Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

When is the rocks food market? I'm approaching a four night stay and would love to hit that , the Saturday walking tour, a day of horse racing and dinner at Quay
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
When is the rocks food market? I'm approaching a four night stay and would love to hit that , the Saturday walking tour, a day of horse racing and dinner at Quay
Also make sure you go back to the proper Rocks market on Saturday as it's a different animal entirely.

There are maybe 6-8 stalls but it's all intricate, locally sourced stuff. Some examples from my photos are:

roast pork roll with slaw, apple sauce, gravy and crackling
roast pumpkin, feta cheese, baby spinach and walnuts with pesto dressing
miso glazed beef short rib roll with pickled daikon radish

9am - 3pm, Fridays

It's said that only good things happen on Fridays. In The Rocks it's all about good things you can eat and enjoy in the lovely Jack Mundey Place.

We all have to eat. So why not do it in the great outdoors? And while you're at it, stay longer to pick up flowers, fresh fruit, crusty bread, irresistible chocolate, olive oils, condiments and homewares as buskers coax laid-back tunes from guitars and banjos.

Wander down for gourmet wraps and burgers, barbecued salmon, lamb kebabs, Turkish gozleme and a whole range of Australian-made gourmet produce, and while you’re here, remind yourself how lucky you are to live in the best city on earth.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:41 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Guests should also walk around Hickson Road and grab lunch at Fratelli across from Pier 4 http://www.fratellifresh.com.au

N.B. The entire menu is in Italian.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I second m0hamed's recommendation for Fratelli. We did take-away there one night and ate it back in our room. Excellent food.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
And I was concerned there was no place nearby to eat... thanks for all the recommendations!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:40 pm

Just completed a stunning stay. The service was unmatched, especially from the concierge Jonathan and Charles. Opera view room was glorious, and the pool and breakfast area just really neat as well. Location was at the end of The Rocks, with dining nearby in the whole Rocks district, as well as the waterfront restaurants (of which Waterfront is one of them). I preferred the location more near Circular Quay, but it's really a ten minute walk, if that.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by joetro
Just completed a stunning stay. The service was unmatched, especially from the concierge Jonathan and Charles. Opera view room was glorious, and the pool and breakfast area just really neat as well. Location was at the end of The Rocks, with dining nearby in the whole Rocks district, as well as the waterfront restaurants (of which Waterfront is one of them). I preferred the location more near Circular Quay, but it's really a ten minute walk, if that.
Glad you had a good day - a bit chilly but nice and sunny.

Be sure to let us know how your stay goes.

I think someone earlier in the thread was asking about eating kangaroo, I've been past a place that looks really nice called Watts on Crown at 368 Crown St Surry Hills - it's not far from Billy Kwong's and a lot of good restaurants. One of their specials at the moment is roast saddle of kangaroo which I think would be a good way to cook it. The menu also has kangaroo sliders, might be a good way to sample 'roo if you're not too sure how you'd feel about it.

The place isn't very big, so it would probably be a good idea to book ahead, and ask what's on the menu. I haven't been there yet, if anyone should go I'd love to hear what it's like as it's in my neck of the woods. (For Sydneysiders, I only really noticed this place because I was walking past one evening and I saw a diner inside with a huge mop of platinum blonde hair and dangly ear-rings, I squinted at her and realised that it was Margaret Pomerantz)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:35 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
I second m0hamed's recommendation for Fratelli. We did take-away there one night and ate it back in our room. Excellent food.
I had no idea they did take away!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I had no idea they did take away!
Yup, we bought dinner there and a 1L bottle of soda from the wine store a few doors down and had a nice picnic back in the room. Did something similar at Sailor's Thai as well.

The best part of Jonathan's Rocks tour is being introduced to all of the pubs, bars, and eateries nearby that you might not otherwise discover.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:36 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by joetro
I'm sorry we simply don't want to hear about a stay that was positive enjoyable and well executed by all professional and polished team members
It against the terms and conditions of this site
If there aren't problems it simply isn't a true stay
Looking forward to my return!^
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Smile

+1
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

Am planning a trip to Sydney for a week burning some of my GP points and my priority club points. I'd like to save the better stay for the last half of the trip, so should I expect a better overall experience on a reward stay at the Hyatt as a diamond or at the Intercontinental as a royal ambassador?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:25 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by srodr
Am planning a trip to Sydney for a week burning some of my GP points and my priority club points. I'd like to save the better stay for the last half of the trip, so should I expect a better overall experience on a reward stay at the Hyatt as a diamond or at the Intercontinental as a royal ambassador?
That's a no brainer as Hyatt Gold Passport gives all benefits if you are elite on redemption and IHG Rewards PC points strips you of all earthly benefits
till you are naked on the street except for a pillow and towel Its within their rights according to the programs terms and conditions
And IC Sydney plays hardball with the written rules unlike many US based IC hotels that respect its membership base elites
If you aren't elite in either program then I guess it really wouldn't matter
All they are required to do is give a key to the room with a bed
I'm not a fan of the IC Sydney even on revenue. But at least then they cough up a bennie or two if you are paying

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 10, 2014 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodr

That's a no brainer as Hyatt Gold Passport gives all benefits if you are elite on redemption and IHG Rewards PC points strips you of all earthly benefits
till you are naked on the street except for a pillow and towel Its within their rights according to the programs terms and conditions
And IC Sydney plays hardball with the written rules unlike many US based IC hotels that respect its membership base elites
If you aren't elite in either program then I guess it really wouldn't matter
All they are required to do is give a key to the room with a bed
I'm not a fan of the IC Sydney even on revenue. But at least then they cough up a bennie or two if you are paying

Thanks for the info. I've usually received all RA benefits on award stays so I guess I've been lucky. If the Sydney IC gives nothing then perhaps I will reconsider burning 50k per night there. I still have an ambassador free night certificate, so perhaps we'll just do 2 nights there, assuming these will be considered paid nights?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Noisy Construction

As a heads up, there is some seriously noisy construction near the PH Sydney at the moment. From a note in my room upon arrival:

"We would like to advise that the Sydney Ports Corporation is carrying out extension works to the Overseas Passenger Terminal wharf at Circular Quay, directly across the hotel. During their construction hours, piling work may cause some noise and vibration."

"Some noise" is an understatement. Not sure when this ends, but it is super disruptive during work hours, which is 0800-1200 and 1400-1800.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.