/Regency Club deluxe ocean view for a AAA rate. A partial ocean view is $465/night while a partial ocean view at the AAA rate is $347/night. Does the GP award requre "deluxe" in the descriptor or is anything with "ocean" ok? And are the AAA rates eligible for upgrades?

The website also offers floorplans of 3 of their 4 types of suites: a 554 sq. ft Ocean Suite, a 908 sq. ft Deluxe Ocean Suite, and a 2,307 sq. ft. Presidential Suite. The site describes a Palace Suite "set aside in its own area of the property" with 3 bedrooms but no floorplan or square footage is offered.

I guess I'd be aiming for the Deluxe Ocean Suite since the Ocean Suite isn't too much different from their standard room. (Although you'll get no complaints from me if they put me in the Presidential or Palace Suites .)
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:45 am

Weatherboy

Nice review of the Ocean Suites. Because they weren't in the Atrium tower, did you find it a hassle to get over to the Regency Club? (During my last stay, I had a room one floow away from the RC and it was tricky getting an elevator handy just for the trip down/up. ) And how did you "pay" for your suite stay --discount, rack rate, or GP upgrade?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Not too much hassle

I personally did not find it to be a hassle, although yes, it can get kind of tricky carrying lattes on the elevator down and over to the far end of the hotel. It was not a huge deal to me though. YMMV.

We were on an award stay.

Last edited by thesilb; Apr 20, 2004 at 10:02 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:48 am

It was unclear to me from fro thesilb's posting whether he/she differentiates between the ocean suites and the deluxe ocean suites. I know there are deluxe suites in the Lahaina tower, and they are substantuially larger and better furnished than the standard ocean suites.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Only Ocean Suites

My comments in the linked thread relate only to the smaller Ocean Suites. I have not been privy to stay in the larger suites.

I'm a "he", btw.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:53 am

Post Suites @ Maui

Well, I chatted with a few different GP agents (Diamond desk & Suite Desk) and got my answers:

The current base rate for the Ocean Suite is $850/night while the Deluxe Ocean Suite is $1,250/night.

Dot.com rates and AAA rates, even though for "deluxe ocean view" rooms, cannot be upgraded with GP points to a suite.

Upgrades are given from Deluxe Ocean View rooms in the Atrium Tower to the Napili Tower. Deluxe Ocean Suites aren't available for a direct upgrade, although the hotel can use its discretion to upgrade you to the Deluxe Ocean Suite. (I'll keep my Diamond fingers crossed.)

The other thing I learned is that some suites are equipped with high-speed access; they include room numbers in the Napili Tower of 233, 234, 333, 334, 433, 434 533, 534, 633, 634, 733, 734, 833, 834.
Old May 15, 2004, 7:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Maui Has Capacity Controls

At this hotel suite upgrades are hard to come by, as is Regency Club floor. Maui has some sort of fire code controls on the number of patrons they will allow Club access to at any time, at least that is the stated reason. On weekends especially you may not get either unless you have paid going price for a suite or a room on the club floor. (They just sell out). Have had upgrade declined for capacity reasons even when I had a certificate. (Then again, both times I was there the place seemed quite full). Please don't let the vacation be ruined if the upgrade does not happen; after all its Kaanapali. The priority is avoiding the back side of the hotel with no ocean view and wind off the mountains.

Last edited by jayer; May 15, 2004 at 1:12 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.