FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-paris-park-vendome-reviews-master-thread-8-2011-forwards.html)

AVIZ Aug 18, 11 10:48 pm

Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards
 
MOD NOTE: Older Reviews and Comments on This Property May Be Found At http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-8-2011-a.html

Just returned from our first trip to Paris and first stay at PHV. What a great hotel; room was beautiful (Park King Deluxe), hotel staff was fantastic, and the location can't be beat. We ended up taking a cab both ways - came to around 46 Euro each way. Would like to use try the Roissy bus on our next trip, saw it around town several times. Hopefully, I'll be play on the next trip and get to experience the much raved about breakfast.

RichardInSF Aug 19, 11 12:44 am


Originally Posted by dinasaur (Post 16943149)
A question that I've been meaning to ask for a while:

We had a lovely stay at PH Vendome back in the spring. I sent two of the hotel stationery postcards back to the states, taking advantage of the front desk's offer to mail them without my needing to purchase postage. They both arrived within a week... without any post markings of any kind.

Has anyone else experienced this? How was my mail delivered? Was a fluke? Owl post?

Hi Dinasaur and welcome to FT! I am guessing it was a lucky fluke.

But while we're on the topic of your post, if you had magic at your disposal, why the heck should you require owls to move the mail?

speedytimmy Aug 20, 11 9:25 am


Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16936378)
Another vote for Roissybus. Drivers even have a variety of alternative routes which they can use to get around Paris traffic. It's a good service, reasonably priced. I'd generally pick it over the RER.

I would add a vote for the Roissy bus but leave ample time for not only traffic on the way to CDG but for the fact that CDG isn't the most efficient airport to navigate through.

Pickles Aug 20, 11 12:33 pm


Originally Posted by speedytimmy (Post 16958988)
I would add a vote for the Roissy bus but leave ample time for not only traffic on the way to CDG but for the fact that CDG isn't the most efficient airport to navigate through.

Second that. CDG makes JFK feel like Changi.

Thunderroad Aug 21, 11 5:13 pm

Question conc3erning French Open
 
My wife and I might want to visit the PHV on points for a few nights (likely three) toward the end of next May. The French Open starts on May 27. We might have a bit of wiggle room in terms of our schedule, departing as early Saturday, May 26 or as late as Monday, May 28. I understand from a couple of posts on this thread that the hotel can be quite crowded due to the guests coming to see the Open. In terms of getting a chance at better rooms beyond the standard (using points or $$) or any other perks, does anyone have any sense of whether it would make more sense to shoot for May 23-26 as opposed to May 25-28? Or is any difference not worth planning our schedule around?

Thanks for any advice!

Firewind Aug 21, 11 5:42 pm

Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. :)

RichardInSF Aug 21, 11 10:58 pm

I've stayed at this hotel, unknowingly, during the French Open -- I only realized it when I saw Tsonga checking out the day after he lost -- and it seemed to me that the suites weren't all taken, if for no other reason than I got one. So I'd say you have a chance.

dinasaur Aug 23, 11 9:37 pm


Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16951576)
Hi Dinasaur and welcome to FT! I am guessing it was a lucky fluke.

But while we're on the topic of your post, if you had magic at your disposal, why the heck should you require owls to move the mail?


Thanks for the welcome! It's just too weird to me that two separate postcards both made it through. We may never know (until the next PH Vendome stay!) I have an upcoming stay at the PH Milan, so I'll be giving their mail services a try as well, for sure.

...I'm putting way too much thought into your question about owls and magic! I have some theories, but none of them are remotely on-topic, so I'll have to let it go.

cazic99 Aug 24, 11 12:58 pm


Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 16966498)
Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. :)

How does one get 'Upgrades ahead of time"?

tjbrooks Aug 27, 11 12:58 pm

Award Night with Child
 
Has anyone booked a room on points for 2 adults and a child (3yo)?
The hotel said it would be fine via email, but GP will only book a suite with points. But GP also told me that no normal rooms were available at all (completely wrong, called them out on it).
I would go for a suite, but the base level suite isn't worth the extra 33K IMO (its only marginally bigger, no extra amenities). They allow a kid in the standard room type for revenue bookings, albeit with a surcharge. The GP agent called the hotel, and they said that the room wouldn't fit three. The call to the hotel only took one minute. I was thinking of calling again, but I hate being that guy. Anyone here have experience with kids here?

