FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Extenstion of Hyatt Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1317554-extenstion-hyatt-points.html)

leftpinky Feb 24, 2012 2:54 am

Extenstion of Hyatt Points

I tried a search for extend hyatt points and one or two others, but found nothing.

I have about 8k points expiring in July. I recently got the Shappire card, so I was wondering if I transfered over 50 or 100 or 1000 points, does that extend my older points? thanks

DHalltheway Feb 24, 2012 4:55 am

last I check hyatt points don't expire.

Brendan Feb 24, 2012 6:38 am

Right on, DH! I have a friend who hasn't earned or spent a point in several years & his 38K are still there.
Leftpinky, transfers from Sapphire do count as activity but may be done only in 1000-point increments.

leftpinky Feb 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Oh, thanks guys. I have awardwallet and it gives me an expiration date, so that is good to know. Was hoping to add those 7500+ points to my Shappire + Ink points and get back to the Park Hyatt for a week or so.

MarkMColo Feb 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 18073446)
last I check hyatt points don't expire.

In practice, this seems to be true. I personally had separate periods of inactivity of almost 3 years, 5+ years, and 4+ years without losing any points.

However, the t&c's do state:

A member's Hyatt Gold Passport membership may be discontinued at Hyatt Gold Passport's discretion if a member does not record Hyatt Gold Passport points or Travel Partner miles activity during any consecutive 12-month period. All Hyatt Gold Passport points in the account will be forfeited at that time.
This is why Awardwallet will show an expiration date.

bp888 Feb 24, 2012 3:51 pm

However, the t&c's do state:
Quote:
A member's Hyatt Gold Passport membership may be discontinued at Hyatt Gold Passport's discretion if a member does not record Hyatt Gold Passport points or Travel Partner miles activity during any consecutive 12-month period. All Hyatt Gold Passport points in the account will be forfeited at that time.
What is not clear to me is what constitutes a "points activity?" Does redeeming points for an award stay qualify? Purchasing points? Dining without staying?

leftpinky Feb 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by bp888 (Post 18076706)
What is not clear to me is what constitutes a "points activity?" Does redeeming points for an award stay qualify? Purchasing points? Dining without staying?

DIning without a stay would most likely qualify since that is how just about every other program does it. Award stay may not...

DHalltheway Feb 25, 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky (Post 18076836)
DIning without a stay would most likely qualify since that is how just about every other program does it. Award stay may not...

Dining in without staying is a perk that is being introduced soon.

So other than staying, I would guess booking award and transferring points atm.

iflyjetz Feb 25, 2012 1:25 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky (Post 18076836)

Award stay counts. Any use or accumulation of points is 'activity'.

iflyjetz Feb 25, 2012 1:39 am

Originally Posted by MarkMColo (Post 18076558)
In practice, this seems to be true. I personally had separate periods of inactivity of almost 3 years, 5+ years, and 4+ years without losing any points.

However, the t&c's do state:This is why Awardwallet will show an expiration date.

Yes, thanks for posting the T&Cs. I was going to post it. Technically, Hyatt's points are subject to expiring after a year of inactivity. In current practice, they never expire.
I've had both Starwood and Hilton points expire after a year; they also state 12 months of inactivity in their T&Cs. Unfortunately, they enforce that portion of their T&Cs.

So as of today, Hyatt points don't expire in practice but that doesn't mean that the company couldn't start purging dormant accounts sometime in the future. All it takes is some corporate exec who decides that he wants to get those unused points off of the books.
But in order to ensure you keep your points, all you need to do is either spend points or earn points before the end of 12 months.

aussielori Feb 25, 2012 3:59 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 18078348)
Dining in without staying is a perk that is being introduced soon.

I think it will be a long time coming to international properties.

DHalltheway Feb 25, 2012 4:54 am

Originally Posted by aussielori (Post 18078710)
I think it will be a long time coming to international properties.

Yeah, so will Hyatt introducing point amenities to international properties or a Hyatt Credit Card outside the US.

:td::td::(:(:td::td:

TrojanHorse Feb 25, 2012 1:12 pm

While its good to know that they aren't expiring in practice (Is there any word on this from the GPC like the CO Insider stated on the CO board about miles not expiring)

I have way too many GP points to take that chance without some activity. I haven't stayed at a Hyatt in 10 months so at some point, I need to do a cheap stay or have some sort of transaction to keep them alive. Would a 300 point car rental credit extend the points?

peteropny Feb 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 18078819)
Yeah, so will Hyatt introducing point amenities to international properties or a Hyatt Credit Card outside the US.

:td::td::(:(:td::td:

Point amenities could be closer than you think ;)

Firewind Feb 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I think Hyatt's not enforcing an expiry is a very nice feature. I hope that if they ever do, that there will be a notification if/when it's imminent. Of course, with the program as a whole. But also in the event.

I came close to having my HHonors points expire a couple of years ago, but got two notices from Hilton that it was going to happen. I'd actually gone more than the stated amount of time without the policy being enforced, so it came out of the blue, so I was grateful. I did get the feeling when I called to find out exactly when, that someone at HH had suddenly done what some hereabove have commented is always possible here. Other programs aren't so honorable - I suspect because it's part of their business model. (Long a mark on most airlines, of course.) Even though we'd fuss a lot if Hyatt starts to hold us to it, I do think they at least would be honorable - upfront - about it.