Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Bangkok REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dcphlyer
The made-to-order dishes were very limited (maybe 4-5 options), but the rest of the menu literally just described what was already in the buffet.
That is not what has been reported. There are numerous reports that the full menu includes items such as pancakes and waffles which are not on the limited menu which is given to Globalists.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:59 pm

The hotel website posts the breakfast menu for the Embassy Room as this: https://bangkok.park.hyatt.com/conte...August2017.pdf.

Is this what Globalists have been getting?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, PR PE, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
The hotel website posts the breakfast menu for the Embassy Room as this: https://bangkok.park.hyatt.com/conte...August2017.pdf.

Is this what Globalists have been getting?
Its the Park Breakfast that you'll get.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:47 am

Here's the menu from the breakfast from our September stay. Looked like everyone received one page menu and it had pancakes, waffle, etc. Buffet had decent selection of hoot food like fried rice/noodle, dim sum, soup, etc as well. Hope this helps!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That seems to be the controversy here..... that Globs get the one page menu with a limited selection of the main menu.

Even with the normal menu they can still claim you only get a choice of one a la carte item in addition to the buffet. But it all seems rather silly and petty for a property that has so much pretensions in a market where service should be the first priority. That they continue this practice makes them untrustworthy as well after first denying the practice and then claiming to have abolished the single page menu.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:01 am

Breakfast

I just had a one day stay at the hotel. Regarding limited breakfast for globalist, I think it is a communication issue. I saw both the menus today and the larger menu simply had items listed from the buffet, which are available to everyone anyway. there wasn’t any fundemental difference between the two.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm currently staying in this hotel despite the poor reviews because I have more time than expected in Bangkok and because I feel a performing Park Hyatt better meets my needs than any other comparable luxury hotel brand, from the Four Seasons to the St Regis or a Langham. It's important to have no regrets in life, but this is not a good hotel, nor do I expect it is possible for it to ever become one. It does not fit in the Park Hyatt portfolio and I'd personally like to see it de-branded.

Park Hyatts in my experience stand out for three reasons: a modern, appealing design, high quality throughout and most of all excellent personalized service. This hotel fails strongly along at least two of the dimensions and doesn't do too great along the third:
Design: The hotel does more or less look like a Park Hyatt. It has neither the timeless elegance of Tokyo, nor the modernity of Beijing, but it does look Park Hyatt-ish, even if most of the public areas look rather generic and poorly conceived. People have complained about the room size which I understand - I'm in a Deluxe Room of about 40sqm, but it has the bathroom, powder room, extended shower, walk-in closet of a much larger room. The "core" bedroom itself is probably only about 16sqm which is a bit on the cozy side for a luxury hotel. I had even worse in a corner room in the St Regis San Francisco recently, but size is not a strong point here.
Quality: Everything in the hotel feels a bit cheap compared to what you normally expect in a Park Hyatt. There are already splotches on the chair, marks on the carpet and scuff marks on all the furniture. It looks a bit as if someone has bought furniture designed for homes rather than hotel use. The fridge is so loud I had to unplug it. Air conditioning does not seem to be centrally controlled, but it is only just comfortable at the lowest setting of 19 degrees, despite it only being 22 outside. I wanted to spend a lot of time by the pool, but according to the pool attendant it is unheated meaning it is going to be unusable a minimum 3-4 months a year (It's currently 18 degrees - well below the minimum 21 degrees for human health and 28 degrees for comfort). As others have reported the lobby sometimes smells of sewage, and arriving at the hotel last night our taxi had to carefully navigate past a pile of garbage bags which were partially blocking the route into the hotel.
Service: There is no evidence of the distinctive Park Hyatt service levels and plenty of evidence of very poor management. Check-in was described by my girlfriend as "weird" and felt rather off. I asked whether I could perhaps have a 1pm late check-out a couple of days later and was immediately told that that would be absolutely impossible - Sometimes it's impossible, but this was really badly communicated and I am pretty confident was just out of laziness rather than need. There are also really weird signs that things aren't ok: when the pool attendant took my hotel number he wrote it in pen on his hand to remember, and when housekeeping left a "we missed you" note on the door, they'd reused a note from the day before, simply crossing out the room number and details and writing over the top. Like, ...?

I would probably not visit this hotel again even if it was 3,000Bht a night, but at 8,500 for a base room it is utterly unjustifiable. I'd arrived here from a balcony room at the flawless Peninsula which I found for 6,500Baht (best value in the city?) and a Deluxe Room at the lovable SGS which was only 5,000. Customers seem to be almost exclusively Chinese so perhaps they are paying lower rates and culturally have different expectations, but I can't think of any reason to recommend the Park Hyatt Bangkok to anyone. Do not go here under any circumstances.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I can't think of any reason to recommend the Park Hyatt Bangkok to anyone. Do not go here under any circumstances.
Thanks for the warning/reminder.

The room rates here continue to drop. Initially a minimum of 10,000 THB now regularly available for 7500 THB (or even less).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:41 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I'm currently staying in this hotel despite the poor reviews because I have more time than expected in Bangkok and because I feel a performing Park Hyatt better meets my needs than any other comparable luxury hotel brand, from the Four Seasons to the St Regis or a Langham. It's important to have no regrets in life, but this is not a good hotel, nor do I expect it is possible for it to ever become one. It does not fit in the Park Hyatt portfolio and I'd personally like to see it de-branded.

Park Hyatts in my experience stand out for three reasons: a modern, appealing design, high quality throughout and most of all excellent personalized service. This hotel fails strongly along at least two of the dimensions and doesn't do too great along the third:
Design: The hotel does more or less look like a Park Hyatt. It has neither the timeless elegance of Tokyo, nor the modernity of Beijing, but it does look Park Hyatt-ish, even if most of the public areas look rather generic and poorly conceived. People have complained about the room size which I understand - I'm in a Deluxe Room of about 40sqm, but it has the bathroom, powder room, extended shower, walk-in closet of a much larger room. The "core" bedroom itself is probably only about 16sqm which is a bit on the cozy side for a luxury hotel. I had even worse in a corner room in the St Regis San Francisco recently, but size is not a strong point here.
Quality: Everything in the hotel feels a bit cheap compared to what you normally expect in a Park Hyatt. There are already splotches on the chair, marks on the carpet and scuff marks on all the furniture. It looks a bit as if someone has bought furniture designed for homes rather than hotel use. The fridge is so loud I had to unplug it. Air conditioning does not seem to be centrally controlled, but it is only just comfortable at the lowest setting of 19 degrees, despite it only being 22 outside. I wanted to spend a lot of time by the pool, but according to the pool attendant it is unheated meaning it is going to be unusable a minimum 3-4 months a year (It's currently 18 degrees - well below the minimum 21 degrees for human health and 28 degrees for comfort). As others have reported the lobby sometimes smells of sewage, and arriving at the hotel last night our taxi had to carefully navigate past a pile of garbage bags which were partially blocking the route into the hotel.
Service: There is no evidence of the distinctive Park Hyatt service levels and plenty of evidence of very poor management. Check-in was described by my girlfriend as "weird" and felt rather off. I asked whether I could perhaps have a 1pm late check-out a couple of days later and was immediately told that that would be absolutely impossible - Sometimes it's impossible, but this was really badly communicated and I am pretty confident was just out of laziness rather than need. There are also really weird signs that things aren't ok: when the pool attendant took my hotel number he wrote it in pen on his hand to remember, and when housekeeping left a "we missed you" note on the door, they'd reused a note from the day before, simply crossing out the room number and details and writing over the top. Like, ...?

I would probably not visit this hotel again even if it was 3,000Bht a night, but at 8,500 for a base room it is utterly unjustifiable. I'd arrived here from a balcony room at the flawless Peninsula which I found for 6,500Baht (best value in the city?) and a Deluxe Room at the lovable SGS which was only 5,000. Customers seem to be almost exclusively Chinese so perhaps they are paying lower rates and culturally have different expectations, but I can't think of any reason to recommend the Park Hyatt Bangkok to anyone. Do not go here under any circumstances.
I could not agree with you more. Surprised you didn't mention the lack of noise insulation due to the choice of not double glazing the windows.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The other stuff is just horrible but the checkout time?!
That isn't an unreasonable request at all. A measly hour past normal checkout.
Srisarin likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I hear what you are saying. Given my review from late August, I do not disagree with you, although I think you are a bit on the harsh side. You would not return for 3k THB? Personally I would return if the price drops below 5k THB but it is nowhere near this level at the moment.

Just because of the location, loads of people would go at 3k THB no matter how lacking the service is. Heck this is the price level of the newly opened Hyatt Place. The PH has some flaws, some major ones, but you won't see me choosing HP over PH for the same price. I realize that maybe you would never consider going to HP at 3k THB either, so perhaps your statement that you won't go to PH for 3k THB again remains valid and correct regardless of the comparison with HP.

Fully agreed about the re-branding at some point.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Poor air-conditioning totally kills it for me. Thanks for the review.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
You would not return for 3k THB? Personally I would return if the price drops below 5k THB but it is nowhere near this level at the moment.
I'm with EuropeanPete here. It takes me 20 hours of air travel to get to Bangkok. I care much more about experience than saving money. Not going to waste my time at a property with subpar product and poor service just to save a few baht. I'd rather pay more at one of the many excellent Bangkok properties. So for my next trip I'm paying for a suite at SGS rather than burning points at PH.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:11 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm with EuropeanPete here. It takes me 20 hours of air travel to get to Bangkok. I care much more about experience than saving money. Not going to waste my time at a property with subpar product and poor service just to save a few baht. I'd rather pay more at one of the many excellent Bangkok properties. So for my next trip I'm paying for a suite at SGS rather than burning points at PH.
Makes sense in your situation, yes. On my side it is a bit different though. In 2017 I had 11 stays and 26 nights in Bangkok and probably even more than that in 2015-2016 so I enjoy mixing it up a bit. I like to compare different properties and usually every place has different strengths. I probably won't return to PH for 7k+ but if the price drops I will consider it for at least one or more of my 10-15 stays per year.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I'm sticking with the Grand Hyatt, even if rates fall below what the gh is charging. The club lounge is superb and the staff are top notch. Sounds like the ph owners are gonna bleed money on this for a long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.