FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vend-me-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

Frequent_Flyer1 Sep 22, 2013 3:16 am

According to this news article, around 60 housekeeping and valet staff went on strike yesterday at the PH:

"The staff, for the most part sub-contractors for service agency La Française de Service, are demanding pay rises, better working conditions and to become become employees of the Hyatt Group." - Link

mochi0172 Sep 22, 2013 5:44 am

I stayed here the past week and witnessed the demonstration. The hotel says the conflict is between their subcontractor and their employees.

farwest101 Sep 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mochi0172 (Post 21484491)
I stayed here the past week and witnessed the demonstration. The hotel says the conflict is between their subcontractor and their employees.

Are they picketing non stop? Or was it a photo-op?

mochi0172 Sep 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 21485892)

Was just for half a day as far as I was aware.

edgewood49 Sep 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by mochi0172 (Post 21486240)
Was just for half a day as far as I was aware.

MOST LIKELY "PHOTO OP" oh the French unions !

Richklhs Sep 22, 2013 9:33 pm

The wife and I stayed here for two nights last week on my 2 free nights in a suite off the credit card. We were upgraded to an executive suite, which ended up being an odd kind of room.

We had a sitting room and bedroom, separated by a sliding door, each room had its own full bath. There were also two doors going into the hallway, one from each room which said 519 and the other said 521. Did they just combine two rooms into one and call it an executive suite?

Besides the odd room, it was a lovely stay in a great location. Our room was not ready the minute we got there so they gave us two 13 euro cappacinos while we waited. Nothing particualrly all inspiring or overwhelming to make it a top hotel in Europe, but definitely a nice place. The concierge was probably the best part as he helped my wife and I out several times with museum tickets to avoid lines and dinner reservations. I'd never pay $1000 a night to stay there, but free was awesome.

SPLP007 Sep 23, 2013 1:50 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49 (Post 21482596)
I happened to do a little research on her and the blog post she has made. I can tell you for someone in the travel business she does not seem to be ver impressed with anything and or a negative person. I find this interesting as she is in the travel business and should be more upbeat than she appears to be.

I read her blog often , she is unlike most bloggers , not overly enthusiastic about many things --yet -- I think she does a good job and is not influenced by a "name place" and feels she must go along with the crowd. She is more picky about some things ( mostly food ) but in the end ,she is honest and I trust her info realizing, everyone has a different level of expectations

sfvoyage Sep 23, 2013 2:24 am

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 21485892)

There was peaceful but spirited picketing on both Saturday and Sunday afternoons, with quite a few people, noise-making and leaflet-distribution.

Housekeeping - not normally a strength at this property - dipped way down in quality: more items unreplaced (not just toiletries, but room service items such as tea and bottled water); wrong items delivered; requests that took 3 phone calls and more than a hour to appear; cleaning rag left behind in room (with windows left opened), etc.

I do hope the hotel reached an amicable agreement with the housekeepers soon.

sfvoyage Sep 23, 2013 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Richklhs (Post 21487878)
The wife and I stayed here for two nights last week on my 2 free nights in a suite off the credit card. We were upgraded to an executive suite, which ended up being an odd kind of room.

We had a sitting room and bedroom, separated by a sliding door, each room had its own full bath. There were also two doors going into the hallway, one from each room which said 519 and the other said 521. Did they just combine two rooms into one and call it an executive suite?

I've stayed in this type of room and agree that it is an odd sort of suite. I've also stayed in another type of executive suite that's configured more properly - it's still basically two rooms combined, but it offers a real living room (with a guest bathroom), joined to the bedroom by a long, double closet. The master bathroom has a shower room that doubles as a steam room. (Curiously, in this room, the in-room safe operates with a big old-fashioned key instead of an electronic keypad.)

edgewood49 Sep 23, 2013 7:21 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 21488488)
I read her blog often , she is unlike most bloggers , not overly enthusiastic about many things --yet -- I think she does a good job and is not influenced by a "name place" and feels she must go along with the crowd. She is more picky about some things ( mostly food ) but in the end ,she is honest and I trust her info realizing, everyone has a different level of expectations

I agree with you in part, but still feels she has a way of possibly influencing people into making a not so good decision's when it comes to travel and I agree we all have our own opinions, just the way she goes about it.

But good point never the less

Outbreak187 Sep 23, 2013 10:08 am

Possible stay next month

Hello Everyone!

Just trying to figure out my stay in Paris next Month. Going to a trade show in Dusseldorf Germany but will extend my stay and drive down to Paris. I will probably stay there from Oct, 23 through 26th. Stay a night outside of Paris 26-27th. Drive back up to Brussels and stay there for a night. Fly back on the 28th.

So here are some questions:

I have never stayed at Hyatt with my Gold Passport card (which I opened a month ago). Right now I have roughly 94K in my UR accounts. I will transfer that and try to book PHV for 3 nights (66K). Will I have any issues? How much would an upgrade cost me?

Also, I will have to park my rental somewhere within walking distance from the hotel that would not break my bank. Any Thoughts?

I appreciate it!

hobo13 Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm

We're considering using the credit card free nights here. As a Diamond, what suite am I most likely to get? We have an infant (under 2) and a toddler, along with my wife and I. I know Paris hotels get picky about fire codes and whatnot, so I'm trying to figure out if a credit card night suite will accommodate us. Thanks.

Also, we would use points for the 3rd night. Assuming they don't let us stay in the suite, would we be upgraded to a room that would be legal for the 4 of us?

(Note, we're fine with small rooms. I only asking about the policies and rules, not comfort!)

sam_goh Sep 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13 (Post 21517549)
We're considering using the credit card free nights here. As a Diamond, what suite am I most likely to get? We have an infant (under 2) and a toddler, along with my wife and I. I know Paris hotels get picky about fire codes and whatnot, so I'm trying to figure out if a credit card night suite will accommodate us. Thanks.

Also, we would use points for the 3rd night. Assuming they don't let us stay in the suite, would we be upgraded to a room that would be legal for the 4 of us?

(Note, we're fine with small rooms. I only asking about the policies and rules, not comfort!)

Unfortunately you get the park exec suite which is max occupancy 3. The next tier up, the ambassador still has max occupancy 3 if you do get upgraded (much less likely). Takes the diplomatic to house 4. This property seems to be very picky indeed about occupancy. We are facing the same issues with 2 kids.

They also have no regular rooms that are legal for 4.

RTW1 Sep 28, 2013 1:55 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21517764)
This property seems to be very picky indeed about occupancy.

Excuse them for simply complying with regulations......

farwest101 Sep 28, 2013 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 21517764)
Unfortunately you get the park exec suite which is max occupancy 3. The next tier up, the ambassador still has max occupancy 3 if you do get upgraded (much less likely). Takes the diplomatic to house 4. This property seems to be very picky indeed about occupancy. We are facing the same issues with 2 kids.

They also have no regular rooms that are legal for 4.

Well, you can always stuff the kids in the luggage and smuggle them in;)