Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 8:50 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just to clarify, the voucher isn't valid for the good restaurant in the hotel, right?
I assume this is the case, but wouldn't it be great if it was valid ! We'll be at PHV in about a month and are strongly considering dining at Pur one night. Right now, I'm looking at Sunday night as many other Paris restaurants are closed then, but I'm wondering if we'll get the "2nd team" at Pur ? I know it shouldn't matter at a Michelin 1-star, but ...
Old May 20, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by skj
I assume this is the case, but wouldn't it be great if it was valid ! We'll be at PHV in about a month and are strongly considering dining at Pur one night. Right now, I'm looking at Sunday night as many other Paris restaurants are closed then, but I'm wondering if we'll get the "2nd team" at Pur ? I know it shouldn't matter at a Michelin 1-star, but ...
It's not good at Pur. Just the lounge, terrace, and bar.

Had similar thoughts re: Pur on a Monday night but doing it tonight anyhow, will see how it goes!
Old May 20, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Went to the bar tonight and was again asked for the voucher, and this time they kept it! The bartender said he needed to hang on to it but perhaps I could get another tomorrow... I said no worries and will talk to front desk tomorrow but there seems to be a lapse in the communication somewhere here...
Interesting. My experience was the complete opposite of this. I left the voucher in the room and didn't even bother using it, but, still noticed the discount applied on my bill when checking out. I assumed the discount had been applied to all F&B on premise, but, maybe, I'll double check the bill later to make sure.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Was there again on Saturday night and they forgot to apply it at check out (but of course immediately did it when I pointed out).
Will be back tomorrow so will have a 3rd experience of the voucher usage in less than 10 days...

PS: will also have dinner at Pur for once...did you try the langoustine ravioli? Morels?
Old May 21, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
Lowly Discoverist here - staying with family in connecting rooms using points later this year. I was curious to see if anyone had experience in getting comped free breakfast at check in at PHV (or any other PH for that matter). Are there any key phrases to mention. I know my status is not the top, but at least I have something. And also the fact that I'm using a ton of points spread over 2 rooms for a week should be worth something, right? Any advice would be much appreciated. I am not above some good natured begging!!
Old May 21, 2019, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Lowly Discoverist here - staying with family in connecting rooms using points later this year. I was curious to see if anyone had experience in getting comped free breakfast at check in at PHV (or any other PH for that matter). Are there any key phrases to mention. I know my status is not the top, but at least I have something. And also the fact that I'm using a ton of points spread over 2 rooms for a week should be worth something, right? Any advice would be much appreciated. I am not above some good natured begging!!
Good luck with that. If I remember correctly, the full breakfast here was €50 per person (granted, a couple of years ago). One of the reasons Globalist was worth it. I do seem to recall 50% discounts on some occasions in the past. They used to have a pastry basket (which was great) and coffee that was a somewhat reasonable alternative. For something substantial, you'll save a lot by going to one of the nearby cafes. One trip, we made it our mission to see if the NYT or Conde Nast (not sure which it was) was correct and tried to find the best croissants in Paris.
vj_rama likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Good luck with that. If I remember correctly, the full breakfast here was €50 per person (granted, a couple of years ago). One of the reasons Globalist was worth it. I do seem to recall 50% discounts on some occasions in the past. They used to have a pastry basket (which was great) and coffee that was a somewhat reasonable alternative. For something substantial, you'll save a lot by going to one of the nearby cafes. One trip, we made it our mission to see if the NYT or Conde Nast (not sure which it was) was correct and tried to find the best croissants in Paris.
Thanks - I definitely don't plan on paying so much at PHV for breakfast with all the options nearby. It just seems to always be raved about online. Will give begging a shot and let you know the outcome!
Old May 21, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Thanks - I definitely don't plan on paying so much at PHV for breakfast with all the options nearby. It just seems to always be raved about online. Will give begging a shot and let you know the outcome!

Oh it is but a bit overrated these days as it the property it's self
Old May 21, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Was there again on Saturday night and they forgot to apply it at check out (but of course immediately did it when I pointed out).
Will be back tomorrow so will have a 3rd experience of the voucher usage in less than 10 days...

PS: will also have dinner at Pur for once...did you try the langoustine ravioli? Morels?
1. Yesterday a manager apologized for the confusion re: the voucher and said there were a couple of new folks working at the bar who didn't know not to take it. You get to keep and reuse the voucher for the whole stay (but only at bar, terrasse, and cheminee/lounge). I have been presenting it (or moreso just flashing it) when I ask for the check, and then the check comes with the 20% discount showing as a line item. Really takes the sting out of the 45 euro cognacs...

