Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by farwest101
Great advice. Was just about to book a few nights. Did the hotel inform you prior to arrival that you had been upgraded to Harbour View room?
No, I got no notification of anything prior to arrival. Note that on days that cruise ships are in port (which was 3 out of 4 days when I was there) the "Harbour view" rooms might have a view mostly of the back end of a cruise ship. The Queen Mary 2 was in port on my last day, it is huge. This is another reason to try to get an Opera View room, they point away from the port across the harbour towards the Opera House, whereas the Harbour View rooms face the nearby cruise ship port. I think that having an Opera View room would greatly enhance the experience at this hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I don't know what the difference is between a standard room and a deluxe room, other than maybe the deluxe rooms have better views.
Standard rooms are 40 - 45 sqm (430 - 480 sqft). Deluxe rooms are 70 sqm (750 sqft).
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Some of the "Park King" rooms seemed to have balconies overlooking streets or unattractive areas.
Not aware of any Park King rooms having balconies, but they all do have views of unattractive areas as they face the street the hotel is on (which ends in most places in a concrete retaining wall). Park King rooms also don't have an electronic toilet.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:50 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If this happened during my stay I would be demanding one night be comped. Imagine being on the street, in a bathrobe for 2 hours!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/80-evacuat...224-33bg5.html
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm pretty sure the hotel will be offering those affected something as compensation.... let's see what comes up in the dedicated thread about this.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Wow. It says they evacuated the hotel but also says only eighty people were evacuated? It has 155 rooms. Maybe some people just didn't answer the door. Or at 9:20 a.m. maybe a lot of guests were already out.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Just checked in for a three night stay - paid and points. Welcomed and checked in at front desk and told it was out 10th year and 10th stay at PH Sydney and that they would make our stay special ! Apparently there would be a few extras in our room.

Allocated standard Harbour King on 1st floor next to elevator even though my Gold Passport profile asks for high floor and I always request a quiet room,I.e. away from elevators. My view is the back end of the Queen Elizabeth. Normal amenity in room but no welcome letter.

10th stay here and worst room we have ever been allocated. Very disappointed.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Just checked in for a three night stay - paid and points. Welcomed and checked in at front desk and told it was out 10th year and 10th stay at PH Sydney and that they would make our stay special ! Apparently there would be a few extras in our room.

Allocated standard Harbour King on 1st floor next to elevator even though my Gold Passport profile asks for high floor and I always request a quiet room,I.e. away from elevators. My view is the back end of the Queen Elizabeth. Normal amenity in room but no welcome letter.

I would be curious if they put you in the wrong room. As much as I disliked my first room (Park King), the personalized welcome letter was still waiting on us. Considering they said they added some extra stuff, that just doesn't make sense. I would call them on it and figure out if they made a mistake.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy

What kind of amenity did you get ? Bottle of wine ?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
What kind of amenity did you get ? Bottle of wine ?
Bottle of wine and some cheese which we have had previousl. Unfortunately the cheese was delivered while we were out so the room stank when we got back. So put outside overnight.

The saga continues this morning. 15 minutes to be asked for breakfast order. Coffee took over 10 minutes and the OJ never turned up. We have obviously been spoilt previously.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
We were really excited about using our two free nights to stay here, but after reading this I am a little worried. This was going to be the end of our trip, so I hope your experience outlined above is a fluke.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
We were really excited about using our two free nights to stay here, but after reading this I am a little worried. This was going to be the end of our trip, so I hope your experience outlined above is a fluke.
I am sure it is just a fluke as our previous 9 stays have been great. But I have a feeling this may be a long running saga. You have one of those stays where it starts badly and doesn't get better! Breakfast was not only slow,we sat down 9:45 and we needed to be ready for an 11 o'clock pickup which we only just made, but I didn't even bother eating my main as the food was so bad.

Maybe we are using up all the bad luck for you?

Last edited by BAGoldBoy; Mar 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:59 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I stayed here last year on points and it was exquisite in every way shape and form. the room, service, breakfast, everything was phenomenal. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:07 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
My partner and I are using our free nights here in November... for the last four nights of our anniversary trip... and we got booked into the "Park King" rooms... nothing else available. They will not even offer these rooms up for sale... hoping something better becomes available... but not holding out hope.

Originally Posted by WISLUGGO
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wharvey
My partner and I are using our free nights here in November... for the last four nights of our anniversary trip... and we got booked into the "Park King" rooms... nothing else available. They will not even offer these rooms up for sale... hoping something better becomes available... but not holding out hope.
Why would you even consider staying here then? For me this property is for a large part about having a view from your room, otherwise it's not worth the price (or the points).
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:53 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RTW1
Why would you even consider staying here then? For me this property is for a large part about having a view from your room, otherwise it's not worth the price (or the points).
From this thread, I think they use those rooms as a last resort, especially for those with status (Diamond / Platinum) even if that was what they confirmed in.

I think that most of the city / harbor view rooms can face towards the cruise terminal, so the view could be of a cruise ship if one is docked but if the stay is several days, you should see the opera house (albeit at an angle).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.