Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:26 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stargold
This was a couple years back, but yes, I ordered a flat white and received the most disappointing coffee of my week in Australia, which came from a bean-to-cup machine.
I had lunch last week in the semi private dining area of the Dining Room. We all had coffee and they were all as expected.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by penegal
Did they offer you the al a carte menu?
yeah, and it was nice, but the thing that really bugged me was the lack of fresh OJ. How can they serve concentrate when they’re charging that much. When I’m in Europe I have at least 4 glasses of the good stuff.

So I just found a kickass spot in Sydney that I enjoyed immensely. (Room 10).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jerkstore

yeah, and it was nice, but the thing that really bugged me was the lack of fresh OJ. How can they serve concentrate when they’re charging that much. When I’m in Europe I have at least 4 glasses of the good stuff.

So I just found a kickass spot in Sydney that I enjoyed immensely. (Room 10).
Room Ten has amazing sandwiches and coffee. PH Sydney F&B does leave a lot to be desired.
luvFclass and vantage03 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
You can get fresh OJ at PHS breakfast, but you have to ask a waiter (they make it to order). Although this isn't really made clear to guests.

Some buffet items are a bit disappointing. I find the "fresh" bread can be very dry - probably as it's sliced a while before service. I actually like a slice of "fresh" sourdough in the morning sometimes, but not a slice of cardboard.

Last edited by penegal; Feb 20, 2019 at 3:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I was considering using points for a stay at this property for a night, but based on what I am reading I am thinking maybe this property isn't worth it compared to saving my points for a tokyo redemption. I have only low level status and it seems like everything I read that is positive about this property is more about the views and I would likely not get a room with a good view anyway. Is that a fair assessment?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Red259
I was considering using points for a stay at this property for a night, but based on what I am reading I am thinking maybe this property isn't worth it compared to saving my points for a tokyo redemption. I have only low level status and it seems like everything I read that is positive about this property is more about the views and I would likely not get a room with a good view anyway. Is that a fair assessment?
I suppose I'm not the best candidate to ask
I'm spoiled with Lifetime Globalist status so certainly I am looking through stays with rose colored glasses
I simply love the PH Sydney and though the hotel has always been a work in progress I lean toward the current management
and team on board as some of the hotels finest in the history of the property
This isn't to say I won't stay in other area properties but in my way of thinking not finishing your trip with a stay of one to four nights at the Park Hyatt Sydney
is to have missed one of Sydney's most Iconic hotels that hasn't diminished with age and only gotten better
Only the restaurant has struggled a bit on my last visit as it had fallen a few notches in consistency and execution
One of my favorite restaurant managers had sadly moved on
Still I will take this happily over the Park Hyatt New York

Not sure what you have in mind for your stay but Park Hyatt always has requests for views all the time
After over 25 years of staying there some of the very best views are right from the restaurant and the lobby area where you can go for a meal snack or coffee and drinks
One cant stay in the room 24 hours a day unless perhaps on a honeymoon or lovers weekend?

The room standard is quite high and for those that have never been its one of life's exceeding rare experiences
The Guest Service manager is fantastic,the head concierge Jonathan Fambart.exceptional.Consummate professional with class,humbleness/kindness
A rare combination out there with door men trying to play double as concierge these days
He pulls rabbit's out of hats is truly one of the best globally if you need to turn for almost anything
There is a sense of exclusivity,serenity and privacy that most properties lack
I admire Hyatt in Tokyo The Grand and the Park
Lean more towards the Grand personally

At the end of the day everyone has to try the Park Hyatt Sydney at least once
Its simply a top 20 property of a lifetime.
Can it be very expensive yes but on points I wouldn't miss it and especially recommend it.

I once was in a smaller angular room a few years ago during a high demand time with lesser view and still enjoyed my stay
The team always resonates with me and I have to say I greatly appreciate so many of the heartfelt individuals I have had the pleasure to know through the years
Having said all that if view is critical to you in any property and its a priority and your not staying for a week or weeks consider offering to pay an up-charge to guarantee and confirm it
They are in high season now so through late March especially it might be wise.
Otherwise seek other data points from your same elite level peers and see how they fared in general.Best wished for a great stay whereever you decide to stay
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 20, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:05 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If it's your first time to Sydney, you simply must stay here.

