Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Quick trip report from a couple of weekends ago...

Used a DSU to upgrade to a suite. The rooms with two beds (double beds) all share a wall with the elevator shaft. It can get pretty noisy (think freight train) especially in the early morning hours.... not to mention the additional foot traffic and you are right across from the ice machine. The suite area was spacious, but certainly nothing special. No access to the Club as a plat, but we did get free Starbucks coffee every morning in the lobby (one per room, but we were able to redeem using both the main room and the suite room numbers). Staff was friendly and the lobby was pretty nice. The maid charged us for water one day even tho she didn't restock it the day before and we got two free bottles each day as plat. Very convenient (walkable) to most everything we wanted to see. We logged nearly 25 miles in the two full days we were there
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Stayed here this past weekend.

Booked with cash+points and was put into a club king with a view of the harbor. There was evidently some sort of large anime/cosplay convention in town and the property was completely booked, so no upgrade to a suite. No plat/diamond check in line, which was frustrating considering the swarms of people staying at the hotel this weekend. The room itself was fine and large enough. No noise issues unlike what others have described, at least on the side facing the harbor.

Stopped by the club to grab breakfast Sunday morning and found it swarmed (granted the club is fairly small, with seating for maybe 20-25) with convention-goers, most of whom didn't seem to have experience with hotel clubs or waiting in line...
Despite this, lounge staff were fantastic. Spread was pretty good-to-slightly above average, with some of the better smoked salmon I've had at RCs, charcuterie+cheese, very fresh fruit, bacon/eggs, etc.

Location was convenient if a bit touristy (the convention center is right next door and the walkable dining options consist of Hooters/buffalo wild wings etc + some local chains that seem to cater to out-of-towners). Only complaint was that there was a pretty disgusting and pervasive smell of flatulence in our room when we returned after dinner our first evening, despite neither of us having gone to the restroom in the time since we had checked in.

All in all, a perfectly fine stay for a quick weekend trip. Nothing terrible, nothing exceptional.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Just an update of this property as I am staying here this week in 2 rooms. I was upgraded upgraded to a Marina Suite & Deluxe 2 bed Queen with 180 degree views of the Queen Mary, the beach and harbor facing view. As a Globby, the VIP Director, Ms Isabel is flat out amazing. Everything we are entitled to was proactively offered at check-in, plus other amenities not normally offered gratis. Just first class treatment from the front desk check-in staff and management. Was even offered a second suite one floor lower, but we declined as we wanted to be on same level as parents.

Hotel location is perfect for us, but it about 1/2 mile walk to the beach via the boardwalk for those that prefer a beachfront property. It is aging well, and will be going thru a renovation in 2020 from what I read. Outlet Malls and eateries all around, it is an awesome location/ experience 30 minutes away from HR LAX without traffic of course.

Will return for the casual laid back attitude the hotel exudes!

LFC
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:47 pm

Small update after most of a week here. At the hotel, things are pretty normal. Gym and pool open. Regency Club closed. Breakfast amenity is "entre" (breakfast burrito, quesadilla, chia bowl, avocado toast, low and bagel, etc.), coffee and juice, grab 'n' go. I didn't request, but was given an excellent harbor-facing "executive ?" room. Check in was good, just the right amount of information given, and I needed nothing more.

Whoever replies to text messages needs help with some basic hotel knowledge.
beachfan likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Spent a night here this weekend for a wedding nearby on a free night cert as a glob. The nearby Centric didn't show any award availability unfortunately.

I thought it was a nice hotel. Check-in was easy. I had been upgraded prior to check-in from the base king room to a high floor harbor view room. I had checked the app earlier and no suites were available, so I didn't ask about a further upgrade.
I was told that because the lounge was closed, globalist breakfast would be coffee, juice, and an entree from the hotel cafe. While the cafe is not a restaurant, the food options were similar to Starbucks, in that they are prepackaged and reheated in a small convection oven. I thought the food was decent. I would have preferred an egg plate with bacon, but the chicken and waffles I got sufficed.

We made use of the bar and market the night of check-in to watch the Dodgers, and we found the staff there to be very friendly. The pizza at the cafe/market was actually pretty good, made in one of those dome stone ovens.
In the morning we hit the gym, it was decent, with two pelotons and a bunch of cardio machines, and weight machines. One set of dumbbells and a cable machine.

Our room was small, but clean and with a good view of the harbor and the swan boat rentals in the pond in front of the hotel. We could see the pool was busy too.
The bathroom was annoyingly small as my wife and I tried to get ready for the wedding.

Overall, I would definitely stay here if we have to spend time in Long Beach again. Plenty of food, entertainment and views nearby.

Edit: I should mention that breakfast charges, and valet was removed from my folio without any prompting on my part.

