Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Good work. Properties like this deserve to be punished by Hyatt for not delivering published benefits.
Hyatt won't punish them. Most likely employees will be admonished to be more discreet.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
Hyatt won't punish them. Most likely employees will be admonished to be more discreet.
Bingo!! (I always laugh a bit when FlyerTalkers actually think Hyatt/etc 'care' about this main issue.)
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:22 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
You're welcome to your opinions but as someone who once worked at the property I have insight into how Hyatt influences the property and the impact such a complaint to someone so senior would have.

Remember that properties have a contract with Hyatt they will be held to account on.

Even the post stay surveys carry prescribed actions and consequences based on the metrics.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:01 am

You're welcome to your opinions but as someone who once worked at the property I have insight into how Hyatt influences the property and the impact such a complaint to someone so senior would have.

Remember that properties have a contract with Hyatt they will be held to account on.

Even the post stay surveys carry prescribed actions and consequences based on the metrics.
This "iconic" property has a history of ignoring key parts of the HGP program. When was the last time (if ever) a Diamond was assigned the "best available, non-suite" room on an award stay? And, of course, DSUs (a major Diamond benefit) can't be used here. What's left-a free breakfast?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:50 am
Suspended

I don't disagree. That said, I do believe Hyatt cares the least about Diamond protocol.

There are a million in one issues that come 'before' the issues that are touched on in this forum.

And yes, I have a good friend who works there and I had dinner with staff a few weeks back.

For what it's worth, the VIEW is the only thing going for this property. Otherwise, I'm not a huge fan. Give me The Langham 10 out of 10 times, view or not.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Bingo!! (I always laugh a bit when FlyerTalkers actually think Hyatt/etc 'care' about this main issue.)
I'm pretty sure that the conversation is going to be "we should never discuss out loud the amount a guest paid for their hotel room, whether it's points or money."
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Frindle
I'm pretty sure that the conversation is going to be "we should never discuss out loud the amount a guest paid for their hotel room, whether it's points or money."
There's always s......ing going on. They won't be punished but just told to be more discreet.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

Most "economical" way to stay in PH Sydney?

Hi all,

I will be in Sydney for 4 nights in June with the girlfriend. I have heard and seen a lot of good reviews for the PHS. Having recently status matched to Hyatt Diamond, I was thinking of staying at PHS.

Regular room rates are roughly $700 a night(which is way more than I can afford...mid 20s with not much in the bank!). I thought about using cash and points. The 15k points + $300 a night is a lot on the cash perspective. I was curious why a cat. 6 needs only $150 cash where a cat. 7 property needs $300 =[.

Anyways. I think I have a couple options only.
C+P: 15k points + $300 a night. I'm Hyatt Diamond so that'll earn my some Hyatt points back?
Chase Hyatt CC: We both apply for the credit card and obtain 2 nights each. We will burn our 4 nights voucher at PHS. Are there any restrictions with the vouchers? blackout dates?
Buying Points: Is this worth it even with the 30% bonus that just ended last night...

Hopefully they treat Diamond members like VIPs and offer me something nice? Just want to make it as amazing as possible with the girl while we are there.

Thanks for the feedback FTers.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Two credit cards is the way forward. I'm not an expert but I think the free nights can be used any time there is standard room availability (i.e. whatever you could spend points on).

You could also try to find Best Rate Guarantee claims and get an extra 20% off any lower rate found. No DSU suites here though so there's less incentive to look for a paid rate...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by emofeng
Hopefully they treat Diamond members like VIPs and offer me something nice? Just want to make it as amazing as possible with the girl while we are there.

You're probably confusing diamond treatment with courtesy card treatment - very rarely will you (as a diamond) be treated like a VIP at aspirational properties unless you are in fact a VIP.

Good luck.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

Don't expect too much. This hotel has semi-opted out of HGP. No Diamond suite upgrades, no best available room on award stays, etc. But fairly good breakfast is included.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Don't expect too much. This hotel has semi-opted out of HGP. No Diamond suite upgrades, no best available room on award stays, etc. But fairly good breakfast is included.
We went in June on award stays and did get upgraded to Opera House Deluxe rooms. Think they treated us really well.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
We went in June on award stays and did get upgraded to Opera House Deluxe rooms. Think they treated us really well.
Nice. A view of the Opera House would be nice!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:27 pm

I'll definitely be looking forward to breakfast...seems like that's the only nice perk from PHS as a Diamond?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
You're fortunate. And June is not the cruise/tourist season so maybe the OP will have similar luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.