MikeFromTokyo Aug 27, 11 2:41 pm


Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 17006619)
Has anyone booked a room on points for 2 adults and a child (3yo)?
The hotel said it would be fine via email, but GP will only book a suite with points. But GP also told me that no normal rooms were available at all (completely wrong, called them out on it).
I would go for a suite, but the base level suite isn't worth the extra 33K IMO (its only marginally bigger, no extra amenities). They allow a kid in the standard room type for revenue bookings, albeit with a surcharge. The GP agent called the hotel, and they said that the room wouldn't fit three. The call to the hotel only took one minute. I was thinking of calling again, but I hate being that guy. Anyone here have experience with kids here?

The Deluxe Rooms and above should be fine for two adults and one child in a roll away bed.

I suggest calling directly to the property and speaking with the reservations department.

laxsnaogg Aug 29, 11 9:16 am

Just finished a 4 night award stay (8/21-8/25). Used my 2 chase suite night awards, and points for the other 2 nights.

I was given the park suite king for all for nights (without asking), and the front desk was well versed on breakfast for Diamonds (I had read some mixed experiences in this thread). They made it clear (without me asking) that I could order the american breakfast in the room, or visit the buffet downstairs. As others have stated, it was excellent.

They mentioned that there was construction going on, but I did not hear or see anything at all during my stay.

All of the staff were friendly and spoke perfect English. To confirm another point discussed in this thread, I don't feel that I was treated any differently for being an award guest vs a paying guest...I couldn't have been any happier with my stay.

tjbrooks Aug 29, 11 1:50 pm


Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17007172)
The Deluxe Rooms and above should be fine for two adults and one child in a roll away bed.

I suggest calling directly to the property and speaking with the reservations department.

I called back to Gold Passport to just book a suite award (even though it's a waste at 33K, looks like it's just a regular room with a couch). The agent said it would be no problem to book a standard room and have a crib/rollaway. But of course when I got the confirmation, it's for 2 adults, 0 children. I realize now it says in the room descriptions "no rollaway", but good ol' "usable.net" makes that impossible to see on a mobile device.
Luckily when I tried to book my Air Tahiti Nui tickets (after my invalid reservation) they had spelled my wife and son's names wrong, so I'm waiting for that to get done still. So I'll most likely just not add on a quick Paris trip. I have a feeling my type is not wanted at this hotel.

krazieman Aug 31, 11 8:45 am

Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?

ronbo83 Aug 31, 11 10:57 am


Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 17028349)
Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?

As I recall, they brought us a 375 ml bottle of red wine and a small box of chocolates on the first or second night of our trip. We did not mention anything. I would give it the evening and then ask about it the next morning. I am surprised they made you wait until 3 PM to check-in, especially in August which is a very slow month for Paris.

laxsnaogg Aug 31, 11 4:36 pm


Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 17028349)
Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?

I don't think it hurts to inquire. The woman who checked me in had only been there about a week (although she was very well versed about Diamond benefits, etc). It's possible that there might be other staff that are new as well.

For what its worth, I was there last week on a 4 night award stay. My suite was ready at 10:30am; and a box of chocolates was already in the room when we arrived. On the second day, they sent a bottle of champagne and a tray of macaroons; along with a hand written note from the manager.

Firewind Sep 1, 11 12:03 pm

It's not up to the front desk person. It's supposed to be set up earlier in the day. Which can be confounded by a room change at scrimmage. In which case, there's a race between you and room service to get to your room. Sometimes (seldom and not just here) they don't get off of the scrimmage line without a nudge, particularly if room service is slammed. In which case, add the tip, unless you go on walkabout right about then.

ainternational Sep 1, 11 1:13 pm

During one of my stays at the property, the Diamond amenity was absent, so I made a quick call to the front desk and they said it would promptly be there and apologized.

Literally, about 2 minutes later, wait staff came to the room with a bottle of wine and two red wine glasses. Thinking that was the fastest service I've ever seen, I politely thanked the gentlemen and thought little more about it.

