Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GH Kauai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 1999-mid-2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GH Kauai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - 1999-mid-2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yes. Kauai treats diamonds very well.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by gambler01
Aloha! I'm a new diamond member and staying for 4 nights next month on promotional awards. Should we expect to get upgraded from the Mountain room to an ocean front room as well as Club room access? Thanks.
Make sure you say hi to Josh before you go.....well worth your time.^
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:39 am

Thanks for the quick replies! I introduced myself to Josh on Facebook and waiting for a response from him via email direct. Really looking forward to this trip!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:52 am

Aug 8-13 GH Kauai report

Just checked out of GH Kauai today. Stayed on the LTO rate offer. No GP status, but was still upgraded from Garden View to Partial Oceanview. That makes a big difference and was much appreciated!

Dinner at Tidepools was exceptional and a good value. Very good service, including really good descriptions and recommendations on menu items. The molten chocolate dessert is a must. I would defnitely return to Tidepools!

The tennis courts are v nice, and court availability was fine even though the hotel was quite full.

The gym is very nice, the equipment is high quality (mostly Lifefitness) and the chilled towels are a nice amenity.

Sushi night at Stevensons Library was disappointing. Maybe I'm spoiled by a lot of sushi experience in Vancouver, but the quality was only adequate and the prices were off the charts. The server was flustered and not efficient. For example chopsticks arrived after the food, drink service was slow, and the requested water arrived after most of the food was gone. Would defnitely NOT do that again...

Housekeeping service started out good but quality control waned as the week went on.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Duckman
Just checked out of GH Kauai today. Stayed on the LTO rate offer. No GP status, but was still upgraded from Garden View to Partial Oceanview. That makes a big difference and was much appreciated!

Dinner at Tidepools was exceptional and a good value. Very good service, including really good descriptions and recommendations on menu items. The molten chocolate dessert is a must. I would defnitely return to Tidepools!

The tennis courts are v nice, and court availability was fine even though the hotel was quite full.
Is there a charge for the tennis courts? And do they have rental racquets/balls available?

Originally Posted by Duckman
The gym is very nice, the equipment is high quality (mostly Lifefitness) and the chilled towels are a nice amenity.

Sushi night at Stevensons Library was disappointing. Maybe I'm spoiled by a lot of sushi experience in Vancouver, but the quality was only adequate and the prices were off the charts. The server was flustered and not efficient. For example chopsticks arrived after the food, drink service was slow, and the requested water arrived after most of the food was gone. Would defnitely NOT do that again...

Housekeeping service started out good but quality control waned as the week went on.
Thanks for the heads up on the sushi night...my wife and I love sushi, and probably would have tried it out...anyone know a good place on Kauai to get sushi?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks for the heads up on the sushi night...my wife and I love sushi, and probably would have tried it out...anyone know a good place on Kauai to get sushi?
The only place I've heard rave reviews about the sushi is Bouchon's in Hanalei. But only the sushi, and service can be horrible. If you consider poke to be "sushi", then I could write volumes.

Stevenson's Lounge looks so promising, but the F&B menu is so uninspired.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I have been. It was OK. Food was good, the entertainment adequate. The food is inside the ballroom, which opens on to a grassy outside courtyard where you eat. You have a choice of unlimited mai tais or piña coladas.

I have not been, but the Smith Family Luau is the place with the best reputation and that's the one I would try if and when I ever go to another luau (probably when we have visitors that would want to go). It is also more difficult to get reservations for this one (probably depends on the time of the year, but I would book in advance). I think everyone should go to a luau once.

