Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Award Nights Expiring - a sad story

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

We are traveling to Australia and New Zealand. We were supposed to have already left for Hong Kong for a few days, and then continue on to New Zealand. Unfortunately, my 3.5-year-old got sick on Friday. We were able to shift the whole trip back a day. Then another day... But he's still sick. We probably will now leave on Wed. And will have to skip HK. And my award nights are expiring tomorrow.

Since you are the people that would understand, I had to share.

We are going to be stuck again because my wife's 2 nights are expiring at the end of Feb. But the Sydney Hyatt isn't taking reservations until the 13th. So we will be in Sydney for a few days when we arrive but will not be able to use those either.

Last edited by emaij; Jan 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:59 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Oh no! That is horrible. I absolutely feel your pain on kiddos getting sick when it comes time to travel. Any chance of doing Hong Kong on the back end of your trip and using your wife's nights there?

Hopefully at least you can find a way to use them somewhere nice before the end of Feb. Hope your kiddo feels better soon and you enjoy your travels as much as possible.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

We are not returning until March, as it stands right now. And given that we are losing days on this end of the trip, we probably are not going to want to cut it short on the other end of the trip.

We could fly to Maui tomorrow to use all the nights... but Alex isn't well yet. And even a 5 hour flight could be rough for him.

We probably will fly back from Sydney, at which point the Sydney Hyatt will be open... but my wife's nights will have expired at that point.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Sorry to hear this However, why don't you salvage the free nights by at least trying to book a stay at the PH Aviara which should be pretty close to home. Not exactly ideal but at least you'll salvage some use out of it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I did consider the Aviara... which not far from here. But with a sick 3.5-year-old, I don't think it would be much fun. Home is probably the best place to be... even with free nights expiring.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by emaij
I did consider the Aviara... which not far from here. But with a sick 3.5-year-old, I don't think it would be much fun. Home is probably the best place to be... even with free nights expiring.
Where else in Australia are you going, there are Hyatts in several cities (albeit nothing on the level of the PH SYD)?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

We were primarily planning on traveling through New Zealand and perhaps a couple of islands - Cook Islands, New Caledonia, Papeete...

Sydney just made sense because we got a great flight LAX-SYD-LAX. And the Sydney Hyatt is... well, you know what it is.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:49 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Agreed, until he is better, going somewhere would be more trouble than it's worth. Fingers crossed that tomorrow is better than today for you all!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Ugh. I feel the pain. I had some points expire last year I could do nothing with and it was physically painful for me. Free nights lost would be even more so.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
We are traveling to Australia and New Zealand. We were supposed to have already left for Hong Kong for a few days, and then continue on to New Zealand. Unfortunately, my 3.5-year-old got sick on Friday. We were able to shift the whole trip back a day. Then another day... But he's still sick. We probably will now leave on Wed. And will have to skip HK. And my award nights are expiring tomorrow.

Since you are the people that would understand, I had to share.

We are going to be stuck again because my wife's 2 nights are expiring at the end of Feb. But the Sydney Hyatt isn't taking reservations until the 13th. So we will be in Sydney for a few days when we arrive but will not be able to use those either.
Would it help to call Hyatt and explain the situation? Would the extend the expiration date?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I did call. So far no luck.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:17 pm

Tweet them.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

ooo I hadn't thought of that.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take it easy - these are only free nights from cc. Unfortunate but not for example as bad as nonrefundable tickets or priceline stays.
Last year we had 3 spg resort nights expire because of family emergency. A year before it was 1 or 2 intercontinental nights because of work schedule conflicts.
Bummer but you 'll apply for another card and get more points. Easy come easy go.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Possible Happy Ending

I received a message from the manager of Gold Passport. I will be given extra time, in light of the circumstances. Once Alex is feeling better, we can figure out if and when we will be able to use the nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.