Last edited by kevinjm; Oct 18, 2021 at 10:40 am Reason: Added info about folio.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Had a 2 night mid-week stay earlier in the week. Check-in was efficient, and the front desk explained the Globalist benefits, which is breakfast from the Market | Bar with an entree, hot drink, and juice. Was pre-blocked into a junior suite with harbor view.

The room size was about 1.5x the normal hotel rooms, so plenty of room. I thought they did a good job with the renovation, although the mattress could used a bit more support. Full bath amenity was available, and was replenished with housekeeping. 2 bottles of water were in the room, which were replenished by Housekeeping, and more are available via the front desk.

Breakfast was interesting, since they had a different description of "entree, coffee, juice, and pastry". Coffee can be regular coffee or an espresso drink. And for juice, you can get standard orange, cranberry, or one of the bottled Naked Juice smoothies. The difference may explain why there was a residual, small breakfast charge on my folio. Also, the restaurant people always ring up a smoothie, regardless of what you picked. Nonetheless, the front desk removed the breakfast charges after pointing out that it was there.

I had the breakfast pizza first day (pizza with crumbled bacon, asiago cheese, and 2 fried eggs on top), which was pretty good but very rich, and a breakfast bowl the second day. Speaking with a knowledgeable F&B employee, the Regency Club is not coming back in the short term.

Self parking was $33/day, and the front desk gives you a parking pass for in-and-out privilege.

Overall, this was a great stay, and would definitely consider again if I need to be in the area.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: MarriottTitanium, LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire Amb
I used to like this Place with amazing R Club.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:59 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Is the lounge still closed?
​​
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Is the lounge still closed?
​​
Call?

David
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Completed 2 night stay on points, 12K per night. Globalist benefits were good:
- Breakfast at the lobby Market : one drink, one pastry, one entre. Value was about $27 pp traveling with spouse so $54 total removed from bill each day
- valet parking $37/day removed from bill each day
- upgraded to exec harbor view suite on 15th floor, very nice

Only bummer was no Regency Club

Great value overall
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Completed 2 night stay on points, 12K per night. Globalist benefits were good:
- Breakfast at the lobby Market : one drink, one pastry, one entre. Value was about $27 pp traveling with spouse so $54 total removed from bill each day
- valet parking $37/day removed from bill each day
- upgraded to exec harbor view suite on 15th floor, very nice

Only bummer was no Regency Club

Great value overall
Did they give any indication when the RC might reopen?

David
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I did not ask
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Finished a 2 night stay here on points.

Used a TSU for the Regency Suite which aesthetically was nice, but the hard product not the best. The chairs and couch were the most uncomfortable Ive ever been in.

Regency Suite had a small kitchen with sink, fridge, plates, cutlery and a dining table.

Breakfast quality was average, nothing to write home about.

The location is great for The Pike shops, along with the boardwalk restaurants and the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Parking was $33, waived for Globalists on award stays, a big reason cash stays make no sense here.

The main reason we stayed at the HR rather than the HC is the TSU which provided a true suite rather than a Junior suite which is whats provided at the HC.

The other notable difference is the availability of a jacuzzi at the HR whereas the HC only has a pool which we did use and was nice.

Beds were also uncomfortable and the heating/cooling system was horrible very dated.

Overall 7/10 would have to look more into the HC to determine if wed stay there or the HR again when in Long Beach.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Finished a 2 night stay here on points.

Used a TSU for the Regency Suite which aesthetically was nice, but the hard product not the best. The chairs and couch were the most uncomfortable Ive ever been in.

Regency Suite had a small kitchen with sink, fridge, plates, cutlery and a dining table.

Breakfast quality was average, nothing to write home about.

The location is great for The Pike shops, along with the boardwalk restaurants and the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Parking was $33, waived for Globalists on award stays, a big reason cash stays make no sense here.

The main reason we stayed at the HR rather than the HC is the TSU which provided a true suite rather than a Junior suite which is whats provided at the HC.

The other notable difference is the availability of a jacuzzi at the HR whereas the HC only has a pool which we did use and was nice.

Beds were also uncomfortable and the heating/cooling system was horrible very dated.

Overall 7/10 would have to look more into the HC to determine if wed stay there or the HR again when in Long Beach.
Assume that the RC is still closed since you didn't mention it. Any discussion with the house staff as to its status?

David
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Assume that the RC is still closed since you didn't mention it. Any discussion with the house staff as to its status?

David
RC is closed I did ask about it and was told they are not planning to reopen it in 2023, but possibly 2024.

As far as I can tell the only Club Lounge in Southern California currently open is Manchester GH.

Breakfast was served from the market which is basically just a small cafe, about 6-7 entree choices in total.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.