Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Hope you are checking in early so you can go back downstairs and ask for another room then
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
The question was for 4 in one room, and the answer was that 3 is the max in a deluxe room....

And while the rooms are pretty big, they are also full of furniture....
Exactly. Some people just dont know how to read.

Literally 3 adults as one of the 2 kids is over 18 years old. Dont know it is a boy or a girl but if it is a boy over 18 years old... pretty much 3 grown adults + a kid of unknown age...

The room is full of furniture leaving very little space to move about - in order to get in a cot or whatever for the 18+ years old kid, the dining table has to go (cannot be the sofa as the smaller kid may need it to sleep on!)

For those who love this hotel in its current state, you probably haven't stayed in the property before the renovation and not realized that within the SAME floor space, now there are A LOT MORE rooms fit into it... they also added to the balcony size which ate in the room size itself. (before some of the balcony was almost like a Juliet balcony with just enough space to step out - now it has furniture that got soaked in rainy weather!) And the lobby! It used to be the guests were led to SIT DOWN in front of the 2 or 3 desks set on one side of the very spacious lobby to do check in very comfortably. When you stepped in, what greeted you was an expanse view of the harbour and the opera house with the floor to ceiling glass panels that separated the lobby from the outside world. Now? there is no lobby to speak of. Guests are standing in front of the counter with the backs pretty much back up to the entrance to do check in... Not a hotel anywhere in the world that charges such hefty prices could get away with such.

Before renovation at least the room was much more spacious with the right amount of furniture (actually bordering to minimal) and a sense of elegance. Now it is just a very homey place. I truly dont understand why someone would pay over 1K AUD for such a room despite its location which while can be uh and ah for first time visitors, it is not really the best location for visiting Sydney, especially after you have been there so many times. Even on the Circular Quay, some of the high-rise buildings have much better view of the harbour than PH which really only has snob appeal, though the services from the concierge remain top notch because they go above and beyond to help guests when in need.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 8, 2016 at 8:49 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I agree with you on the check in. StR have sit down check in as standard, though they do offer Diamonds private in room check in.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by agjil
There are also a few terrible rooms that have a big stupid tree in front of them that blocks all the view from the rooms.
Why on earth this hotel doesn't get rid of that stupid tree is beyond me.

It's not their "big stupid tree" to get rid of - it belongs to the people of Sydney and we're happy to share its beauty with you.

The large number of trees is one of the many things that make Sydney beautiful, clean and healthy.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:48 am

they should just not sell the tree-view rooms at all.
Or simply sell them as "Tree View" rooms. And price accordingly.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I agree with you on the check in. StR have sit down check in as standard, though they do offer Diamonds private in room check in.
No sit-down check-in at St. Regis Washington D.C. annd Rome (at least) .So i guess that is not standard.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
I had a little chuckle at the tree view rooms.

The tree actually creates a bit of a barrier between the restaurants and the start of the hotel which can be nice, but it certainly would make the balcony view less desirable.

I think rooms 145/245/345 are the last City Harbour Deluxe rooms. The rooms beyond this x46/x47/x48 have tree views.

I've never had a tree view, but some colleagues have. It's also a long walk to the elevators.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by penegal
I had a little chuckle at the tree view rooms.

The tree actually creates a bit of a barrier between the restaurants and the start of the hotel which can be nice, but it certainly would make the balcony view less desirable.

I think rooms 145/245/345 are the last City Harbour Deluxe rooms. The rooms beyond this x46/x47/x48 have tree views.

I've never had a tree view, but some colleagues have. It's also a long walk to the elevators.
Just out of curiosity, are x44 rooms Opera Deluxe rooms?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:33 am

1) is it easy to use these 2 free nights certs at park hyatt sydney? i hope it is not as elusive as IC Thalasso in Bora Bora. i am visiting in late march 2017. plan to secure the 2 night stay in late dec, or as soon as i can meet minimum spend.

-> It's very easy to use them.
The certs book into Park King rooms, which the website doesn't sell under the normal cash rate, so not many people book Park King rooms, resulting in plenty of availability.

2) am i right that you need to call them up to apply these free night certs? i cant quite figure out how to do it online yet bc i only see the points or points+cash option

-> You can use the certs online.
Once you log in and search for your desired date, on the results page with the different payment options, you will see an option of using the certs.
Since the certs are good for 1 night each, just make sure you search for 1 night each time in order to see the certs option.

3) i guess i will get the lowest level room (aka standard room) with the 2 free night certs. what's the likelihood of (complimentary) upgrade? not a diamond status, but platinum only per status from chase CC

-> My only experience at the property was with diamond status, but from what I gathered on this thread, if you have any kind of status (diamond or plat), you will most likely get an upgrade.
Which room you will be upgraded into appears to be totally random though.
Some plats got upgraded to very nice rooms, and some diamonds got upgraded to not-as-nice rooms.
I got an impression that diamonds don't necessarily get better upgrades than plats.

Perhaps a philosophical question, but given #1 above (certs book into least desireable rooms with little chance of upgrade), should I even use the certs here (as only a platinum) versus staying at the Sheraton or Westin where I have full status?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Perhaps a philosophical question, but given #1 above (certs book into least desireable rooms with little chance of upgrade), should I even use the certs here (as only a platinum) versus staying at the Sheraton or Westin where I have full status?
Depends, do you want to look at a tree all day, and nothing else?

Unless you're Diamond (or returning, as some people have pointed out) I'd use the certs elsewhere.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Frindle
Depends, do you want to look at a tree all day, and nothing else?

Unless you're Diamond (or returning, as some people have pointed out) I'd use the certs elsewhere.

Thank you. Weighing staying at the PH for free and looking at a tree. Or paying to stay at the Shangri-La and have a view!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
I'm using the free certs there in March. Location looks good, it's free, and I'm ok with a tree. I am doing two one-night stays a week apart -- maybe I am being foolishly optimistic but I am still hoping I will not get the absolute worst possible room both times. And if I do, oh well, it is still a good hotel and free stay. Will report back...
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Good for you.... reports from people getting the worst rooms are few and far between...
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
Just out of curiosity, are x44 rooms Opera Deluxe rooms?
I have never had one myself, but I would assume so given they have clear opera views.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by penegal
I have never had one myself, but I would assume so given they have clear opera views.
I was in 340 and had a great view of the Opera House. -44 is farther away from the lobby and may have a bit of an obstructed view but shouldn't be bad at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.