Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 20, 17, 10:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: bhrubin
Wiki Link
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revie...w-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 7, 17, 12:06 pm
  #1051  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by Maykita View Post
I think it is a standard Opera King room. The person checking me in said it was an upgrade of two room categories from Park King.
Opera King if Opera House is to your left from the balcony. Opera Deluxe if your room faces Opera House directly.
hyperzulu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 17, 9:37 pm
  #1052  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5
Quick question regarding the Sydney Park Hyatt. My wife and I are considering travelling to Australia next year with our 2 kids and staying at the Sydney Park Hyatt. The Hyatt website says that the guest maximum is 3. How strictly do they enforce this rule? Just asking because I don't want to make the reservation, show up and have it be an issue. Thanks in advance.
patrick1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 17, 5:11 am
  #1053  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,618
Originally Posted by patrick1977 View Post
Quick question regarding the Sydney Park Hyatt. My wife and I are considering travelling to Australia next year with our 2 kids and staying at the Sydney Park Hyatt. The Hyatt website says that the guest maximum is 3. How strictly do they enforce this rule? Just asking because I don't want to make the reservation, show up and have it be an issue. Thanks in advance.
Very strict. You should contact them but most hotel rooms in Australia don't accomodate more than three and they enforce it because of fire regulations.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 17, 7:03 pm
  #1054  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne
Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Posts: 191
A standard room there would only accommodate 1 extra bed anyway (unless a child is in your bed with you). The larger rooms (e.g. deluxe opera view) have more space and could theoretically accommodate 2 beds, but again, the hotel may not permit it.
dtm1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 17, 2:34 am
  #1055  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,487
Discoverist status (from Chase Hyatt)

Is it easy to get late-check out at this hotel (on a weekday)? Discoverist is eligible for it until 2 pm, I think. Should I mention this request on the day I check in?

I do not need to depart for Airport until 4 pm, so am hoping to be able to catch a shower before leaving (after doing some hiking in the morning)
gnomey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 17, 6:23 am
  #1056  
Used to be 'thiti'
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: UA-1K 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Posts: 174
Originally Posted by patrick1977 View Post
Quick question regarding the Sydney Park Hyatt. My wife and I are considering travelling to Australia next year with our 2 kids and staying at the Sydney Park Hyatt. The Hyatt website says that the guest maximum is 3. How strictly do they enforce this rule? Just asking because I don't want to make the reservation, show up and have it be an issue. Thanks in advance.
From what I was told, most hotels have fire code to limit 3 people per room. I was able to work with Park Hyatt Melbourne to have 2 adults and 2 kids (aging 6 and 4) in a suite for 3 weeks, but they might bend the rule as an exception because I brought them hundreds of nights.
Sawasdee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 17, 8:06 pm
  #1057  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 450
Planning to stay here for 5 nights in Jan. 4 nights via hyatt free night cert from cc and 1 suite night via 48k points. Any success stories on PHS not moving rooms if the first night is in the suite ? Probably wishful thinking for a Hyatt Explorist.

Last edited by emofeng; Mar 11, 17 at 8:12 pm
emofeng is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 17, 9:03 pm
  #1058  
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 7,912
Originally Posted by emofeng View Post
Planning to stay here for 5 nights in Jan. 4 nights via hyatt free night cert from cc and 1 suite night via 48k points. Any success stories on PHS not moving rooms if the first night is in the suite ? Probably wishful thinking for a Hyatt Explorist.
Even more than wishful thinking more a pie in the sky fantasy dream
I haven't heard of anyone being upgraded to a suite here in over a decade
Not on points or any other way other than paying for it outright at full price non refundable once booked
How did you book a suite on points?Do tell!
Likely prepare yourself for a very nice room and a great experience otherwise typically
Though the hotel is fantastic in all/most regards they sadly don't participate in World of Hyatt or the previous legendary and admired Gold Passport program
suite option upgrade benefits
Otherwise I would call it close to one my favorite hotels in the world hands down.A number of amazing team members

