Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:14 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Last time we had 2+1 registered in our room and were expecting an extra guest for the last night of the stay only. I was prepared to pay extra if they demanded it, I informed the hotel one extra guest was coming who would sleep in the living room of the suite. They said no problem. Perhaps it helped that the extra was a child (11 years old) not an adult, but nonetheless no problem encountered for us.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
At the PH specifically you will need to walk with your guest in between two desks for reception and the elevators, so it’s not a hotel I would pick if I was expecting unexpected company.
You can go to the Elevators that go up to penthouse and then ride back down to the rooms. Or walk down to Embassy Room/Pool and then go upstairs to the room. But the PH really isn’t a hotel for “discreet” visitations by local talent. Neither is PH TYO/SEL/PEK/PVG. Or make sure your visitor looks the part for the property and not stand out.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:18 am

You should never bring a "guest" back to your actual hotel room anyway. It's better to get a short time hotel to do the deed. Otherwise the next evening you might find your the old desk has made themselves comfortable waiting for you in the lobby.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:11 am

Completed a 6 night stay here that was mostly positive with one big mishap.

The negative first, I booked 6 nights through amex fhr on a stay 2, 3rd night free. It put the cash rate at $211 a night. I applied a globalist suite upgrade to book into a park deluxe suite. Upon arriving at 2am after a long day of travel from the states at check in there was a large difference in rates. They had me at a rate of about $500 a night. I showed my confirmation from Amex to check in staff showing the rate I had booked, they told me no one was on duty that could deal with it currently, which was understandable as it was 2am, and I would be contacted in the morning about it. I was never contacted so around noon the next day I contacted Amex and confirmed they had the same rate as me and they called the hotel and we're also told no one was available that could deal with it as they were all in a meeting and I would be contacted to resolve the issue after the meeting. I was once again not contacted. That night I went to the front desk and with my patience gone at that point yelled at people until I got a manager to deal with the issue. After about 20 minutes of causing a scene in the lobby a manager was finally bothered enough to leave his office and was easily able to see the large difference in rates. No apology was given and his main concern seemed to be getting me out of the lobby. He could see that the 3rd night free had disappeared and when the Tsu was applied the rate had been repriced to the suite. He had sent me back to my room and after about 20 minutes called up and confirmed the correct price with me. I understand mistakes happen but if you say you are going to contact me I expect to be contacted. I had been overcharged by $2500 and it felt like management was trying to just avoid dealing with the situation. Don't know if it was out of laziness or a attempt to pull a extra $2500 out of a western guest. Still have not heard anything from management other than the phone call up confirming the correct price which didn't even include a spoken apology. I have lost all respect for the general manager of this property and question the man's ethics. I wouldn't visit this property as a western tourist without confirming price in advance as the GM while visible during breakfast will run and hide instead of dealing with a issue and being overcharged $2500 is a pretty big issue in my book.

The positive now, and every part of my stay besides that snafu was positive. I received a one category upgrade that check in staff credited to FHR into a park executive suite. The suite was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. 22nd floor with great views looking in the direction of the Okura hotel next door. The room had a half bath upon entry, a separate living room with a dining table and a full size refrigerator and freezer. The main bathroom had a huge walk in rain shower, dual vanity and a large bathtub with a TV next to the full length windows. It was a amazing room. 10/10 hard product.

Park Executive Suite living room

Dirty bedroom, I meant to take more room pictures

The breakfast included both a hot and cold Buffett as well as a large menu to order off of. The Buffett items were rotated so we're slightly different each day, which was great. We ate our way through the menu as well and everything was spectacular. Cappuccino was great, my girlfriend tried more of the coffee options and loved everything she got. It was a very high quality breakfast, the service was great. We were not asked for our room number after the first day and the plentiful staff remembered our names. Plates were removed immediately once done and glasses never went empty. Breakfast was 10/10.

