Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
My last stay was fantastic in every way and inspiring
From the outstanding concierge, butler and front of the house
Everyone I interacted with was polished professional and friendly.

Yes there have been challenges in the restaurant with changing team members, chefs and managers. Menu too has been a work in progress too
IMHO its important to do the basics right besides a reasonably good omelet which they do well. Its the accompaniments that make the difference and of course attention to details/service and all else in or out of a Park Hyatt.

The really high expectations are set here by the unusually high pricing bar for revenue or redemption.
Every day is a different show in every hotel.
My last stay couldn't have been better.Every day is a different show with the same team or a different team and I certainly wont pass judgment as its been months since I have been here and always leave the hotel typically with a sense of gratitude about the property and my relationship with Hyatt
With all due respect, this sounds more like a romance than a hotel review. You are absolutely correct that the high rates this hotel demands set high expectations. And that should include the F&B (restaurant) side of the house too. Simply being nice and friendly doesn't do the trick at nearly $1,000 a night.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:46 am

Irrespective of the pricing, the point is this is a Park Hyatt. Hyatt tell us we should expect an "incomparable level of personalized service designed for the more discerning guest". The Park Hyatt Sydney is consistent in failing to deliver this.

It is a nice property but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JetAway
With all due respect, this sounds more like a romance than a hotel review. You are absolutely correct that the high rates this hotel demands set high expectations. And that should include the F&B (restaurant) side of the house too. Simply being nice and friendly doesn't do the trick at nearly $1,000 a night.
Hear your frustration and with all due respect right back.....
I've reviewed pretty extensively here in the past and I don't sugar coat unless appropriate.
Discussion negative or positive are appreciated by this poster and keeps me up to speed with my properties of choice/interest.
If service levels are clearly not what they should be or up to individual expectation on a given stay there are appropriate channels for that.
"Hyatt Consumer Affairs" and even the hotel management itself who takes seriously guest satisfaction in my past conversations
Other then that I have always past and present been transparent and critical when things fall far from the apple cart.
Many of us are typically seasoned travelers with higher expectations I'll assume in general.
Quite a number of us are top tier at Hyatt and other programs where we have been bombarded with great recognition/ experiences globally.
IMO we are a tougher group to wow/please/self included.
Lets not forget that for most the traveling public this is one of Sydney's top 5 hotels in the city and the ratings are typically 90% or higher in popularity and satisfaction for many

Other then that I don't write romance novels (unless I have a hidden talent) However I do recognize a great stay when I have had one.
This past Fall was clearly one such shining example.
I simply admire the team and management onboard and have no idea in months past if anything has changed.
I'll be back this calendar year and will stay more nights and form yet another opinion one way or the other.
A night or two capping off a journey to Sydney is simply a great way to depart Down Under after a trip Down under.
I always save it for last and the final send off. (End of Romance novel )
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by everywhere
Irrespective of the pricing, the point is this is a Park Hyatt. Hyatt tell us we should expect an "incomparable level of personalized service designed for the more discerning guest". The Park Hyatt Sydney is consistent in failing to deliver this.

It is a nice property but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.
And where is that insight coming from? And what is this 'consistent failure'?

I fully agree with the statement that they are delivering an 'incomparable level of personalized service designed for the more discerning guest' and I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Sydney many times. I actually just completed a stay there one week back.

If there is anything not to your satisfaction, raise it to management. They are very eager to identify and fix weak points as they want to deliver the best experience and justify the top dollars they are charging for staying there.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by SMK77

I fully agree with the statement that they are delivering an 'incomparable level of personalized service designed for the more discerning guest' and I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Sydney many times. I actually just completed a stay there one week back.

If there is anything not to your satisfaction, raise it to management. They are very eager to identify and fix weak points as they want to deliver the best experience and justify the top dollars they are charging for staying there.
Well said and agree ^
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:43 am

http://park.hyatt.com/en/parkhyatt/aboutus.html

If you read the most recent posts in this thread there are numerous examples of service failure. I have even posted about some myself.

I agree that management at the Park Hyatt Sydney are very good at appearing very eager to identify weak points. I do not find that they ever fix them however. I'll give the place another go...
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:56 am

All they have to do is read this thread. Perhaps some of you "regulars" could point them to it.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not really, all this thread does is show that there are a lot of people that have unrealistic expectations (mostly when staying on points), the hotel can be a bit stingy with (free) upgrades and sometimes things go wrong (like they do at every property)......
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Not really, all this thread does is show that there are a lot of people that have unrealistic expectations (mostly when staying on points), the hotel can be a bit stingy with (free) upgrades and sometimes things go wrong (like they do at every property)......
Most of the posters on FT are very well traveled and I give their comments and reviews much more credibility than something such as TAdvisor. But, yes, I suppose the hotel could find a convenient excuse to dismiss their views.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:51 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

...If there is anything not to your satisfaction, raise it to management. They are very eager to identify and fix weak points as they want to deliver the best experience and justify the top dollars they are charging for staying there.
This won't work if, as I believe to be the case at this hotel, the source of the problem IS management.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JetAway
Most of the posters on FT are very well traveled and I give their comments and reviews much more credibility than something such as TAdvisor.
Who said anything about TA?

And really, this thread has just about as much positive reviews than complants. Not so different than for most other properties..... And the most I see people here complain about us not getting the room they would like when staying on points.

I agree that management could address that issue but I can also see that they give priority to paying customers. More of the high demand properties have started doing that with all the cc points and Diamond trials.

I always wonder how long the PH Tokyo will keep their more than stellar performance for all those on redemption stays.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This won't work if, as I believe to be the case at this hotel, the source of the problem IS management.
I'm afraid I have to agree as I found the management weak. My wife and I have stayed here on a mixture of redemption and paid for stays and I have been a huge fan of the property. But our most recent stay was very poor and we did raise issues with management who said they would get back to us but never did.

If I contrast that to our stay at the PH Canberra where we had an excellent stay (our first) and zero problems.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by everywhere
If you read the most recent posts in this thread there are numerous examples of service failure. I have even posted about some myself.
In other words you have no first hand experience and are speculating.

The majority of your stays based on your contributions here have been at the Hilton and IC and you had one stay at the PHS in the days before NYE and your only comment was that the breakfast was not up to your expectations.

Isn't it a bit far stretched to conclude from your breakfast experience that there is a permanent failure and the world is coming to an end?

I have already identified some poster to warm up old stories from times before the renovation and would hence not take FT posts for granted either. Going through this thread again I don't find a large number of complaints here. You might want to take Tripadvisor posts with a pinch of salt but the Park Hyatt Sydney has an overwhelming number of outstanding reviews there.

Maybe you should just stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney for a second time and let us know after that stay? It's always good to base judgement on experience and FT loves valuable contributions.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:32 am

In other words you have no first hand experience and are speculating.

The majority of your stays based on your contributions here have been at the Hilton and IC and you had one stay at the PHS in the days before NYE and your only comment was that the breakfast was not up to your expectations.

Isn't it a bit far stretched to conclude from your breakfast experience that there is a permanent failure and the world is coming to an end?

I have already identified some poster to warm up old stories from times before the renovation and would hence not take FT posts for granted either. Going through this thread again I don't find a large number of complaints here. You might want to take Tripadvisor posts with a pinch of salt but the Park Hyatt Sydney has an overwhelming number of outstanding reviews there.

Maybe you should just stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney for a second time and let us know after that stay? It's always good to base judgement on experience and FT loves valuable contributions.
You know, it's only a hotel we're talking about here and not someone's child. All viewpoints are helpful, even yours.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:11 am

Thinking of spending new year here. Has anyone experienced the Service/Food at this hotel over NYE? I was looking at the meal in 'The Gallery'.

Regards,

Alex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.