Until 10 minutes later when the knock at the door revealed yet another (different) staff member toting another bottle of wine and two glasses. I was caught off guard as he came in and placed it down adjacent to the first. He flinched a bit at seeing the existing one, said nothing, and left the room.

In short order, I realized that the first delivery was intended to be the actual pre-planned Diamond amenity, and evidently when I called to request the "missing amenity", they didn't realize one was en route and had another sent up.

I left the second bottle of wine in the room upon departure. It was a short stay and I don't fancy drinking alone in my room.

VFF1000000 Sep 5, 11 5:59 pm

booked two rooms, two nights this past week (trip report)
 
Used points for both nights. One room was upgraded to large suite, both rooms on sixth floor. This was a lovely hotel with much character, windows that opened, attentive service and great location. The spa was rather small and co-ed. Prices for beverages in the bar on high end (27Euro). Concierge was helpful. As a DM, had no problem with the free breakfast (many meat/cheese/cereal/pastry selections). I'd stay here again, the value for the points vs room cost was a good use of accumulated pts. Bought day pass to the Louve from Concierge, saved us considerable time, we didnt need to wait in line. DM amenity wasnt delivered, need to remind to deliver to room.

krazieman Sep 5, 11 9:26 pm

Probably about 5 mins after my post, someone showed up with the diamond amenity. This may have been due partly to the fact that my room wasn't available until almost 4pm.

Also, I agree that the bar prices were definitely high. No drinks under 25 Euros.

Other than that, great stay, excellent location. The closet/bathroom in the jr. suite was huge. I still think the PH Shanghai has a much better breakfast though.

Stewie Mac Sep 15, 11 11:06 am

another excellent stay at the PHV. I still prefer the PH Ist due to its more intimate/boutique feel, but PHV is a great hotel. Had dinner in Pur' this time, excellent food and service - really terrific Wagyu steak. :D

and answer to secret question: not easy, but with some imagination works pretty well ;)

Firewind Sep 15, 11 11:24 am


Originally Posted by Stewie Mac (Post 17114371)
and answer to secret question: not easy, but with some imagination works pretty well ;)

Smells like Blaise Mautin. :D

Cubswin Sep 15, 11 8:56 pm

I am going to use 4 Chase Hyatt award nights at PHV. I am brand new to Hyatt and although I have done a ton of reading I would still like to clarify these last couple questions, please:

1.. It looks like I will be in a Park Queen or Park Twin for my Chase Hyatt nights, correct (I am a Platinum by way of the card too, obviously)?

2. Is it possible to pay for an upgrade on an award stay (I do this quite often at Hilton) or any other way to get to a higher level room?

3. Is spending 22k on my Chase Hyatt my best bet of reaching Diamond quickly considering there is no way I can do it with stays?

Any other thoughts and advice for a newb doing an award stay here would be appreciated!

peteropny Sep 15, 11 9:15 pm


Originally Posted by Cubswin (Post 17117546)
I am going to use 4 Chase Hyatt award nights at PHV. I am brand new to Hyatt and although I have done a ton of reading I would still like to clarify these last couple questions, please:

1.. It looks like I will be in a Park Queen or Park Twin for my Chase Hyatt nights, correct (I am a Platinum by way of the card too, obviously)?

2. Is it possible to pay for an upgrade on an award stay (I do this quite often at Hilton) or any other way to get to a higher level room?

3. Is spending 22k on my Chase Hyatt my best bet of reaching Diamond quickly considering there is no way I can do it with stays?

Any other thoughts and advice for a newb doing an award stay here would be appreciated!

1. Correct

2. Contact the property after you make the reservation and / or at check-in.

3. Nope - there is no credit for spend that would work towards status (other than getting Platinum for getting the card).

Thunderroad Sep 15, 11 9:15 pm


Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 16966498)
Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. :)


Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16968070)
I've stayed at this hotel, unknowingly, during the French Open -- I only realized it when I saw Tsonga checking out the day after he lost -- and it seemed to me that the suites weren't all taken, if for no other reason than I got one. So I'd say you have a chance.

A very belated thanks for the information, folks.


Originally Posted by cazic99 (Post 16985993)
How does one get 'Upgrades ahead of time"?

Well, there is the Diamond certificate. But in my post which you quoted, I simply meant shelling out more points for a better room. Others who know the program better can comment more.


Originally Posted by Cubswin (Post 17117546)
I am going to use 4 Chase Hyatt award nights at PHV. I am brand new to Hyatt and although I have done a ton of reading I would still like to clarify these last couple questions, please:

1.. It looks like I will be in a Park Queen or Park Twin for my Chase Hyatt nights, correct (I am a Platinum by way of the card too, obviously)?

2. Is it possible to pay for an upgrade on an award stay (I do this quite often at Hilton) or any other way to get to a higher level room?

3. Is spending 22k on my Chase Hyatt my best bet of reaching Diamond quickly considering there is no way I can do it with stays?

Any other thoughts and advice for a newb doing an award stay here would be appreciated!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, Cubswin, but are you saying that one can get Diamond status by spending $22K? AFAIK, that's not correct. Or am I missing something?

stevens397 Sep 15, 11 9:16 pm


Originally Posted by Cubswin (Post 17117546)
3. Is spending 22k on my Chase Hyatt my best bet of reaching Diamond quickly considering there is no way I can do it with stays?

Not sure where you got this but if spending $22K on the Hyatt Visa got you Diamond, there would be one whole hell of a lot of Diamonds! I only wish it were true.

What made you think this? Never heard anything like this before.

BTW, we're going for 5 nights in December with the Hyatt Certificates my wife and I got from the Capitol One card. Using a Diamond Suite upgrade and can't wait to go back to this wonderful hotel.

Cubswin Sep 15, 11 9:30 pm

Sorry guys, I am reading literally hundreds of pages about Hyatt, Continental, Paris, Rome, Park Hyatt Vendome, Rome Cavalieri, etc etc etc and I thought that I read that somewhere.

I am VERY VERY likely mistaken and I apologize for any confusion!

Thanks for you answers!

Cubswin Sep 15, 11 9:49 pm

If anyone has a contact at the hotel to discuss thee possibility of a paid upgrade I would be grateful for a PM, thanks!

I am aware that I can contact reservations but if anyone has someone they have had good luck with in the past I would prefer that if possible.

SMK77 Sep 16, 11 10:20 am


Originally Posted by Cubswin (Post 17117780)
If anyone has a contact at the hotel to discuss thee possibility of a paid upgrade I would be grateful for a PM, thanks!

I am aware that I can contact reservations but if anyone has someone they have had good luck with in the past I would prefer that if possible.

No PM needed. Just call them. They charge the differential for the rooms based on the Hyatt Daily Rate. Easy as that.

stevens397 Sep 22, 11 1:00 pm

Anyone know if a Diamond using a Diamond Suite upgrade - that usually gets a Park King Suite - ever gets upgraded to an Executive Suite?

We are booked with AMEX (using Capital One Hyatt certificates) with a Suite upgrade. I really don't like using AMEX Centurion Travel - yes, they have perks but the agents always know less than I do about where we are going and what we are doing - basically, they take orders.

Spoke to a Virtuoso agent and she contacted the hotel. They are prepared to sell me the Executive suite for 795 Euro per night rather than the 990 on the website. Also offered fourth night free with three paid nights - trip is five nights so it would be one free night. Stayed there once and it was pretty special. The other Virtuoso perks don't mean much as I get most stuff as a Diamond.

Thanks.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 22, 11 1:50 pm


Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17155113)
Anyone know if a Diamond using a Diamond Suite upgrade - that usually gets a Park King Suite - ever gets upgraded to an Executive Suite?

We are booked with AMEX (using Capital One Hyatt certificates) with a Suite upgrade. I really don't like using AMEX Centurion Travel - yes, they have perks but the agents always know less than I do about where we are going and what we are doing - basically, they take orders.

Spoke to a Virtuoso agent and she contacted the hotel. They are prepared to sell me the Executive suite for 795 Euro per night rather than the 990 on the website. Also offered fourth night free with three paid nights - trip is five nights so it would be one free night. Stayed there once and it was pretty special. The other Virtuoso perks don't mean much as I get most stuff as a Diamond.

Thanks.

I would book the Executive Suite at the virtuoso rate with fourth night free. With your Diamond status and the Virtuoso upgrade benefit, you probably will be upgraded to a higher category upon check-in.

Suite upgrades aren't that useful at this property, since they only get you confirmed in the Park Suite (Jr. Suite), which is very nice, but not that much more expensive than the standard and deluxe rooms. The best way to get value out of the suite upgrades is to use them at properties where the suites are significantly more expensive than the rooms.

stevens397 Sep 22, 11 2:02 pm

Arigato, Mike. I agree. All done.

peteropny Sep 22, 11 3:57 pm


Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17155525)
Arigato, Mike. I agree. All done.

My last stay at this property, I booked a Park Suite on awards (all points) and was further upgraded to Park Executive (I did email the property since I had some contact info based upon an earlier stay with some glitches (nothing major) and asked for consideration for a further upgrade and a view of Rue de la Paix rather than a courtyard view). This was the rare exception where I contact the property regarding an upcoming stay.

stevens397 Sep 22, 11 5:17 pm


Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 17156266)
My last stay at this property, I booked a Park Suite on awards (all points) and was further upgraded to Park Executive (I did email the property since I had some contact info based upon an earlier stay with some glitches (nothing major) and asked for consideration for a further upgrade and a view of Rue de la Paix rather than a courtyard view). This was the rare exception where I contact the property regarding an upcoming stay.

At this point, I'm happy to have the Executive Suite guaranteed for only $100 per night. Only sad thing is that this will possibly be my last Diamond stay and all the benefits are being duplicated by Virtuoso!

BTW everyone, one of the other benefits with a standard Virtuoso booking at this hotel is free limo service either from or to the airport. Nice!

ainternational Sep 22, 11 7:27 pm

Wow! These Virtuoso benefits are huge. Thanks for the G2, folks. This will certainly impact my future bookings. I feel like I've been getting screwed up until now!

MikeFromTokyo Sep 23, 11 1:17 am


Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17156732)
At this point, I'm happy to have the Executive Suite guaranteed for only $100 per night. Only sad thing is that this will possibly be my last Diamond stay and all the benefits are being duplicated by Virtuoso!

BTW everyone, one of the other benefits with a standard Virtuoso booking at this hotel is free limo service either from or to the airport. Nice!

The best part is that you probably have a good chance of an upgrade- the Prestige Suite and higher categories are a big step up from the executive suite.

The airport transfer is a huge benefit as this is normally charged at over EUR 200 each way.

RichardInSF Sep 23, 11 10:46 am


Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17158643)
The best part is that you probably have a good chance of an upgrade- the Prestige Suite and higher categories are a big step up from the executive suite.

The airport transfer is a huge benefit as this is normally charged at over EUR 200 each way.

Having stayed several times in what (studying the pictures carefully) I deduce is a prestige suite, I'd agree. What's amazing to me about this hotel is not only how impressive the prestige suite is, but that there are no fewer than five separate categories of suites that are higher than prestige suite!

While the airport transfer may be charged at over E200, I bet you can get a taxi to or from the airport for E80 or less.

peteropny Sep 23, 11 10:51 am


Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17160313)
While the airport transfer may be charged at over E200, I bet you can get a taxi to or from the airport for E80 or less.

Taxi from / to airport is usually around E50.

MikeFromTokyo Sep 23, 11 11:25 am

I have no experience with the PH Vendome's cars, but if the transfers are anything like the George V's transfers- which they should be since they are around the same price- they also will include VIP treatment upon arrival at CDG.

I would also usually choose a taxi given the price difference, but there is definitely significant value to the hotel car transfers beyond what a taxi would offer.

hautecouTours Sep 23, 11 12:24 pm


Originally Posted by calibeachgal (Post 15484310)
Just curious, but is this room the "PARK SUITE KING" room? That's what I have listed on my upcoming reservation, but I really have no idea what to expect.

TIA!

I stayed at the PH Vendome this past May in a Park Suite King. I had two rooms, each with its own entrance and connected. One was a very nice bedroom and the other a sitting room with sofa, chairs and writing area. I also had TWO bathrooms, one off each room. You'll be pleased!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:02 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.