2. Pur was a commendable one-michelin-star meal. There were 4 of us, we did the full 8 courses with wine pairing (275 euro). There was a 3-bite starter (cheesy bread, sardine thing, and clam thing) and then a tuna tartare amuse bouche before course one. Then it was white asparagus (yum), abalone (perhaps the most tender I've ever had), duck foie gras (okay, relative to other 1* meals I've had -- but nothing really outstanding in the preparation), john dory fish (same), japanese wagyu (good but very fatty even for wagyu), cheese (amazing, see below -- this was the most memorable part, you can choose as many as you'd like from among 7 cow, 3 sheep, and 4 goat!), rhubarb dessert (great), and chocolate/olive oil dessert (great).The wine pairings were perfect and that was well worth the 90 euro component of the 275 euro price tag... plenty of wine, too (6 or 7 full pours?). The main difficulty was the thick accents of the servers when they spoke English -- of the 4 of us, only I speak French (and I'm fluent, so I ended up speaking with the servers in French), and the other three had a difficult time asking questions and understanding answers. (Indeed, I was better able to understand the servers in French than in English, it was that thick.) This wasn't a problem for me, and I don't think it affected the other diners' experience, but it was surprising considering how good (and indeed nearly unaccented) the English is among very many of the hotel staff including the staff at the bar & lounge. Perhaps we just had two outlier servers on a Monday night, who knows. All in all, good meal, but my general takeaway/thought is that if the most memorable part of the meal is the cheese board, then perhaps it's hard to justify doing the whole 8 course meal... still a great time, though!

Old May 22, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Thanks for the detailed feedback about Pur'. Will think again about dining there tonight. Maybe the best option if allowed would be to just take a main course a la carte and the cheese?

Agree regarding the staff lost about the 20% voucher:
  • 1st time last week: nothing said at check in, showed it when asking for the bill at the bar, had a look at it but didn't take it, applied the discount and told me I didn't need to do anything it would have been deducted at check out anyway (like free breakfast)
  • 2nd time last weekend: nothing said at check in so trusted the bar manager, didn't show anything but it was not deducted at check out (was after I asked for it of course)
  • 3rd time yesterday: I asked at check in, they said just need to show it when asking for the bill but keep it for all stay. When asking for the bill at the bar the waiter applied the discount but requested to keep it...so will go to reception to ask for a new one tonight???
Old May 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Thanks for the detailed feedback about Pur'. Will think again about dining there tonight. Maybe the best option if allowed would be to just take a main course a la carte and the cheese?

• 1st time last week: nothing said at check in, showed it when asking for the bill at the bar, had a look at it but didn't take it, applied the discount and told me I didn't need to do anything it would have been deducted at check out anyway (like free breakfast)
  • 2nd time last weekend: nothing said at check in so trusted the bar manager, didn't show anything but it was not deducted at check out (was after I asked for it of course)
  • 3rd time yesterday: I asked at check in, they said just need to show it when asking for the bill but keep it for all stay. When asking for the bill at the bar the waiter applied the discount but requested to keep it...so will go to reception to ask for a new one tonight???
Seems there is a disconnect with management
Old May 22, 2019, 7:33 am

If you are a cheese fan, then yes! I think a main course followed by the cheese trolley would be a delightful way to go -- perhaps order a cocktail or a glass of champagne when you sit down to have with the amuse bouche etc., and then a glass of wine with the main. If you like port, ask about the dessert wine from Cyprus, they gave it to us with the cheese course and we thought it was very smooth and clean and complemented the cheeses perfectly.

As for whether it's allowed, I don't think anything reasonable is disallowed so long as you are willing to pay the appointed price -- this hotel seemed to get that part of the 5* treatment right, as far as I could tell.

Also, at checkout, the agent proactively checked each tab to make sure I had received the 20% discount (even after I assured him that I had). So perhaps, if you wanted, you could skip the whole "flash the voucher" charade and just wait until checkout to ask for the discount. (Personally, I found it strange that they didn't attach it to the room number and do it automatically, or have the hosts ask your room number when you sit down... although presumably they avoid doing that because of the number of non-hotel guests they seem to get.)
Old May 22, 2019, 9:50 am

Great to see so many recent reports here.

Personally think that these “vouchers” are not luxury — at all. Would be much more classy to just apply all discounts during checkout and save everyone from this stupid accounting game.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Still €50. The pastries are still good - I mainly stuck to those and the sliced meats. We tried the pain perdu due to a review up thread, and it's tasty if you are typically a fan of pain perdu.

The cooked eggs outside of poached were disappointing. The scrambled eggs were pretty hard, reminiscent of the powdered/steamed eggs in a HP, and over-easy eggs arrived over-hard. We ended up primarily ordering eggs benedict. I would not have shelled out €50 per person each day on a leisure trip if breakfast wasn't included for us.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:58 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Pur was a commendable one-michelin-star meal ...
Thank you for the detailed review ! It sounds to me that even though it wasn't fabulous across the board, there were some memorable dishes and no real duds, except perhaps the Wagyu. I especially appreciate your thoughts about the wine parings, as sometimes you wonder what the sommelier was thinking ... other than I need to clear out these bottles.

I think we'll try it during our stay, and decide whether to go with one of the prix fixe options or al a carte when the menus are available. If nothing else, it will be nice to add another 3000 or so points as we get ever closer to lifetime Glob.
platbrownguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.