http://www.smithskauai.com/luau.html
I can't speak to the GH luau, but we really enjoyed the Smith Family Luau.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:09 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Is there a charge for the tennis courts? And do they have rental racquets/balls available?
Don't know about racquets/balls, but one hour of tennis court use (per day?) is included in the $25/day resort fee, so you're certainly doing a better job of getting your money's worth from the resort fee if you actualy use the tennis courts!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Beckles
Don't know about racquets/balls, but one hour of tennis court use (per day?) is included in the $25/day resort fee, so you're certainly doing a better job of getting your money's worth from the resort fee if you actualy use the tennis courts!
Yes, one hour is free per day and you can reserve the time you'd like to play well in advance or can just go out there and there are usually courts that are available. Practice balls are free but you'll have to buy/bring your own if you prefer to play with new balls. I am not sure about the racquets but I believe that there is a small charge to use theirs. You also get a cooler with water, few plastic cups, and towels for your session so the experience is quite nice. Definitely worth checking out if you are into tennis.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DealDetective
I can't speak to the GH luau, but we really enjoyed the Smith Family Luau.
You can watch parts of the GH luau for free as you walk back to your room if you are on the spa side of the hotel (and it isn't raining, so they don't move it indoors).
Old Aug 19, 2011, 2:31 pm

Suite Reward stay - with no elite status

I've been reading through trying to get info, but it seems as though too many of you are Diamonds and a lot of stuff wouldn't apply to me!

I'm looking at booking 4 nts in a suite (the 33K/nt option) next year. However, more than likely I wouldn't have any status (definitly no status when I book) Even though I'm in a Suite does that mean I would get access to lounge, etc (or is that only for elite)? Would I get access if I booked a Club level room? (27K/nt)

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:41 am

More on GH Kauai Tennis

Originally Posted by todorovic
Yes, one hour is free per day and you can reserve the time you'd like to play well in advance or can just go out there and there are usually courts that are available. Practice balls are free but you'll have to buy/bring your own if you prefer to play with new balls. I am not sure about the racquets but I believe that there is a small charge to use theirs. You also get a cooler with water, few plastic cups, and towels for your session so the experience is quite nice. Definitely worth checking out if you are into tennis.
They do have racquets available in the tennis center. We were told its $5 each per day for adult racquets, free for kids racquets. Decent quality Prince racquets.

I agree that the courts are very nice. First court reservation is 8am, when the weather is already quite warm!

Group Tennis clinics are offered daily, but they are targeted to a certain skill level (using a standardized player rating system). It wasn't @ my skill level, so I didn't participate.

There are only 3 courts but there wasn't much demand for them during the 2nd week of August, so I could get a reservation whenever I wanted.

Speaking of value from the resort fee, I was also able to use the gym for free.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:52 am

Stevenson's Library

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Stevenson's Lounge looks so promising, but the F&B menu is so uninspired.
I agree 100%.

Stevenson's Library is a strange place. It strives to be refined & high-end but the bookshelves were apparently stocked at random from garage sales or thrift shops. There were books on topics like urban hip-hop but we saw none by Robert L. Stevenson!

The music was quite loud, not very interesting, and not conducive to conversation. As I mentioned above, the quality and attitude of the table service was nowhere close to adequate for the premium they are charging.
We were rushed to submit food orders before the sushi service ended, but OTOH there were still kids in the bar.

Overall Stevenson's Library=major fail.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Intercontinental, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by nic3456
I'm looking at booking 4 nts in a suite (the 33K/nt option) next year. However, more than likely I wouldn't have any status (definitly no status when I book) Even though I'm in a Suite does that mean I would get access to lounge, etc (or is that only for elite)? Would I get access if I booked a Club level room? (27K/nt)

Thanks!
You would definitely have club access if you book a club room. Note that the Grand Hyatt Kauai does not have a "club floor" like most other Hyatts. The Club Room rate just gest you access to the club, although it will probably mean you will be in the Poipu Wing somewhere in the general vicinity of the club.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by huskergreg
You would definitely have club access if you book a club room. Note that the Grand Hyatt Kauai does not have a "club floor" like most other Hyatts. The Club Room rate just gest you access to the club, although it will probably mean you will be in the Poipu Wing somewhere in the general vicinity of the club.
I am not sure this is what nic3456 is asking. Is a suite considered a "club room"? I actually only stayed in a suite once as a non-Diamond, on a reward reservation in San Diego Mission Bay. I was given club access and I assumed this was the norm if you are in a suite, but I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.