FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

hautecouTours Oct 14, 2011 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mcavin (Post 17208739)
Staying at the PH-V over NYE 2011-2012. Looking for a top-notch restaraunt at which to celebrate New Year's with the to-be-MRS (she'll find out... that night).

Any suggestions?

I was in Paris in May for my birthday and took myself to lunch (100euro) at Le Jules Verne, the Michelin-rated restaurant atop the Eiffel Tower. Although probably twice that for dinner, I bet the view is even more spectacular at night. The food was quite good and the service excellent.

TraveltheWorld Oct 14, 2011 9:51 am

Originally Posted by denniskwan (Post 17270892)
Yes, they are very responsive. They can also help you to book other restaurants in Paris even not in their list.

Thank you all for the help. I've contacted them and received a reply in less than 4 hours. Third trip to PHV and looking forward to it already

MikeFromTokyo Oct 14, 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mcavin (Post 17208739)
Staying at the PH-V over NYE 2011-2012. Looking for a top-notch restaraunt at which to celebrate New Year's with the to-be-MRS (she'll find out... that night).

Any suggestions?

These are my favorites-

L'Arpege is the very accomplished restaurant by chef Alain Passard. It is sensational. http://www.alain-passard.com/

L'Astrance is also superb and not to be missed. It is by Chef Pascal Barbot who started at L'Arpege working under Alain Passard-- no wonder why I also love this restaurant... http://scope.lefigaro.fr/restaurants...trance/static/

L'Astrance on Google Maps

I also second Le Cinq at Hotel George V. Eric Briffard might well be my favorite chef in the world. I used to eat at his previous restaurant before he went to Le Cinq, and the food and wines were simply sensational.

If this is for New Year's Eve, I would definitely suggest booking as soon as possible to ensure availability. The Concierge at the PH can make the reservation for you.

stevens397 Oct 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Well Mike, some of us would like to be adopted by you! Prices would be high in dollars, now multiply by 1.35! But they do sound great.

mreplus Oct 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Using a 33k/nt suite award is it possible to reserve the Vendome suite? I'm just curious if there's any special way to call and ask for availability on these rooms..

tjbrooks Oct 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by mreplus (Post 17274898)
Using a 33k/nt suite award is it possible to reserve the Vendome suite? I'm just curious if there's any special way to call and ask for availability on these rooms..

The only way to guarantee something better than a Park "Suite" is to pay the Hyatt Daily Rate difference in cash.

missydarlin Oct 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17274252)
These are my favorites-

L'Arpege is the very accomplished restaurant by chef Alain Passard. It is sensational. http://www.alain-passard.com/

L'Astrance is also superb and not to be missed. It is by Chef Pascal Barbot who started at L'Arpege working under Alain Passard-- no wonder why I also love this restaurant... http://scope.lefigaro.fr/restaurants...trance/static/

L'Astrance on Google Maps

I also second Le Cinq at Hotel George V. Eric Briffard might well be my favorite chef in the world. I used to eat at his previous restaurant before he went to Le Cinq, and the food and wines were simply sensational.

If this is for New Year's Eve, I would definitely suggest booking as soon as possible to ensure availability. The Concierge at the PH can make the reservation for you.

LOVE L'Arpege!

I don't know what your budget is for top notch ...but you're looking easily at a 1500 USD dinner at L'Arpege.

If your budget isn't quite ready for that...

Les Ombres sits on top of the Quai Branly museum, quite close to the Eiffel tower and has a glass ceiling. I've only been there for lunch, but the light show is supposed to be quite nice from there.

PETERPNYC Oct 15, 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 17275697)
The only way to guarantee something better than a Park "Suite" is to pay the Hyatt Daily Rate difference in cash.

IS 33 k the award price for a Park Suite. I just applied for the Hyatt card for my wife and me and will prolly get the sapphire 50K deal for her which I already have .

If the 4 free nights using the 2 free nights award for standard room doesnt work out, would it be easier to get 4 Park Suite nights for 132K ?

I dont know were I would get the extra miles ? My bonus 50k x 2 + spend = 106K UR points . Not going to spend $26K to get the points . How can I work this out ??

Have my heart set on getting wife to Paris , although I personally am not thrilled .

I dont know what I would do with the 4 free nights then .

TIA Logistics logistics :p

ldsant Oct 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17278275)
IS 33 k the award price for a Park Suite. I just applied for the Hyatt card for my wife and me and will prolly get the sapphire 50K deal for her which I already have .

If the 4 free nights using the 2 free nights award for standard room doesnt work out, would it be easier to get 4 Park Suite nights for 132K ?

