Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
But there have been a couple of similar posts by TPG authors over the past year or so, where they bragged about getting comps at other Thai resorts (RC Samui and Naka Island) based on minor complaints.
If true then I fully agree that it shows a repeated pattern that should be frowned upon, rather than someone being grumpier than normal on a particular day and complaining too much about a minor issue.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I thought it was a bit harsh as well.

But there have been a couple of similar posts by TPG authors over the past year or so, where they bragged about getting comps at other Thai resorts (RC Samui and Naka Island) based on minor complaints. I suspect Sweatman is concerned TPG is encouraging poor behavior by TPG readers. And it is true the Thais are particularly susceptible to such bullying, which really ought to be discouraged.
The same author did both above mentioned reviews:

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/hot...amui-thailand/

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/the...uket-thailand/

We don't know if a theme/pattern is merging here as some of his complaints are legit. IMO, 5-star properties should have consistency in the soft product, solid hard product, and attention to details. At times, we do need "a junk yard dog" kind of a guest to set these shameless properties straight. Housekeeping time issue aside, if you don't complain, how would management get your feedback? And, how the situation get rectified? Especially if you are paying an arm and leg for your stay!

Just my thoughts @:-)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kalboz
The same author did both above mentioned reviews:

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/hot...amui-thailand/

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/the...uket-thailand/

We don't know if a theme/pattern is merging here as some of his complaints are legit. IMO, 5-star properties should have consistency in the soft product, solid hard product, and attention to details. At times, we do need "a junk yard dog" kind of a guest to set these shameless properties straight. Housekeeping time issue aside, if you don't complain, how would management get your feedback? And, how the situation get rectified? Especially if you are paying an arm and leg for your stay!

Just my thoughts @:-)
I've certainly complained when I felt there was a major service fail, and have received meaningful comp in a few instances. For less serious service fails, I might mention them on a post-stay survey or drop a star on the TA review. To me, the stuff he's complained about falls in the "less serious" category. I certainly would not be demanding to see a manager because they didn't make up my room when I wanted. And I recalling feeling the Naka Island stunt (parlaying a 15 minute delay into a Villa upgrade) was particularly egregious when I first read that review.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

I've certainly complained when I felt there was a major service fail, and have received meaningful comp in a few instances. For less serious service fails, I might mention them on a post-stay survey or drop a star on the TA review. To me, the stuff he's complained about falls in the "less serious" category. I certainly would not be demanding to see a manager because they didn't make up my room when I wanted. And I recalling feeling the Naka Island stunt (parlaying a 15 minute delay into a Villa upgrade) was particularly egregious when I first read that review.
I wonder who is learning from whom,TPG from DDers or DDers from TPG. They are all the same type, out to make a mountain out of a mole hill and to score and brag about what they were able to get
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:23 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
I personally never demanded a comp or a face off with any GM even though I have had my share of service/product shortcomings at properties that claim to be 5-stars. I recall staying in an Astor Suite at the St.R Bangkok when they first opened (January 2012) and there was a nauseating stink coming from the foyer's bathroom. I kept the door to that bathroom shut and prohibited the kids from going there. Really did not want to bother the staff for a move, upgrade, or comp. We were already well taking care of. I alerted front desk and I am sure housekeeping smelled the stink too. After 5 nights, we checked out and I again alerted the FD for the sake of the next guest. I did not demand anything as this was a 5-nights stay on points (paid 48K SPG points for a 5-night stay including my Plat benefits) and we got upgraded to the Metropolitan suite first and then further upgraded to this Astor Suite overlooking the polo club. We were very happy with the product and service (the breakfast at Viu was amazing at the time), and, thus, forgo from constant complain about this minor issue. It was a minor issue to us but I'm sure it would been a big deal for someone else. It's certainly subjective to state what is less serious issue than the next and seriousness (not talking about timely housekeeping in particular) differs from person to person. Having said that, 5-star doesn't only mean collecting 5-star rates but also providing 5-star service and product as I explained above.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Recall one morning I had the DnD light turned on, and the DnD tag hanging from the door know after a really early morning breakfast . I awoke a couple of hours later from my post breakfast coma (unlike the TPG review, actually I felt the fruit selection was very decent in the Embassy Restaurant buffet as a GLOB benefit), and housekeeping had passed by, and hung the "contact us if you wish to refresh your room" tag.

