Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:22 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I know Diamonds who have.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:50 am

What is the usual room globalist get when booking on points? I am hoping that September date helps since it's not high season so would really love an Opera View.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Well, I think it's disrespectful towards Hyatt's best customers, as well as somewhat unethical, to assign them a room that is considered by the hotel itself so inferior that it is not part of the regular inventory. Sort of like assigning them a group leader's or bush pilot's room. The description of a Park King on the website is so glowing that an unwary points customer would not know that they will be in a back room overlooking a street.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by olouie
What is the usual room globalist get when booking on points? I am hoping that September date helps since it's not high season so would really love an Opera View.
There is no "usual" room assignment for elites at this hotel.
It can be all over the place from no upgrade to Opera Deluxe.
Obviously Deluxe room upgrades are rarer than View room upgrades.

There are numerous cases reported here and elsewhere where people could see better rooms available on the website but yet did not receive upgrades to those rooms because the hotel simply said there are no rooms available.

Bottom line is, don't expect much in terms of upgrades, even if you're a globalist.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
There is no "usual" room assignment for elites at this hotel.
It can be all over the place from no upgrade to Opera Deluxe.
Obviously Deluxe room upgrades are rarer than View room upgrades.

There are numerous cases reported here and elsewhere where people could see better rooms available on the website but yet did not receive upgrades to those rooms because the hotel simply said there are no rooms available.

Bottom line is, don't expect much in terms of upgrades, even if you're a globalist.
In that case I book the room. Oh wow, so an Opera Deluxe room is available at $1500? And only at $1500 and not using points? I don't think so.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by JetAway
I asked because I don't recall ever seeing any Globalist/Diamond who posts on FT or the other travel forums writing about being in this room category. So I was asking about verified stays rather than speculation.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I am Diamond/Globalist, and have only stayed at this property as a top tier elite and yes, it happens occasionally.

Fortunately it hasn't happened for a while, although we are in lower season at the moment.

FWIW, the rooms aren't as completely dire as some make out. The main detractor is that the views aren't as nice as the postcard views from better rooms.

I personally find the PHS fit out and service to be superior than most/all other Sydney CBD hotels. The location is a little inconvenient, so if you don't have a view, you could argue that other hotels are much better located for a room with a inconsequential view.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:17 pm

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has the GM or personal contact email with someone at this property. Please PM if possible. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:00 am

As someone with no status am I better to book 2 reward nights at basic level or 'club' level if priority is getting a view?

What do club level rooms provide - is there a lounge? Couldn't see pictures

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:02 am

There is no club at this property. You can't book a Club rate (paid or points) here.

The only way to guarantee a view in advance is by calling the hotel and agreeing to pay the supplement.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
error

Last edited by thucanhho; Sep 27, 2017 at 8:17 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
I suspect you are referring to the Regency in DH.

Book what view you want to get here. Upgrades as a return glob frequent paid guest are sometimes not offered. Do not expect a upgrade.

Originally Posted by Flyweight
As someone with no status am I better to book 2 reward nights at basic level or 'club' level if priority is getting a view?

What do club level rooms provide - is there a lounge? Couldn't see pictures

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:21 pm

Had a pretty good stay. Booked room for three nights on points in early September. Was upgrade to Deluxe Opera View room. Really great view with nice balcony on first floor. Breakfast as globalist was really good too.

Only downside was service from the front desk. Was told the hotel would be sending up some welcome champagne, which never arrived the first night. Didn't think much of it but mentioned it second morning and was told they would send it up that night. Again, nothing. They ended up sending up some chocolates with the champagne which was nice, but overall just left a bad impression.

Now the concierge was exact opposite of front desk service. All of the staff we talked to were super helpful, remembered our names each time we would pass, and had great tips for what to do/what to see /how to save money. A+
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Staying here on points as an explorist for part of our honeymoon in december... Looks like a lot of cruise ships will be there during that time. Should we avoid? Also should is there a good contact at the hotel to let them know of the occasion?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by kar don
Staying here on points as an explorist for part of our honeymoon in december... Looks like a lot of cruise ships will be there during that time. Should we avoid? Also should is there a good contact at the hotel to let them know of the occasion?
Nothing wrong with cruise ships being there-fun to watch entering/leaving port and they add to the overall activity level of the harbor. As for room & view, however, special occasions don't mean much at this hotel unless you are a known and regular customer and an "explorist" is pretty far down the food chain.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Nothing wrong with cruise ships being there-fun to watch entering/leaving port and they add to the overall activity level of the harbor. As for room & view, however, special occasions don't mean much at this hotel unless you are a known and regular customer and an "explorist" is pretty far down the food chain.
Even Diamonds on special occasions don't get much. A Cake and some sparkling wine if you're lucky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.