The pool was very nice. As with breakfast the service was great. One day it started raining as we were laying out and a employee came running over with a umbrella to usher us inside before we got wet. There was never more than a few other people at the pool so plenty of chairs. I had read complaints of it being too close to breakfast but it seems as the foliage planted has grown in and I felt like it was plenty private. There is a entrance to the pool next to the elevator so you don't have to walk through the public areas on the way to the pool.

Walkway to the pool

We booked a tour of the grand palace and some temples through the hotel for 4000 BHT a person and we're very happy with it. We were in a large van with both a tour guide who spoke good English and a driver. They provided water and cold towels in the van between stops which was pleasant. The tour lasted about 5 hours and I was pleased with the value of the tour. The price included our admission into all of the spots we went.

The afternoon tea was a chocolate theme and was beautiful. This may have been my girlfriends favorite part of the stay. It was the same staff as breakfast and service was equally as good. It was 1900 BHT per person. I was very full after and found the tea to be wonderful as well as the glass of Bollinger. This was a new experience for me and I enjoyed it and found it to be plenty of food to be a replacement for lunch.

Afternoon Tea

My girlfriend and I got a Thai massage together at the Panpuri spa inside the hotel. It was about $90 per person for a 90 minute massage. While I understand this is quite expensive for Bangkok the quality was incredible. I think we both felt it was the best massage we have ever had and it seemed like a steal in price compared to the massages we get at home in Park City. The facilities inside the spa were also quite nice.

The location of the hotel next to the BTS is ideal. This was my first time in Bangkok and I quickly learned the BTS is the way to get around and much faster to places than a car. Being connected to the mall was useful as there is a liquor store inside there that is much better to acquire alcohol at than the mini bar.

While not affiliated with the hotel, we used a service called washdrop to have our laundry done. I would highly recommend them. We dropped our laundry with the front desk, washdrop picked it up and than delivered it back to the front desk the next day. The front desk called the room and than brought it up upon delivery. Clothes were washed well and folded than packaged in plastic wrap. The service was 109 BHT per KG and worth every bit.

Despite the issues with management I found the hotel to be one of the nicest I have ever stayed at and the rest of the staff really made our stay memorable. I enjoyed Bangkok and found it much cleaner and nicer than I was expecting. I would definitely return again to the hotel. I would just make sure I had my rate confirmed before arriving to avoid that stress again. I understand mistakes happen and was more upset about being told I would be contacted than not being contacted on more than one occasion. The rest of the hotel staff was so amazing it's sad that the highest paid employees let everyone else down and turned a great stay into a good one.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:21 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Nice review, but I don’t think this has anything to do with being ‘Western.’

It’s a reservations and management fail that I would complain to WOH Consumer Affairs. You could also shorten and publish to TripAdvisor as well as fill in the Hyatt post stay survey.

I’ve been in a similar situation at a different hotel with FHR and AMEX also struggled to resolve with the hotel and the duty managers ignored me. I told them at checkout if they charged anything higher than what I agreed I would chargeback and the issue was resolved.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Skoolz60
Completed a 6 night stay here that was mostly positive with one big mishap.

The negative first, I booked 6 nights through amex fhr on a stay 2, 3rd night free. It put the cash rate at $211 a night. I applied a globalist suite upgrade to book into a park deluxe suite. Upon arriving at 2am after a long day of travel from the states at check in there was a large difference in rates. They had me at a rate of about $500 a night. I showed my confirmation from Amex to check in staff showing the rate I had booked, they told me no one was on duty that could deal with it currently, which was understandable as it was 2am, and I would be contacted in the morning about it. I was never contacted so around noon the next day I contacted Amex and confirmed they had the same rate as me and they called the hotel and we're also told no one was available that could deal with it as they were all in a meeting and I would be contacted to resolve the issue after the meeting. I was once again not contacted. That night I went to the front desk and with my patience gone at that point yelled at people until I got a manager to deal with the issue. After about 20 minutes of causing a scene in the lobby a manager was finally bothered enough to leave his office and was easily able to see the large difference in rates. No apology was given and his main concern seemed to be getting me out of the lobby. He could see that the 3rd night free had disappeared and when the Tsu was applied the rate had been repriced to the suite. He had sent me back to my room and after about 20 minutes called up and confirmed the correct price with me. I understand mistakes happen but if you say you are going to contact me I expect to be contacted. I had been overcharged by $2500 and it felt like management was trying to just avoid dealing with the situation. Don't know if it was out of laziness or a attempt to pull a extra $2500 out of a western guest. Still have not heard anything from management other than the phone call up confirming the correct price which didn't even include a spoken apology. I have lost all respect for the general manager of this property and question the man's ethics. I wouldn't visit this property as a western tourist without confirming price in advance as the GM while visible during breakfast will run and hide instead of dealing with a issue and being overcharged $2500 is a pretty big issue in my book.