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Mar 11, 17 at 9:12 pm
777 global mile hound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 17, 11:26 pm
  #1059  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,362
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
P+C gets you at least the standard room and often something better.
Online it looks like P+C and straight Points both get you the exact same room (Park King). Am I missing something?
Single_Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 17, 12:21 am
  #1060  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,487
How strict is PHS about outside guests coming to meet someone (like me) who is staying at the hotel? Is it the kind where as long as I am around them, then we are free to walk whereever? I will be staying for 2 nights, and was hoping to perhaps spend an afternoon catching up with these guests, maybe go up to rooftop pool and enjoy view etc. They will then go back to their own home later.
gnomey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 17, 1:47 am
  #1061  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
Discoverist status (from Chase Hyatt)

Is it easy to get late-check out at this hotel (on a weekday)? Discoverist is eligible for it until 2 pm, I think. Should I mention this request on the day I check in?

I do not need to depart for Airport until 4 pm, so am hoping to be able to catch a shower before leaving (after doing some hiking in the morning)
I was offered 2 pm checkout as Chase Discoverist, upon check-in, without asking for it. It was a Tues nite.
Maykita is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 17, 3:14 am
  #1062  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,340
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
How strict is PHS about outside guests coming to meet someone (like me) who is staying at the hotel? Is it the kind where as long as I am around them, then we are free to walk whereever? I will be staying for 2 nights, and was hoping to perhaps spend an afternoon catching up with these guests, maybe go up to rooftop pool and enjoy view etc. They will then go back to their own home later.
They didn't seem terribly fussed (may not even have noticed) when I caught up with one of my Sydney friends for a good while on the Opera room balcony, and had a look around the pool together and took photos of the city later on.

Then again, it would never cross my mind that a hotel might want to stop me from doing so - I have yet to come across such an issue in a major chain hotel so far!
stargold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 17, 3:32 am
  #1063  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,618
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
How strict is PHS about outside guests coming to meet someone (like me) who is staying at the hotel? Is it the kind where as long as I am around them, then we are free to walk whereever? I will be staying for 2 nights, and was hoping to perhaps spend an afternoon catching up with these guests, maybe go up to rooftop pool and enjoy view etc. They will then go back to their own home later.
Given the size of the pool they may question the number in your party, but I suspect only there. They wouldn't bat an eyelid for one guest but in a group of more they may ask your room number and then you'll need to explain yourself.

The hotel prides itself on privacy and it is indeed where many celebs stay.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 17, 4:11 am
  #1064  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,487
Originally Posted by Maykita View Post
I was offered 2 pm checkout as Chase Discoverist, upon check-in, without asking for it. It was a Tues nite.
Thanks - good to know! Were you offer a better room than Park King too?


Originally Posted by stargold View Post
They didn't seem terribly fussed (may not even have noticed) when I caught up with one of my Sydney friends for a good while on the Opera room balcony, and had a look around the pool together and took photos of the city later on. Then again, it would never cross my mind that a hotel might want to stop me from doing so - I have yet to come across such an issue in a major chain hotel so far!
Great to know!

Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Given the size of the pool they may question the number in your party, but I suspect only there. They wouldn't bat an eyelid for one guest but in a group of more they may ask your room number and then you'll need to explain yourself. The hotel prides itself on privacy and it is indeed where many celebs stay.
Yeah I figured. That's why I asked first. Is the pool tiny? The main reason for going up there is just for the view. I doubt any of them would be interested in swimming, nor should they. I presume if you partake in snacks/drinks there, or at one of the restaurants, then that's ok with guests present right?
gnomey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 17, 4:17 am
  #1065  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,618
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post

Yeah I figured. That's why I asked first. Is the pool tiny? The main reason for going up there is just for the view. I doubt any of them would be interested in swimming, nor should they. I presume if you partake in snacks/drinks there, or at one of the restaurants, then that's ok with guests present right?
Quite small.

If you're up there with friends showing them the view you'll be fine. The rest of the hotel (bar, restaurants etc) are open to anyone.
m0hamed is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread