Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:52 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SMK77
Points book into both Park King and Harbour King Rooms. The choice is yours to book a Park King when no Harbour King Rooms are offered anymore. Discounted Corporate Rates book into the Park King as well.
Not anymore. It used to offer Park Kings and City/Harbour Kings and they recently stopped the higher category room from showing.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Just finished 2 nights in a Harbor View King after 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency. I agree that the location and view from the hotel can't be beat. The rooms are very well design with efficient use of space, ample storage and seating, while still appearing large. The bathroom is reminiscent of PH NY, PH Paris, PH Milan, but much better executed in both the finishings and design, allowing either a view or privacy.

Something that surprised me was the service at breakfast and I don't remember reading on this forum. When seated, I was asked about drinks, but no one asked whether we wanted to order any items on either day. We had to wave someone over both days. It struck us as odd that others have complained about breakfast service at PH Vienna, Chicago, etc when this lapse was much more glaring.

The pool was great with nice complimentary lounge chairs, great cabanas, water, hot tub. They even came around with complimentary fruit kebabs. It provided a similar view of the Opera House that we had from our Harbor View Room. It would have been nice if there was a more direct view of the Opera House that all guests can enjoy, in case they did not have an Opera Room.

Last edited by thucanhho; Dec 2, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thucanhho
It would have been nice if there was a more direct view of the Opera House that all guests can enjoy, in case they did not have an Opera Room.
It used to pre reno. The rooftop pool area was the entire roof including a grass area where they did events. Now they have the level four rooftop suites.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:09 am

Just checked-in for a 4 night stay as an Explorist. They offered me early check-in(~9am) which i appreciated. I was placed in a city/harbour view room. Looking out the balcony, it is directly facing the CBD. Looking to the left of the balcony is the Opera house. Initially, I was disappointed at check-in that they didn't have an Opera King Room but the views aren't bad at all from the current room. The only thing I thought was underwhelming was the size of the TV. I think it's maybe 42"? Just thought a Park Hyatt should be furnished with bigger TVs. It's definitely not a deal breaker though.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by emofeng
Just checked-in for a 4 night stay as an Explorist. They offered me early check-in(~9am) which i appreciated. I was placed in a city/harbour view room. Looking out the balcony, it is directly facing the CBD. Looking to the left of the balcony is the Opera house. Initially, I was disappointed at check-in that they didn't have an Opera King Room but the views aren't bad at all from the current room. The only thing I thought was underwhelming was the size of the TV. I think it's maybe 42"? Just thought a Park Hyatt should be furnished with bigger TVs. It's definitely not a deal breaker though.
It's one of the few hotels in SYD that know most international flight arrivals are in the 6-9AM peak period and tries to accommodate.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by emofeng
PH Seoul and Busan have 40" ones. I think the biggest TV I've seen was a 55" at PHNY.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Do the deluxe rooms have bigger TVs?

Not something that I am personally worried about as I tend not to watch Aussie TV.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:56 pm

Has anyone offered a paid upgrade to an Opera View room from basic 30,000pt award night? How much is it? No Hyatt status.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Has anyone offered a paid upgrade to an Opera View room from basic 30,000pt award night? How much is it? No Hyatt status.
I'm sure it's listed in this thread but the search function seems broken. Closest I found was this But I could upgrade to a City Harbour King for $125 AUD per night or an Opera King for an additional $650 AUD per night for the last two nights (Opera Kings were sold out the first two nights) from https://singleflyer.com/2017/06/18/m...-an-explorist/
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:24 am

Thanks, m0hamed. AUD650 additional to upgrade to an Opera view room? How is this possible? Award rooms have no category listed - just ONE KING BED. Paid booking starts at AUD941 for Harbour View Room and AUD1036 for Opera View Room on the dates I selected. So they "value" the award room at roughly AUD386?

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I'm sure it's listed in this thread but the search function seems broken. Closest I found was this But I could upgrade to a City Harbour King for $125 AUD per night or an Opera King for an additional $650 AUD per night for the last two nights (Opera Kings were sold out the first two nights) from https://singleflyer.com/2017/06/18/m...-an-explorist/
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:41 am

Thanks, m0hamed. AUD650 additional to upgrade to an Opera view room? How is this possible? Award rooms have no category listed - just ONE KING BED. Paid booking starts at AUD941 for Harbour View Room and AUD1036 for Opera View Room on the dates I selected. So they "value" the award room at roughly AUD386?
It's bs for sure, but they can get away with it.

It seems Hyatt has reclassified all awards to 'One King' to enable properties to allocate terrible rooms. We're staying on points for MG. Not expecting a thing.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
All Hyatts I have tried allowed to confirm and upgraded room by paying the standard rate difference. You can book a room for points and then secure your preferred room by paying the differential.

Just to remind everyone of their normal room rates. For 3 March you pay:

Harbour View King: AUD 1,370, Opera View King: AUD 1,470 (+100), Harbour Deluxe: AUD 1,520 (+150) and Opera Deluxe: AUD 2,020 (+650).

They are not charging random amounts for upgrades here, they are charging the standard rate difference.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
All Hyatts I have tried allowed to confirm and upgraded room by paying the standard rate difference. You can book a room for points and then secure your preferred room by paying the differential.

Harbour View King: AUD 1,370, Opera View King: AUD 1,470 (+100), Harbour Deluxe: AUD 1,520 (+150) and Opera Deluxe: AUD 2,020 (+650).

They are not charging random amounts for upgrades here, they are charging the standard rate difference.
I believe the point that mOhamed was making is that since there is no rate listed for the "One King Bed", that they use for award bookings, so there is no standard rate difference. They've also changed all the room category names, making it more confusing.

However, if the one report of an upgrade offered at A$125 from the award room to the lowest normally listed revenue room still holds true, then broadwayboy's calculation is quite a bit off. If the King Harbour View is A$941 for broadwayboy's dates and the upgrade is available at A$125, then they would be valuing the award room at A$816 for those dates. There's not enough data to say how much the upgrade would be when rates are higher.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:00 am

Except that the award room category is not available to be booked at paying rate, so they can charge whatever they want for paid-upgrade since we don't know how much award room "costs". Is Harbour View Room = award room category? I seem to recall they have some less desirable rooms at PHS.

Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:26 am

Except that the award room category is not available to be booked at paying rate, so they can charge whatever they want for paid-upgrade since we don't know how much award room "costs". Is Harbour View Room = award room category? I seem to recall they have some less desirable rooms at PHS.
No it will be a Park King which actually means Hickson Road view.

Staying over MG, NYE and much of Summer the hotel is at 100% and those rooms are allocated. Other than that they try not to allocate them, I believe.

Last edited by m0hamed; Feb 1, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.