FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Advice for upcoming NYC stay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1318991-advice-upcoming-nyc-stay.html)

suspire Mar 15, 2012 10:35 pm

While we're on this topic, I could use a little advice.

I'm planning a two day stay with my girlfriend and we're going with either the Grand Hyatt or either of the two Andaz properties. I'm planning on using GP points and I don't have status with Hyatt. At 22,000 a night, they all cost the same point-wise.

So any opinions on which would be the best to stay at? We don't particularly care about location/proximity--that won't really factor in. I'm mostly interested in which hotel, on its own merits, would be the best choice.

RichardInSF Mar 17, 2012 3:08 am

The problem with your request is that you'll get as many opinions on which is best as there are active posters on the Hyatt forum. I wouldn't stay at either Andaz if they gave me the room for free. Among many other problems, I can't sleep well at them because they appear not to have true blackout curtains.

I haven't tried 48 Lex. GH has always treated me well, and I like the taste of the renovations I got a while back when I was in a junior suite. But it is a large, impersonal hotel with many annoyance charges (delivering a package to the room, leaving bags with the bellman, etc etc -- all charged extra).

Will be in NYC in early May and will either try 48 Lex or check out the result of the GH renovations -- not both, I prefer not to move hotels during a visit.

I am hoping it won't be too terribly long before the Park Hyatt NY opens!

suspire Mar 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 18217124)
The problem with your request is that you'll get as many opinions on which is best as there are active posters on the Hyatt forum. I wouldn't stay at either Andaz if they gave me the room for free. Among many other problems, I can't sleep well at them because they appear not to have true blackout curtains.

I haven't tried 48 Lex. GH has always treated me well, and I like the taste of the renovations I got a while back when I was in a junior suite. But it is a large, impersonal hotel with many annoyance charges (delivering a package to the room, leaving bags with the bellman, etc etc -- all charged extra).

Will be in NYC in early May and will either try 48 Lex or check out the result of the GH renovations -- not both, I prefer not to move hotels during a visit.

I am hoping it won't be too terribly long before the Park Hyatt NY opens!

I figured that'd be the case, but getting information and opinions is useful (like your issue with the lack of blackout curtains). What are your other main problems with the two Andaz properties?

As for the Lex 48, I would strongly recommend it. It DOES have blackout curtains, and I found the rooms to be modern and tastefully decorated and the service to be excellent with no hidden charges or fees. That said, the rooms are on the smallish side, even the Terrace Studio we had, but I do like this property.

RichardInSF Mar 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Take a look at the review threads if you want to see my problems with Andaz in detail. But for starters: the "host" system doesn't really work, what they call a suite generally isn't a suite, HVAC turns itself off due to aggressive room sensors, inadequate or non-existent storage space, inadequate room lighting, and a management that is more concerned with marketing than reality.

suspire Mar 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 18219523)
Take a look at the review threads if you want to see my problems with Andaz in detail. But for starters: the "host" system doesn't really work, what they call a suite generally isn't a suite, HVAC turns itself off due to aggressive room sensors, inadequate or non-existent storage space, inadequate room lighting, and a management that is more concerned with marketing than reality.

Hmm. So I've looked over a bunch of reviews for the Andaz Wall Street, and from what I've read, people are saying there are electronic blackout blinds and that the lighting is adjustable, though the controls may be a little tricky unless you've been shown how to use them.