The positive now, and every part of my stay besides that snafu was positive. I received a one category upgrade that check in staff credited to FHR into a park executive suite. The suite was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. 22nd floor with great views looking in the direction of the Okura hotel next door. The room had a half bath upon entry, a separate living room with a dining table and a full size refrigerator and freezer. The main bathroom had a huge walk in rain shower, dual vanity and a large bathtub with a TV next to the full length windows. It was a amazing room. 10/10 hard product.

Park Executive Suite living room

Dirty bedroom, I meant to take more room pictures

The breakfast included both a hot and cold Buffett as well as a large menu to order off of. The Buffett items were rotated so we're slightly different each day, which was great. We ate our way through the menu as well and everything was spectacular. Cappuccino was great, my girlfriend tried more of the coffee options and loved everything she got. It was a very high quality breakfast, the service was great. We were not asked for our room number after the first day and the plentiful staff remembered our names. Plates were removed immediately once done and glasses never went empty. Breakfast was 10/10.

Despite the issues with management I found the hotel to be one of the nicest I have ever stayed at and the rest of the staff really made our stay memorable. I enjoyed Bangkok and found it much cleaner and nicer than I was expecting. I would definitely return again to the hotel. I would just make sure I had my rate confirmed before arriving to avoid that stress again. I understand mistakes happen and was more upset about being told I would be contacted than not being contacted on more than one occasion. The rest of the hotel staff was so amazing it's sad that the highest paid employees let everyone else down and turned a great stay into a good one.
I had a similar experience with the GM when he was a hotel manager in Tokyo. I think he's a great behind the scenes manager but shies away when the going gets tough. I would definitely contact Consumers Affairs and report this incident. Property shouldn't try to ignore the situation and then just barely acknowledge their mistakes. It wasn't them trying to rip a foreigner off for more money.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 28, 2022 at 4:39 am
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Why would you book a 6 night stay through Amex? The same rate is available when booking with Hyatt directly and if FHR is your aim, the expensive FHR rate doesn't pay off over a stretch of six nights. Especially if you're already Globalist.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Why would you book a 6 night stay through Amex? The same rate is available when booking with Hyatt directly and if FHR is your aim, the expensive FHR rate doesn't pay off over a stretch of six nights. Especially if you're already Globalist.
Well you can double dip with AMEX (5x) and Hyatt points for one thing. And it is not always true that the 2/3 promotion is also available direct through Hyatt. And describing rate as "Expensive" when OP expressly stated it's a buy 2 get 3 promotion really doesn't wash. I have absolutely seen instances when the FHR rate is a better deal (particularly when you consider 5x MR points, which is between a 5 and 10% rebate).
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well you can double dip with AMEX (5x) and Hyatt points for one thing. And it is not always true that the 2/3 promotion is also available direct through Hyatt. And describing rate as "Expensive" when OP expressly stated it's a buy 2 get 3 promotion really doesn't wash. I have absolutely seen instances when the FHR rate is a better deal (particularly when you consider 5x MR points, which is between a 5 and 10% rebate).
Amex doesn't have Buy 2 Get 3 promotions that aren't available under Hyatt's own rate. To double dip, you would have to prepay the hotel. The FHR Rate is always more expensive than the lowest available rate as it's based on the Daily Rate.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a good stay here. Booked cheapest room through Prive, it was upgraded at booking to a deluxe, and then a couple days before arrival to a Park Suite. Prive benefit is $100 F&B credit, but alcohol is excluded, so I didn't use it (though they did take two minibar bottles of JW black off of my bill during the stay, so maybe they decided to let me use the credit on alcohol anyway?).

Breakfast quality was good and the service was also good - by the second day they all remembered me, and by the third everyone knew my name and what I liked.

Location is great, perfect to be connected to the mall and BTS directly.

Only hiccup - which could have been a total disaster - was that I had a 7am flight and requested an early morning wakeup call, which was never received. The agent who took the request understood what I was asking for and repeated it back to me, so it wasn't a communication issue. Fortunately the wakeup call was only a backup to my phone alarm, which worked fine.

Will return here on my next visit.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Aventine
I had a similar experience with the GM when he was a hotel manager in Tokyo. I think he's a great behind the scenes manager but shies away when the going gets tough. I would definitely contact Consumers Affairs and report this incident. Property shouldn't try to ignore the situation and then just barely acknowledge their mistakes. It wasn't them trying to rip a foreigner off for more money.
Recently had a similar experience at another property where the suite cash rate was charged. Had my concierge correct it post checkout.

Had contacted twitter support to apply - believe they missed the last step, to adjust the rate back down to the originally booked rate. This was never an issue before this year-ish that I expect will resolve in time as staff gets more familiar.

Point is - not sure if it's the property trying to rip anyone off. But the property should certainly have handled it better.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Staying now for 2N stay and will check out tomorrow. Two days before CI checked my App and saw Executive suite waiting for me only found out downgraded to Deluxe room during check in yesterday, complained and they offered to upgrade to suite next day and I refused, then they found out a King corner and I got key cards when I had afternoon tea at living room. I love this King corner which better suits me than Suite except no manual bidet and I don’t know why PH has no manual bidet toilet at rooms below suite while even Hyatt place/Courtyard/Aloft/Double tree and other boutique Bangkok hotels have, I’m not talking about the automatic ones like TOTO.

This is my second PH stay and so far have stayed 3 room types, Deluxe , Corner and Executive Suite and enjoy this hotel very much, superb service across board plus great breakfast. I had a few meals at both living room and penthouse Bar + Grill and the Thai food very delicious.

Will stay again, the only thing prevents me from booking is PH’s high room price, my PH’s corporate rate normally more than double that of Grand Hyatt Erawan and St. Regis, PH’s FHR rate is also more expensive than Waldorf Astoria, at least $100 above latter before tax and fees. I need Hyatt nights for globalist as I’m Amex Aspire diamond & will be life time Bonvoy Plat early next year and no desire to chase Titanium beyond 2023. So it’s dilemma.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Another thing anyone noticed that the steaming room is way too hot than all other hotels not only in Bangkok, which somehow is unbearable feel like being grilled. I can stay at other hotel steaming rooms at least 15 minutes but not even 3 minutes at PH's.

My personal observation regarding steaming and sauna in Bangkok is that they are very under utilized despite full booking, more often than not around 8pm to 9pm I'm the only guest in the sauna/steaming rooms, may it be PH, Grand Erawan or Waldorf, Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur too. Very interesting indeed and actually I like it :-)
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:47 am

Currently in house. While I very much like the design of the hotel, I find the traffic noise annoying. Not so audible during the day, but quite noticeable nearing bed time. :-(
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Currently in house. While I very much like the design of the hotel, I find the traffic noise annoying. Not so audible during the day, but quite noticeable nearing bed time. :-(
I hear you and the traffic noice too right now when I lowered the TV volume, I'm on the 20th floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.