Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by rsh913
We will be at PHV for 7 nights this summer on two connecting rooms. Our second week long stay at PHV.
However they dont allow access to kids (8 & 4) to their spa area. I was wondering if any one can recommend pools we could take our kids to near the PHV.

Thanks.
The Ritz on the next block has a beautiful pool and spa. They are scheduled to complete the renovation this summer. Do not know if children are permitted. The next closest would be the Hotel Costes. Beautiful pool but may only be for hotel guests. 5 minute walk from PHV.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I tried booking a P&C + DSU here for March 2016.
They have rooms available for P&C.
They have rooms available for DSU.
They "haven't loaded" rooms for P&C + DSU. They don't know when they might be available and they don't know how far out they are booking P&C + DSU. Maybe they are only open thru August, or maybe October or maybe December - who knows?

I went ahead and booked the P&C room, but since you can't check this stuff online, I have to call back at some interval and go through the whole process.

Have any of you all been through this?
Old May 4, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by texdoc
They "haven't loaded" rooms for P&C + DSU. They don't know when they might be available and they don't know how far out they are booking P&C + DSU. Maybe they are only open thru August, or maybe October or maybe December - who knows?

I went ahead and booked the P&C room, but since you can't check this stuff online, I have to call back at some interval and go through the whole process.

It comes down to how much you want to stay here and what your willing to pay.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:16 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

IMO you made the right decision to go ahead and booked the P&C rate. Since you are a Diamond, you'll likely be upgraded to the Park Deluxe category anyways which is only slightly smaller than the Park Suite which the DSU confirms into (not a true 2 room suite). Of course there is the possibility if you've confirmed the Park Suite of being further upgraded into the Park Executive Suite (true 2 room suite).
Old May 4, 2015, 9:19 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I think that if you have a confirmed P&C booking and if they offer DSU for your nights, then you can use your upgrade. I am _not_ aware of any provision which states that you can only use a DSU if you pay a sufficiently high rate. I believe that any paid rate qualifies for a DSU.

Old May 4, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I think that if you have a confirmed P&C booking and if they offer DSU for your nights, then you can use your upgrade. I am _not_ aware of any provision which states that you can only use a DSU if you pay a sufficiently high rate. I believe that any paid rate qualifies for a DSU.

Yes, I've used the DSU on P&C and think it is an awesome play - this last year I did a week at Andaz Maui and a week at Grand Hyatt Kauai with P&C and DSU.

With regard to Peteropny - one problem is that I am booking 2 rooms for 5 people. My wife and I and our 2 kids plus my mother-in-law for her 70th b-day. The deluxe rooms and suites allow 3 person per room, so I wanted to upgrade at least 1 room for sure. It would suck to get there, to have 2 rooms, not get upgraded, and then only allow 2 per room.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:40 am

Yes, I've used the DSU on P&C and think it is an awesome play - this last year I did a week at Andaz Maui and a week at Grand Hyatt Kauai with P&C and DSU.

With regard to Peteropny - one problem is that I am booking 2 rooms for 5 people. My wife and I and our 2 kids plus my mother-in-law for her 70th b-day. The deluxe rooms and suites allow 3 person per room, so I wanted to upgrade at least 1 room for sure. It would suck to get there, to have 2 rooms, not get upgraded, and then only allow 2 per room.
The hotel is very good with upgrades, so it is likely you will get a deluxe room if you just reserve a standard award room. You can also keep checking back to see if they will allow you to use your DSU.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:11 pm

I'm used my two chase free nights at this property and they are offering upgrade to the Park Suite for 200 euros. Is the park suite worth it compared to the queen room? I do have Diamond status, so hoping for an upgrade to a deluxe room.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dailow
I'm used my two chase free nights at this property and they are offering upgrade to the Park Suite for 200 euros. Is the park suite worth it compared to the queen room? I do have Diamond status, so hoping for an upgrade to a deluxe room.
The hotel refers to its Park Suites as "Junior Suites" and it makes sense. It's a very generously sized room with ample space, especially if you need lots of closet space and a huge bathroom. That's the real difference. It's not a huge jump from a Deluxe King to a Park Suite, but if you can part with those 200 Euros, by all means, go for it to lock in the Park Suite.
This property has plenty of variety, even within the same category. I've seen some beautiful Park Suites (much nicer than some of the Park Executives), but I've also seen some dark, dreadful set of rooms, which were more of an afterthought than anything else. The hotel is wonderful and very generous, so let them know your likes and where you'd prefer to be - 2nd and 3rd floor Park Suites have elegant, high ceilings and some overlook Rue de la Paix. Top floor Park Suites don't have high ceilings (and you can hear the rain on the roof), but some offer Eiffel Tower views, which is rare at this hotel!
In other words: if you get a beautiful room or not, doesn't necessarily have to correlate with the category you book, but chances are higher if you splurge a little.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dailow
I have been offered an upgrade at point of checkin ( lower than e200) and it was well worth it. I also book with extra points to ensure a suite, oh be it the smaller one, and since I am a regular customer I usually get a larger room, but remember I have been staying here for many years cash and or points and I tend not to "press" at check in if you look close one can see some "distain" when being pressed for an upgrade. I mean really

Enjoy it's a wonderful property.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:37 am

Does this sound right for Park Hyatt Vendome?

