FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1316179-park-hyatt-sydney-post-reno-review-master-thread.html)

sydneyflyer12 Apr 6, 2019 12:42 am

FWIW, upgraded an award stay from standard king to Opera View King in February for $400 AUD/nt

makelab Apr 7, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by taffygrrl (Post 30933265)
I stayed at a different hotel in Sydney earlier in the week, and though the room and facilities were not as nice, the staff was top-notch and went above and beyond to make my stay better.

if it isnt too much trouble, what was the property? would much rather stay at a place like that.

VegasGambler Apr 7, 2019 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway (Post 30969820)
He thought he was paying for a view and was led to believe that was the case. Certainly worth complaining about.

Yeah, but it's too late now. You can't stay in the larger room and then when you leave complain that you didn't have a view. If you don't like the room ask for a different one, or ask for your $100 back in exchange for being put back into your original room type.

I've asked for different rooms when I haven't been happy with the one I've been checked into. With only one exception (GH HK) they have obliged.

Sometimes that means something that the hotel considers a "downgrade" but I consider an upgrade. At the HR Tokyo they tried to put me in a club room when there was a non-club room that was 50% bigger available. I said no, and they gave me the larger room (that was taken care of before I saw the room). At the GH Seoul they tried to put me in a small room with a view when there was a large corner deluxe room available. After seeing the room, I told them that I would prefer the larger room, and they moved me to the corner deluxe.

But if you don't say anything, complaining just seems passive-aggressive, or, worse, like you are trying to scam them. Give them a chance to fix it, and then, if they don't, complain.

JetAway Apr 7, 2019 8:31 pm

Totally agree. Always speak up soonest if you don't like something.

penegal Apr 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Zol (Post 30966379)
For those of you who have stayed, what is the privacy / exposure into the room like? Do you have to keep the blinds down at all times, based on pics and memory passers by have full view of the room internals?

A little slow to reply...

They have 2 types of blinds in each room - "sheer" and "blackout".

The sheer blind lets light in, and you can see through it (e.g. the darker side can see the lighter side - so you can see out without people seeing in during daylight; The inverse would be true during the evenings).
The blackout is dark dark (e.g. good for sleeping during the day).

My experience is you can keep the blinds open most of the time, but I often close the sheer during the day, or when showering / changing / etc

penegal Apr 10, 2019 7:37 pm

For those of you who have stayed, what is the privacy / exposure into the room like? Do you have to keep the blinds down at all times, based on pics and memory passers by have full view of the room internals?

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 30966398)
What on Earth are you planning on doing?!

NSFW? :p

penegal Apr 10, 2019 7:41 pm

@Red259 - I assume you were in 145,245, or 345?

Those rooms are "Deluxe City Harbour View", or whatever it's called this week. They are larger and have 2 balconies, but I agree that the view can be obstructed and less desirable, especially with the Campbell's Stores redevelopment.

luvFclass May 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Well we finally made it here after last year's trip was postponed due to IRROPS from NA flights. I am currently here for 3 nights on our anniversary celebration and all I can say is I am very happy with everything from arrival, check-in, room upgrades ( 3rd floor King Deluxe Opera House view ) and the overall service. Welcome amenity was a nice bottle of bubbly and a sampling box of fine chocolates.

Today I start with the sunrise Globby breakfast from The Dining Room in 30 minutes, then off to the Taronga Zoo for the day. Lots to do for a short stay these 3 days before I am off to the PH MEL afterwards. Finally a SPECIAL shout out to my personal concierge Ms. Quita from WofH for helping me with a good word and though I read all above complaints, everything is so far so good here in PH SYD.

LFC

op487062 May 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Not sure if you found your answer yet, but just completed a stay in Opera Deluxe room, 1st floor, Rm 011.

The first floor balconies are about 4 ft above ground level, and with the blinds open passersby can definitely see into the room clearly--with or without the sheer down. Since the hotel is at the tip of The Rocks, there are a lot of passersby taking pictures and walking.