As soon as I removed my tag, and turned the DnD light off, they called to see if we wanted housekeeping service. Coincidence or proactive after seeing my sign turned off, who knows, but colour me impressed.

My overall experience was not perfect professional like the PH HND, or over the top proactive like at the PH DXB, but I find the Thai hospitality amazing overall. But I agree with an above poster mentioning the Thai hospitality are very susceptible to being bullied by the wrong type of clientele.

In my younger travel days in decades past, my ignorance, compelled me to "make a molehill out of nothing" strictly for some kind of remuneration big or small. Not proud of my behavior then,but thankfully it was more whiny than boorish. I was such a mea culpa douche.

There, I am not above reproach . Bottomline for me, great location, great people (Ms. Nina) service can be improved sure, but the people, them remembering me as a return client, and my corporate rate or C&P price will see me there again in spring for the 3rd straight year.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:07 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luvFclass

In my younger travel days in decades past, my ignorance, compelled me to "make a molehill out of nothing" strictly for some kind of remuneration big or small. Not proud of my behavior then,but thankfully it was more whiny than boorish. I was such a mea culpa douche.
This is part of the art of travel and tends to happen as we age "Don't sweat the small stuff."
luvFclass and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Recall one morning I had the DnD light turned on, and the DnD tag hanging from the door know after a really early morning breakfast . I awoke a couple of hours later from my post breakfast coma (unlike the TPG review, actually I felt the fruit selection was very decent in the Embassy Restaurant buffet as a GLOB benefit), and housekeeping had passed by, and hung the "contact us if you wish to refresh your room" tag.

As soon as I removed my tag, and turned the DnD light off, they called to see if we wanted housekeeping service. Coincidence or proactive after seeing my sign turned off, who knows, but colour me impressed.

My overall experience was not perfect professional like the PH HND, or over the top proactive like at the PH DXB, but I find the Thai hospitality amazing overall. But I agree with an above poster mentioning the Thai hospitality are very susceptible to being bullied by the wrong type of clientele.

There, I am not above reproach . Bottomline for me, great location, great people (Ms. Nina) service can be improved sure, but the people, them remembering me as a return client, and my corporate rate or C&P price will see me there again in spring for the 3rd straight year.
Unfortunately there are many a person who takes the complete opposite track, mainly they go out of their to find things not perfect or before arriving already know the down sides to things and that way they hope to profit,yes profit off their stay, they arent looking to be made whole but rather walk away profiting from it , so they arent looking for a small bone to be thrown but rather to have their stay comped and at times gain even more

On some sites the game is to outdo the others and claim King of the Hill all alone, cant help but think if they were the GM or owner that they would give complainers an ear full and send them away empty handed and telling them to please dont return
luvFclass likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by m0hamed
This is part of the art of travel and tends to happen as we age "Don't sweat the small stuff."
And value the personal relationships we can form at our favorite properties if we follow the golden rule
luvFclass likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: First Time Flyer
PH BKK or GHE?

@SQ421 has talked me into staying here, as it's superior in his opinion, but there are some mixed reviews. Hopefully it's improved now.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Odd stay here

Great check in - upgrade to exec suite. Great service at the happy hour. Good pool service. Fine food and okay prices.

Last night at property found a few roaches. Told front desk upon returning to room found a few more. Odd for 21st floor. Freaked the girlfriend out and turned us off to what would have been a great stay.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by footastic
Odd stay here

Great check in - upgrade to exec suite. Great service at the happy hour. Good pool service. Fine food and okay prices.

Last night at property found a few roaches. Told front desk upon returning to room found a few more. Odd for 21st floor. Freaked the girlfriend out and turned us off to what would have been a great stay.
Gross and this is a fairly brand new hotel too!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:59 am

Roaches in the room??? That is a major fail by the property. What was their response?

Post that on TA and I bet you get some action.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by footastic
Were they in the bathroom?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Hallway and closet is where we found them
cruisingmickey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.