Hi everyone!

(I am a diamond member if that helps.) I used 30k points a night for 3 nights (total 90k) for a standard room, since I'm bringing my elderly mother with my husband, she wanted to stay in the same room with us because she didn't want to be alone. rather than chance it and risk not getting a complimentary upgrade, I emailed the hotel and was given the option to pay 90 Euros to guarentee an upgrade to the Park Deluxe room and pay 100 euros for a rollaway bed a night.
For those who have stayed at Park Hyatt Vendome, what did everyone else pay?
Should I just chance it and see if they will upgrade me upon arrival?
Thank you!
Old May 6, 2015, 11:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The problem is that you have booked something different than you want guaranteed in advance, and that's not how it works. The Diamond benefits clearly state that upgrades are dependent on availability at the time of check-in.

Chances are good that you will get a Deluxe room when it is available then. But when the hotel is fully booked for those types (or other Diamond or frequent guests get priority) you will be out of luck.....

Why not go for P+C and a DSU and then you will have a guaranteed room type that has a max occupancy of 3 persons? And you might even be able to get a twin suite guaranteed since these might not be in such high demand.

I have no experience with the prices they have quoted you, but why would they be any different what they would charge anybody else.....

Last edited by peteropny; May 6, 2015 at 12:53 pm Reason: edit out irrelevant link after merging
Old May 6, 2015, 11:41 am

Per this blogger http://weekendblitz.com/park-hyatt-p...w-paris-france he paid substantially less and he had no status, just the standard Gold passport entry level default.
Another thing I tried on this booking was the “eStandby Upgrade® program” that Hyatt (and Marriott + others?) participate in. I’ve seen it a few times but always thought it to be gimmicky and never tried it. The minimum room upgrade offered was to a “Park Deluxe King” for 50 € (~$69), nothing that really interested me

Again this person had NO status and stated so in his blog,
I would have loved P+C and use a DSU but when I booked this a year ago that option was not available despite multiple attempts in checking.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by booberroad
Per this blogger http://weekendblitz.com/park-hyatt-p...w-paris-france he paid substantially less and he had no status, just the standard Gold passport entry level default.
Another thing I tried on this booking was the “eStandby Upgrade® program” that Hyatt (and Marriott + others?) participate in. I’ve seen it a few times but always thought it to be gimmicky and never tried it. The minimum room upgrade offered was to a “Park Deluxe King” for 50 € (~$69), nothing that really interested me

Again this person had NO status and stated so in his blog,
I would have loved P+C and use a DSU but when I booked this a year ago that option was not available despite multiple attempts in checking.
Since you're Diamond - I think you're likely to be upgraded to the Park Deluxe category - no guarantees however. The quote for the guaranteed upgrade is not unreasonable and I hope they don't guarantee upgrades in advance. The higher upgrade cost that was quoted for you compared to the blogger is that they weren't confirmed in advance (the e-standby upgrade is just upon check-in). I don't know what the typical charge is for the rollaway. Perhaps you should check to see if a suite is available for your stay strictly on points (45k per night with a 3 night min) - this will confirm you into a Park Suite (larger one room room - not really a true suite - but it is larger than the Park Deluxe category) - at check-in it is possible that you'll be further upgraded into the Park Executive Suite category (true 2 room suite).
Old May 6, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by booberroad
Hi everyone!

(I am a diamond member if that helps.) I used 30k points a night for 3 nights (total 90k) for a standard room, since I'm bringing my elderly mother with my husband, she wanted to stay in the same room with us because she didn't want to be alone. rather than chance it and risk not getting a complimentary upgrade, I emailed the hotel and was given the option to pay 90 Euros to guarentee an upgrade to the Park Deluxe room and pay 100 euros for a rollaway bed a night.
For those who have stayed at Park Hyatt Vendome, what did everyone else pay?
Should I just chance it and see if they will upgrade me upon arrival?
Thank you!
From where I sit you did the right thing in emailing the hotel in advance, I have found over the years that I have been staying here ( at least once a year) that if you ask politely in advance most of the time your good to go. While some may say "your entitled" to an upgrade that is just not true. IF there are higher graded rooms available then yes you should get them. I have seen some sad cases of fellow Americans at the check in desks whining and or demanding an upgrade UGH

I would say this if your really concerned you opt for the add on fee requesting if possible be given a two room suite if available. These are what we get when there and their great rooms. Also call the Diamond desk and if you have the My Concierge beta use them.

Good luck it's a great property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.