Since I "only" paid $750 USD/nt and the hotel was fully booked, I couldn't ask to be moved. If I was paying rack rates I definitely would have asked to switch rooms.

m0hamed May 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by luvFclass (Post 31101377)
Well we finally made it here after last year's trip was postponed due to IRROPS from NA flights. I am currently here for 3 nights on our anniversary celebration and all I can say is I am very happy with everything from arrival, check-in, room upgrades ( 3rd floor King Deluxe Opera House view ) and the overall service. Welcome amenity was a nice bottle of bubbly and a sampling box of fine chocolates.

Today I start with the sunrise Globby breakfast from The Dining Room in 30 minutes, then off to the Taronga Zoo for the day. Lots to do for a short stay these 3 days before I am off to the PH MEL afterwards. Finally a SPECIAL shout out to my personal concierge Ms. Quita from WofH for helping me with a good word and though I read all above complaints, everything is so far so good here in PH SYD.

LFC

Take the ferry over from Circular Quay and definitely do the cable car over the Zoo, it's the best part!

luvFclass May 16, 2019 12:36 am

Koalas are the cutest

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 31101975)
Take the ferry over from Circular Quay and definitely do the cable car over the Zoo, it's the best part!

Damn Koalas! They had me the moment I saw one sleeping so cutely in the tree. ;) XOXO Taronga Zoo and the gondola ride was awesome. Would definitely go back if in SYD again in future. Perhaps I return in subsequent years after the PH AUK NZ opens later on this year.

LFC

GlenviewNOTAM Jun 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Effective this past weekend, PH Sydney has subdivided it's Opera View Deluxe rooms into Opera View Deluxe and Opera View Premium.

King Bed with Opera View Premium
Located at the very northern end of the hotel, this premium 75 square metre guestroom features an open plan design with two private balconies. With uninterrupted views, the Sydney Opera House is so close, you can almost touch it.

King Bed with Opera View Deluxe
Contemporary luxury greets all who step into in this 75-square-metre room, comprised of one king bed and two private balconies offering views of the Sydney Opera House and harbour.

Price difference looks to be ~$200/nt more for premium.

thepointsdr Aug 5, 2019 10:55 pm

Just completed a 2 night points stay here. We were "upgraded" to a regular King room with an Opera House view, but without the two private balconies - just one. Overall, we were very happy with the view and the location of the hotel which allowed us to visit places around the city easily by bus/ferry/train. Room was relatively small, at least compared to other recent Park Hyatt stays in New York and Vienna. Decent selection at breakfast, with moderate buffet and ability to order one item off the menu. However, we were disappointed by the quality of the made to order items. We did order room service twice, which was actually comparable in price to surrounding restaurants, and those meals were better than the breakfast items.

Duke777 Nov 27, 2019 1:53 am

Recently completed a 4 night stay on points. We were upgraded to a premium king with opera view from the balcony. This is the two balcony room that is similar to a fake junior suite. It was ready for 10am check-in.

LOVED the hotel. One of our best stays ever and certainly one of the jewels of the portfolio. Service was relaxed and well done - sometimes these places can be so pretentious but none of that. Breakfast included buffet and order an item off the a la carte. The items were quite good - disagree with the poster above on quality. No issue with ordering multiple coffee drinks.

Location was a ~8 minute walk to CBD and transit. Quite enjoyed though, especially the hustle and bustle of the CBD where most of the other hotels are located.

Rebel Wilson was staying at the same time.

Other thing to note is that a lot of people didn't seem to realize the rooms are completely visible at night. Went for a walk along the pier and saw way more than we needed to see :).

Hawkeyefan Dec 4, 2019 4:09 pm

Have a two fold question...1) is this PH a good deal for Chase UR transfer to Hyatt at 30k pts per night? Cash rate for my dates in next March seems to be 1250 AUD per nt. 2) it seems I can only book a room with 2 adults and one child on pts....but I have two kids. Can you not get a room on pts for a family of 4? Can a rollaway be brought in?

Thx!