I dont know were I would get the extra miles ? My bonus 50k x 2 + spend = 106K UR points . Not going to spend $26K to get the points . How can I work this out ??

Have my heart set on getting wife to Paris , although I personally am not thrilled .

I am confused. I'm not understanding why there is an issue here is your "heart is set on getting your wife to Paris. . ." You're not going to be in the room that much when you're in Paris, are you? And if you have 4 free nights at this property why not just enjoy what you already have? And before anybody flames me I'm sincerely asking why the poster is seeming to try so hard to get more and "game" things when you already have 4 free nights in a hotel in Paris.

slocouple Oct 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Tell your wife I'd be glad to share a twin room with her if you're not thrilled by Paris. We have spent 9 award nights at this property and 5 at HR Madeleine and either of us would be willing to commit to spending every future award night we ever earn at either property. Please don't go with trepidation -- take a standard room (and save the additional points for later), and let Paris work her magic with you --- just go with the flow and enjoy the City.

yoyo Oct 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant (Post 17280528)
I am confused. I'm not understanding why there is an issue here is your "heart is set on getting your wife to Paris. . ." You're not going to be in the room that much when you're in Paris, are you? And if you have 4 free nights at this property why not just enjoy what you already have? And before anybody flames me I'm sincerely asking why the poster is seeming to try so hard to get more and "game" things when you already have 4 free nights in a hotel in Paris.

Obviously himself is not into going to Paris thingy but is willing to go the extra mile to give his better half the best possible stay. Nothing wrong here. Suite > standard room in most people's books.

stevens397 Oct 15, 2011 9:16 pm

1. The standard room is 22,000 and the Park Suite ( a lovely Junior Suite) is 33,000. It is NOT hard to redeem - rooms are usually available when you go.

2. The ONLY way to upgrade your free Visa nights is either by being a Hyatt Diamond or by paying the hotel the difference in price. That said, the difference can be less than what you see on the internet site. I got the Capital One card awhile ago (as did my wife) when we got the 100,000 miles match. We were able back then to redeem the miles for a total of $3600 in Hyatt certificates. The rate for an Executive Suite is 990 Euro but my Virtuoso travel agent was able, working directly with the hotel, to get a rate of 795 Euro with a fourth night free. It is possible a good agent can call the hotel, explain you have four free nights and see what the best deal you can get is.

3. You said you don't know what you would do with the free nights - are you kidding??!! You could purchase 26,000 Hyatt points for a bit over $600 which would give you enough for the four free suite nights using the Chase UR points. Then you would have do figure out where to go with the free nights. I can assure you, if you really, really put your mind to it, you might find a nice place! We have had some lovely stays at the PH Washington DC and it's a great city to be a tourist in (our son and his family live there). In fact, this might be my preferred option - $600+ for four nights in a suite in Paris and four nights somewhere else - a pretty good yield!

MikeFromTokyo Oct 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17280883)
We were able back then to redeem the miles for a total of $3600 in Hyatt certificates. The rate for an Executive Suite is 990 Euro but my Virtuoso travel agent was able, working directly with the hotel, to get a rate of 795 Euro with a fourth night free. It is possible a good agent can call the hotel, explain you have four free nights and see what the best deal you can get is.

Were you able to use the Hyatt certificates on a Virtuoso booking?

I have no experience with this, but I am just wondering if this would pose a problem because of the % commission the Hotel will have to pay the agent will be based upon the full EUR amount on the reservation.

I don't know how the certs work, and whether or not the hotel actually receives the full USD amount when they are redeemed. If the certs constitute a discount (like the Costco certs), the hotel could end up having to pay commission on money they are not receiving.

stevens397 Oct 16, 2011 6:18 pm

The original reservation was thru AMEX Centurion and it was changed to the Virtuoso agent. Both knew about the Hyatt certificates and it is a non-issue - they are not discount certificates and, some argue, even a better deal than a credit card for the hotel since they get to screw you a bit on the exchange rate!

But it is probably moot - don't know how I would get those certificates again now that Capital One is not including them as a redemption option.

PETERPNYC Oct 17, 2011 2:21 am

Originally Posted by ldsant (Post 17280528)

First of all so far I don't have anything. My app for the chase Hyatt card online got the we will get back to you message and I have not applied for my wife's card yet.

I have the sapphire card and if I get turned dwn I will have her apply for the sapphire instead and try to go to VENDOMME using 100k UR points we will have.

And for trying to get more and more I thought that was the goal of most FTers.
My wife is very spoiled and both the room and the lobby itself are important criteria for her .

Excuse me if I sound greedy , but I am trying to stretch my retired money as far as I can.