Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

MOD NOTE: Older Reviews and Comments on This Property May Be Found At http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-8-2011-a.html

Just returned from our first trip to Paris and first stay at PHV. What a great hotel; room was beautiful (Park King Deluxe), hotel staff was fantastic, and the location can't be beat. We ended up taking a cab both ways - came to around 46 Euro each way. Would like to use try the Roissy bus on our next trip, saw it around town several times. Hopefully, I'll be play on the next trip and get to experience the much raved about breakfast.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinasaur
A question that I've been meaning to ask for a while:

We had a lovely stay at PH Vendome back in the spring. I sent two of the hotel stationery postcards back to the states, taking advantage of the front desk's offer to mail them without my needing to purchase postage. They both arrived within a week... without any post markings of any kind.

Has anyone else experienced this? How was my mail delivered? Was a fluke? Owl post?
Hi Dinasaur and welcome to FT! I am guessing it was a lucky fluke.

But while we're on the topic of your post, if you had magic at your disposal, why the heck should you require owls to move the mail?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Another vote for Roissybus. Drivers even have a variety of alternative routes which they can use to get around Paris traffic. It's a good service, reasonably priced. I'd generally pick it over the RER.
I would add a vote for the Roissy bus but leave ample time for not only traffic on the way to CDG but for the fact that CDG isn't the most efficient airport to navigate through.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I would add a vote for the Roissy bus but leave ample time for not only traffic on the way to CDG but for the fact that CDG isn't the most efficient airport to navigate through.
Second that. CDG makes JFK feel like Changi.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question conc3erning French Open

My wife and I might want to visit the PHV on points for a few nights (likely three) toward the end of next May. The French Open starts on May 27. We might have a bit of wiggle room in terms of our schedule, departing as early Saturday, May 26 or as late as Monday, May 28. I understand from a couple of posts on this thread that the hotel can be quite crowded due to the guests coming to see the Open. In terms of getting a chance at better rooms beyond the standard (using points or $$) or any other perks, does anyone have any sense of whether it would make more sense to shoot for May 23-26 as opposed to May 25-28? Or is any difference not worth planning our schedule around?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at this hotel, unknowingly, during the French Open -- I only realized it when I saw Tsonga checking out the day after he lost -- and it seemed to me that the suites weren't all taken, if for no other reason than I got one. So I'd say you have a chance.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Hi Dinasaur and welcome to FT! I am guessing it was a lucky fluke.

But while we're on the topic of your post, if you had magic at your disposal, why the heck should you require owls to move the mail?

Thanks for the welcome! It's just too weird to me that two separate postcards both made it through. We may never know (until the next PH Vendome stay!) I have an upcoming stay at the PH Milan, so I'll be giving their mail services a try as well, for sure.

...I'm putting way too much thought into your question about owls and magic! I have some theories, but none of them are remotely on-topic, so I'll have to let it go.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed.
How does one get 'Upgrades ahead of time"?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:58 am

Award Night with Child

Has anyone booked a room on points for 2 adults and a child (3yo)?
The hotel said it would be fine via email, but GP will only book a suite with points. But GP also told me that no normal rooms were available at all (completely wrong, called them out on it).
I would go for a suite, but the base level suite isn't worth the extra 33K IMO (its only marginally bigger, no extra amenities). They allow a kid in the standard room type for revenue bookings, albeit with a surcharge. The GP agent called the hotel, and they said that the room wouldn't fit three. The call to the hotel only took one minute. I was thinking of calling again, but I hate being that guy. Anyone here have experience with kids here?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Has anyone booked a room on points for 2 adults and a child (3yo)?
The hotel said it would be fine via email, but GP will only book a suite with points. But GP also told me that no normal rooms were available at all (completely wrong, called them out on it).
I would go for a suite, but the base level suite isn't worth the extra 33K IMO (its only marginally bigger, no extra amenities). They allow a kid in the standard room type for revenue bookings, albeit with a surcharge. The GP agent called the hotel, and they said that the room wouldn't fit three. The call to the hotel only took one minute. I was thinking of calling again, but I hate being that guy. Anyone here have experience with kids here?
The Deluxe Rooms and above should be fine for two adults and one child in a roll away bed.

I suggest calling directly to the property and speaking with the reservations department.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Just finished a 4 night award stay (8/21-8/25). Used my 2 chase suite night awards, and points for the other 2 nights.

I was given the park suite king for all for nights (without asking), and the front desk was well versed on breakfast for Diamonds (I had read some mixed experiences in this thread). They made it clear (without me asking) that I could order the american breakfast in the room, or visit the buffet downstairs. As others have stated, it was excellent.

They mentioned that there was construction going on, but I did not hear or see anything at all during my stay.

All of the staff were friendly and spoke perfect English. To confirm another point discussed in this thread, I don't feel that I was treated any differently for being an award guest vs a paying guest...I couldn't have been any happier with my stay.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The Deluxe Rooms and above should be fine for two adults and one child in a roll away bed.

I suggest calling directly to the property and speaking with the reservations department.
I called back to Gold Passport to just book a suite award (even though it's a waste at 33K, looks like it's just a regular room with a couch). The agent said it would be no problem to book a standard room and have a crib/rollaway. But of course when I got the confirmation, it's for 2 adults, 0 children. I realize now it says in the room descriptions "no rollaway", but good ol' "usable.net" makes that impossible to see on a mobile device.
Luckily when I tried to book my Air Tahiti Nui tickets (after my invalid reservation) they had spelled my wife and son's names wrong, so I'm waiting for that to get done still. So I'll most likely just not add on a quick Paris trip. I have a feeling my type is not wanted at this hotel.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by krazieman
Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?
As I recall, they brought us a 375 ml bottle of red wine and a small box of chocolates on the first or second night of our trip. We did not mention anything. I would give it the evening and then ask about it the next morning. I am surprised they made you wait until 3 PM to check-in, especially in August which is a very slow month for Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.