Without status, on points you may or may not get a view. But it's only $150 extra for a view.

Why not do points and cash and stay at both SYD and Tokyo?

Frankly, I found the PH Tokyo very underwhelming.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
The PH Sydney is a special property but I'd say it would only be worth it to choose it over a Tokyo redemption if you plan on paying cash to upgrade to a view room. If you're staying in low season it's not entirely impossible that you'd be upgraded at check in but you'd have to ask others about that.

One thing I would say is that if you end up redeeming in Tokyo, I would strongly recommend that you book at the Andaz Tokyo before March 18 when it becomes cat7. It is better than the PH Tokyo in nearly every way other than location, which is not a big issue in a city with such a good and easy to use subway system.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
If it's your first time to Sydney, you simply must stay here.

Without status, on points you may or may not get a view. But it's only $150 extra for a view.

Why not do points and cash and stay at both SYD and Tokyo?

Frankly, I found the PH Tokyo very underwhelming.
I already stayed at the PH Tokyo I won't stay there again. The Andaz however is my favorite hotel in the world.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
The PH Sydney is a special property but I'd say it would only be worth it to choose it over a Tokyo redemption if you plan on paying cash to upgrade to a view room. If you're staying in low season it's not entirely impossible that you'd be upgraded at check in but you'd have to ask others about that.

One thing I would say is that if you end up redeeming in Tokyo, I would strongly recommend that you book at the Andaz Tokyo before March 18 when it becomes cat7. It is better than the PH Tokyo in nearly every way other than location, which is not a big issue in a city with such a good and easy to use subway system.
What is considered low season in Sydney? I'm going during the first two weeks of april. Yes I am aware of the Hyatts in Tokyo and agree with that Andaz is better than the PH or at least for someone with minimal status. Unfortunately the Andaz is not allowing me to book single award nights and I have to book two or three nights in a row. I only have the points for one night at the moment and will not likely have additional hyatt points until May, so I was leaning maybe towards using my points towards the PH in Sydney for one night or waiting for the category changes and booking a cheaper night at the Singapore Andaz and saving the rest of the points for Tokyo. I don't mind using the points on the PH Sydney if its a once in a lifetime must stay hotel but I did the PH Tokyo and was rather disappointed with the entire thing. I don't really feel like using 30k points and then paying an additional $150 for a view alone. If the view is the only thing that makes this property stand out then maybe I am better off going somewhere where I have elite status and can get lounge access etc for less money. I have stayed in several park hyatts and do like the brand though.Some are excellent but others are kinda meh.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:57 pm

Stay at the Marriott or Intercontinental and walk over to the PH for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner or Drinks. Enjoy the views and the savings.
katstarr likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
Stay at the Marriott or Intercontinental and walk over to the PH for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner or Drinks. Enjoy the views and the savings.
The view from your room and look down all those tourist is very different to the view from the dining room.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
The view from your room and look down all those tourist is very different to the view from the dining room.
My point was that if you're only staying at the PH for the views you can get pretty good views from the public venues and stay elsewhere for far less money.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
My point was that if you're only staying at the PH for the views you can get pretty good views from the public venues and stay elsewhere for far less money.
I ended up booking an award for the PH Sydney for one night. I do not know when I will be in Sydney again and I figured I could earn a bunch more hyatt points before I head to Japan, so I figured I would take the shot. People mentioned paying $150 to be upgraded to a room with a view. Is that something you ask about upon check in? I'm doubtful I want to spend extra money on top of my 30k points but it doesn't hurt to see what my options are.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:31 pm

I ended up booking an award for the PH Sydney for one night. I do not know when I will be in Sydney again and I figured I could earn a bunch more hyatt points before I head to Japan, so I figured I would take the shot. People mentioned paying $150 to be upgraded to a room with a view. Is that something you ask about upon check in? I'm doubtful I want to spend extra money on top of my 30k points but it doesn't hurt to see what my options are.
Ask when you get there or email ahead of time. Contacting them ahead of time will confirm the paid upgrade but waiting until you arrive may give you more flexibility but fewer (or maybe more) options.
saaveraward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.