Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:39 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by frogss29
Congratulations But it was more the Christmas - NYE that I was talking about. Would LOVE to be there and see the fireworks. Just don't want to spend $$$.
They run 5 functions for NYE including dinners and two parties. Generally Belvedere Vodka party in the Guesthouse and Vueve on the rooftop for around $500 each. Both have access to the boardwalk but non really see the bottom of the Bridge.
frogss29 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:20 pm

Stay at Park Hyatt Sydney January 2019

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Sydney in January 2019 for 2 nights. I had emailed the GM for a request to upgrade to a harbor view or Opera view room 3 days before my check in, and he sent back an email saying Opera view was sold out, and it was going to cost $300 AUD per night for the Harbor view, or $950 AUD for the King Opera Deluxe. As I was continuously traveling, I could not get an opportunity to reply back ( I was going to decline the paid upgrade.. 600 AUD was too much for just the view). When I checked in, I was pleasantly surprised that they did the upgrade to the Harbor view nonetheless!

The hotel is good, nothing phenomenal to write about. I am sure there are much better rooms available for a cheaper price, e.g. Four Seasons, Shangri la, etc. If not for point redemption, I would not stay at the Park Hyatt.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xcitech
I stayed at the Park Hyatt Sydney in January 2019 for 2 nights. I had emailed the GM for a request to upgrade to a harbor view or Opera view room 3 days before my check in, and he sent back an email saying Opera view was sold out, and it was going to cost $300 AUD per night for the Harbor view, or $950 AUD for the King Opera Deluxe. As I was continuously traveling, I could not get an opportunity to reply back ( I was going to decline the paid upgrade.. 600 AUD was too much for just the view). When I checked in, I was pleasantly surprised that they did the upgrade to the Harbor view nonetheless!

The hotel is good, nothing phenomenal to write about. I am sure there are much better rooms available for a cheaper price, e.g. Four Seasons, Shangri la, etc. If not for point redemption, I would not stay at the Park Hyatt.
You make a good point. PH Sydney is 2.5x as much as the Langham. And 3x as much as the Sofitel, Four Seasons, Shangri La, etc.

No doubt it's a nice property but value wise, very, very questionable.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I feel you are paying for the position/views at PH Sydney.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by frogss29
I feel you are paying for the position/views at PH Sydney.
Exactly. Popular with cruisers and first-timers. And bloggers. Would not command $1K per night in any U.S. city even with the best of views. Lack of competition gives the PH the leverage to charge the prices it does.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
Exactly. Popular with cruisers and first-timers. And bloggers. Would not command $1K per night in any U.S. city even with the best of views. Lack of competition gives the PH the leverage to charge the prices it does.
Not sure how true this is. The PH NYC rarely charges less than $1K/nt for base rooms and I wouldn't say they're much nicer than the PH SYD.

There aren't many good luxury options in the city. Calling the FS Sydney a Four Seasons is almost laughable. Shangri La is decent but nothing to write home about. Sofitel Darling Harbour is nice but inconvenient. The new W and Crowne hotels in the CBD/Darling Park should hopefully introduce some quality competition.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12
Not sure how true this is. The PH NYC rarely charges less than $1K/nt for base rooms and I wouldn't say they're much nicer than the PH SYD.

There aren't many good luxury options in the city. Calling the FS Sydney a Four Seasons is almost laughable. Shangri La is decent but nothing to write home about. Sofitel Darling Harbour is nice but inconvenient. The new W and Crowne hotels in the CBD/Darling Park should hopefully introduce some quality competition.
NYC is much more expensive than SYD. Makes sense that a true luxury hotel like the PH would cost a small fortune.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:08 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sydneyflyer12

As a Sydneysider could not agree with this more.

The FS is one of the worst in the World. Shangri La is meh.

I doubt the W will be a true luxury hotel...
sydneyflyer12 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by kapooncha
NYC is much more expensive than SYD. Makes sense that a true luxury hotel like the PH would cost a small fortune.
You would be surprised...

I actually find Australia can be more expensive depending on the prevailing FX rate.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Currently staying at the property. My only tip is to avoid the breakfast entirely. Really, really unimpressive spread for this type of hotel. Park Hyatt Melbourne was much better.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
Currently staying at the property. My only tip is to avoid the breakfast entirely. Really, really unimpressive spread for this type of hotel. Park Hyatt Melbourne was much better.
Are they still serving utterly appalling coffee because they couldn't spend whatever minimal cost it is to train some staff as a barista?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by stargold
Are they still serving utterly appalling coffee because they couldn't spend whatever minimal cost it is to train some staff as a barista?
not a coffee drinker, but the concierge said they get it from some hip spot nearby. Not gospel.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by Jerkstore
Did they offer you the al a carte menu?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by stargold
Can you clarify? You couldn't order a real coffee (not "Americano") or it was just bad?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Can you clarify? You couldn't order a real coffee (not "Americano") or it was just bad?
This was a couple years back, but yes, I ordered a flat white and received the most disappointing coffee of my week in Australia, which came from a bean-to-cup machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.